Should deniro have played max cherry?

. . . apparently deniro felt he should play max cherry, the lead, in jackie brown. i started thinking about it and it slowly sunk into my wooden brain that since deniro is such a massive star compared to robert forster (who?) he may have felt he deserved the lead. maybe he was entitled to the role? it speaks favorably of deniro that he was willing to take a secondary role in the film. louis is hardly secondary. forster nailed max cherry though and deniro was perfect as louis . . .

I just watched the movie again today and its so great. I love it just the way it is. I wouldnt want anything changed.

I’m not sure whether the dispute was about the role or about the salary that comes with the role. who knows what went on behind the scenes though… I guess it’s never easy for a relatively young/hip/new director to direct someone as a-list and celeb as deNiro, especially if you’re casting such as star in a “minor” role for low pay… I dunno… I think Jackie Brown was cast fine. even though I hated Jackson’s fashion style he was sporting and I don’t get why Jackie and Max didn’t really hook up. Jeez, both are way too old to be single. and they had money… weirdos…

NO. NO. NO. And again: NO.

Robert Forster is a great and vastly underappreciated actor, and Quentin got the best out of him. Quentin wouldn’t have fit the part, DeNiro also would have been different, in a bad way.

DeNiro couldn’t have done better than Forster. I think DeNiro was highly un-utilised in the role of Louis, and by that I mean, it could have been anybody in that role.

I’m happy that they sorted out their differences, and that DeNiro was in a QT movie, but as for all this recently drudged up BS… Let it lie. It’s just an everyday Hollywood occurance, that’s been brought forth into the public eye by some vendictive wanker.

Not worth making a deal out of it. Come on guys.

I don’t like a lot this kind of thinking because you’re the big star of the movie you have to play the lead. I think it’s really cool when very well-known actors play a secondary role. It shows they don’t take themselves too seriously.

I love De Niro acting, but trying to imagine him instead of Forster playing Max, I can’t really know what it would have been. Forster did an awesome contribution in Jackie Brown. He was perfect.

. . . had deniro played cherry, jackie brown could have been very much a “robert deniro” vehicle as opposed to a quentin tarantino picture. i think it’s perfect as is too . . .

[quote=“21grams”]
I don’t like a lot this kind of thinking because you’re the big star of the movie you have to play the lead. I think it’s really cool when very well-known actors play a secondary role. It shows they don’t take themselves too seriously.

I love De Niro acting, but trying to imagine him instead of Forster playing Max, I can’t really know what it would have been. Forster did an awesome contribution in Jackie Brown. He was perfect.
[/quote]

100% agreed

wtf kind of question is this?