Quentin Marathon '05 - Jackie Brown Week 1

Watch the film Jackie Brown from September 9 to 11 and talk about it in this topic for the next week. The first film in the Quentin Marathon will start in just a few days.

I hope, Seb won´t kill me… I made the topic sticky for the Marathon days.

it starts tomorrow then?

Well, it techniqually starts on the 10th. But watch it that day, or a day earlier or a day after.

I have finished watching so now lets begin! The first thing I would like to bring up are the acting preformances and the music!

All of the acting is great. What really gets my attention is Deniro’s performance. He doesnt say but ten lines in the movie but he plays the part so well.

The music is also very good. 110th street is great in the movie. I love the Johnny Cash song too. I never really noticed it before. Well I mean I noticed it but never really paid attention.

I would like to bring up the great lines in the movie. Or at least your favorite. Mine is “AK-47. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherfucker in the room…accept no subsitutes.”

DeNero and Jackson deserve the best mentions for acting, Grier was wonderful, this was her comeback movie although it never really sent her anywhere after JB. The music was consisted of old 50s pop, which was great. Also one rap song and Roy Ayers music. The Johnny Cash song was really good, the only annoying part was the cheering in the backround.

The dialouge, was obviously a wonderful thing. I mean its a mother fucking QT movie!

BTW, don’t feel free to still join!

Do you mean feel free to join or dont join?

I forgot to say this but I would like to ask everybody if Jackie Brown is their favorite or what position is it in your favorite tarantino movie list. It is almost my favorite. The acting alone makes me almost give it to Jackie Brown.

[quote=“QT Fan”]
Do you mean feel free to join or dont join?
[/quote]

Feel free to still JOIN.

Okay, that’s what I thought.

Back on topic, talk about these different things. You don’t need to talk about them all, just one or a few of them.

01.Acting Preformances

02.The Music

03.The Dialouge/The Writing

04.The Mall Scene

05.DVD Quality

06.QT’s mistakes and things that were a great idea

Add more if you wish!

I nearly forgot about dialogue. I love how Quentin managed to add his style and his dialogue to Rum Punch. It takes a truely talented director/writter to do that. I didnt see any mistakes in the movie but I wasnt watching for the mistakes.

The mall was scene was terrific. He kinda did the same thing that he did in Pulp Ficiton. He told the story from a different point of view. It’s really great how he puts up the time to show what is going on.

[quote=“CopperHead”]
[/quote]

i think to shoot the film open matte is a mistake… I don#t like that, i feel kinda cheated :slight_smile:

[quote]I forgot to say this but I would like to ask everybody if Jackie Brown is their favorite or what position is it in your favorite tarantino movie list. It is almost my favorite. The acting alone makes me almost give it to Jackie Brown.[/quote]

I think Tarantino got better with every movie. My favourite, in order is

1. KB Vol.2
  2. KB Vol.1
  3. JB
  4. PF
  5. RD

I love, love, love Jackie Brown. The acting (Robert Forster!!), the music (Delfonics!!), the pacing, the dialogue. It’s so beautifully slow and wildly entertaining.

01.Acting Preformances

Sam Jackson, de Niro, Forster, Grier, Keaton ALL did a great job. I especially liked Forsters performance, and I really can’t figure why he isn’t on any A-list for male actors in Hollywood (the guy doesn’t get any good roles. :-</E>)

02.The Music

The soundtrack is awesome and -imo- it fights over “#1 Tarantino Sondtrack” with Kill Bill Vol.1. But in the movie, the music feels kinda “put in there”, like when Jackie turns on the Delfonics when she’s at home with Max Cherry, or when Ordell listens to Cherrys Delfonics tape in the car when they get to the office, but it doesn’t bother me at all.

03.The Dialouge/The Writing

I haven’t read got the chanche to read E. Leonard’s “Rum Punch”, so I can’t say how much is QT and how much is in the book. Anyhow, I loved the dialogue, not as much as in Pf but I loved it.

04.The Mall Scene

It’s great the first time you see it, the other times I preferd the “hanging around with the characters” parts of the movie over the Mall scene. It’s great though, Louis getting nervous and Forster looking around (he looks great when he does that :smiley:)

05.DVD Quality

The USA/UK Collectors Edition (2discs) is awesome. I’d like to see them do the same thing for KB.

I didn’t see any mistakes by QT.

more i see it the more it reminds me a film noir, because it is, a criminal (ordell), a femme fatale (jackie), a cop (ray) and an odd man out (max), noir mixed with blaxpoitation here and there, the music is perfect, still my favorite QT score, funky, jazzy and smooth, like the film is, its a smart film, clever

JACKIE BROWN is some of QTs finest work. Its the perfect hybrid of Elmore Leonard and Tarantino. You get QTs So Cal atmosphere/Blaxploitation influences mixed with Elmore Leonard’s own world and characters. The thing thats so great is its really a perfect hybrid of both writers styles. Then you have Tarantino’s masterful direction which adds another stylized layer to the story being told.

PAM GRIER: I love Pam in this film. The last thing I had really seen her in before JB was Above The Law, shes always good, but I really enjoyed this role and the whole way QT made it a tribute to her. Sexy, tough, and sugar sweet, thats Pam.

DENIRO: When I first watched Jackie, I didnt know what DeNiro was up to. I kind of though he wasnt doing very much acting, but after I realized that Louis is SUPPOSED to be sluggish and punchy, it totally made sense. One of the reasons I loved Tarantinos films from the beginning is his great characters and Jackie Brown has Elmore Leonard characters, but you still feel like theyre QTs characters as well.

MUSIC: The music is as always with QT perfectly placed and chosen. You get the funkiness, the soulful sounds, music from Coffy, The Big Doll House, Vampyros Lesbos all mixed into this film which makes it a great thing to listen to as well as watch.

What else can I say? Its a masterpiece of Elmore Leonard/Tarantino cinema. and its my favorite Leonard book to film adaptation.

[quote=“QT Fan”]
The mall scene was terrific. He kinda did the same thing that he did in Pulp Ficiton. He told the story from a different point of view. It’s really great how he puts up the time to show what is going on.
[/quote]

I think that scene was already in the book. I read it since a while now, but I can remember it was there.

I know but how Quentin did it kicked ass.

exactly, the entire mall scene and the follow up to it very much reminded me of the last half hour of The Good, Bad & Ugly, all these characters wanting the same thing: The Money! They woke up with that thought on their mind: Today is the day im gonna get rich, and i love that, its really great