Jackie Brown movie references tally

Everyone rewatch Jackie Brown and post references to movies please. Just like we did with Kill Bill

Opening shot reminiscent of The Graduate

"Long Time Woman" (Song that plays when Jackie’s in jail) is sung by Pam and originally appeared in Jack Hill’s Big Doll House

Many other songs that appear throughout the movie are lifted from another Jack Hill classic starring Pam, Coffy

(Kind of an alternate universe one)

Bridget Fonda is watching her dad on TV when she’s watching Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry

Could the song by Bobby Womack “Across 110th Street” be a reference to the film “Across 110th Street”??? Womack wrote the song for that film.

Kill Bill Vol.1 (how cool is that? Quentin’s films are a part of pop culture even in his film universe)

When The Bride is walking through the airport in Toyko. That resembles the long credit walk for Jackie in the begining of the film.

good eye zissou, wherever I go, whatever I see becomes Quentin Tarantino to me.

When Louis Gara and Ordell Robbie are in the car together Ordell asks Louis if he’s bullshitting about the money and Melanie being dead. Louis responds by repeatedly saying " how could you ask me that… how could you ask me that…" The same exact way Joe Pesci say it to Robert De Niro in RAGING BULL when Ray La Motta asks his brother Joey if he’s sleeping with his wife. Joey repeatedly says " how could you ask me that… how could you ask me that…" I really think that was a total steal from RAGING BULL. anyone else agree?

[quote=“The Taurus Queen”]
When Louis Gara and Ordell Robbie are in the car together Ordell asks Louis if he’s bullshitting about the money and Melanie being dead. Louis responds by repeatedly saying " how could you ask me that… how could you ask me that…" The same exact way Joe Pesci say it to Robert De Niro in RAGING BULL when Ray La Motta asks his brother Joey if he’s sleeping with his wife. Joey repeatedly says " how could you ask me that… how could you ask me that…" I really think that was a total steal from RAGING BULL. anyone else agree?
[/quote]

hell yeah! now that you say it! i just watched raging bull some weeks back! you’re right, that could be a reference! nice finding

What about in Superfly when he is going down the elevator and his girlfriend comes in, he dumps the money into the bag and put clothes into the briefcase. Sorta like what happened at the end of Jackie Brown…a little bit anyways.

I saw a reference to Jackie Brown, but I didn’t find a better place to post this so sorry if I’m mistaken. In the PC videogame “Max Payne 2: the fall of Max Payne” there’s a black woman in the second level. If you listen closely to the chatter between two thugs in one part of the level, you’ll hear them say something like “… once the guys have Jackie Brown in there taken care of…”. The woman’s name was not actually Jackie Brown.

Having watched Vanishing Point last night I was thinking about Bridget Fonda offering a fuck in Jackie Brown could actually refer to the naked biker chick and be Quentins suggestion how Kowalski should have reacted. What do you think? I mean Vanishing Point is also offering a scene with rattlesnakes in the desert (Natural Born Killers) and is referred to in Death Proof.

Melanie watchs Italian crime film Mad Dog Killer with Helmut Berger. I just love the dialog:

Ordell: Is that Rutger Hauer?

Melanie: No… it’s Helmut Berger

I always thought that the way Tarantino introduces Bridget Fonda’s character (how the camera pans from beind her to reveal her face), was reminiscent to the way Leone reveals her granddad Henry Fonda’s face in Once Upon A Time in the West.

[quote]When Ordell tells Melanie to pick up the phone and she grudgingly does so and hands it over quickly, that’s a direct reference to Truck Turner (1974). [/quote]

Just edited that to the wiki.

when robert forster picks up pam grier in jail. he’s reading a novel: London Match (tbc) from the Game/set/match trilogy by Lein Deigthon. It’s a serie of great spy novels. QT spoke about it twice. after Pulp Fiction, he said that this is the kind of material he’d like to adapt for a TV series.

and again after death proof. he said, he read the first book years ago and now was reading the three of them in a row and was more or less trying to figure out how to adapt it into a 3 hrs movie.

Jackie Brown is a totally awesome movie and was a great way to reintroduce a famous actress in Pam Grier, she is such a amazing woman with wonderful features that are timeless.

Keyvive

I like the moment when the veins pop out on Ordell’s forehead. It’s a quiet moment in the front seat of a van, he’s sitting there next to Louis, he’s just heard that he’s lost his retirement fund of $500,000, and he’s thinking hard. Quentin Tarantino lets him think. Just holds the shot, nothing happening. Then Ordell looks up and says, It's Jackie Brown.'' He's absolutely right. She's stolen his money. In the movies people like him hardly ever need to think. The director has done all their thinking for them. One of the pleasures ofJackie Brown,’’ Tarantino’s new film, based on a novel by Elmore Leonard, is that everybody in the movie is smart. Whoever is smartest will live.