Something I didn't get

I saw Jackie Brown again last night and I enjoyed it more than ever, but during the swith (the real one), something caught my attention:

After Jackie gives Melaine the bag, with the cherry on top, she rushes out and pays for the dress. She says to the lady in the store that somebody left a bag with beachtowels in one of the dressingrooms. Jackie walks away and Max goes up to the lady and explains that his wife left a bag of beachtowels there. She of course says that he just can go and get them and he does. The half million in the bag is unmarked, while Mel’s cherry and the rest of it is marked by Ray.

First of all; Jackie and Max should’ve never told the lady about the bag of towels, cause if something went wrong, the police definitely would interrogate her and she would’ve been able to identify Jackie and Max.

Second; the story Jackie tells Ray becomes more believable when Mel gets shot by Louis, cause she’s lying there dead with 10k of marked bills. Jackie never could’ve guessed that.

Is it something I missed or did Quentin Tarantino put the part with the store-lady in the script just to stretch the story?

read the book and probably you find out the answer

[quote]First of all; Jackie and Max should’ve never told the lady about the bag of towels, cause if something went wrong, the police definitely would interrogate her and she would’ve been able to identify Jackie and Max.[/quote]

The whole thing would have been alot more obvious if Max would have gone in the dressingroom without asking. Furthermore, if Max would get the bag handed over by Jackie, it would be very obvious too because she had an “appointment” with the ATF guys and they could have been spotted together. So, this arrangement was the least dangerous one.

[quote]Second; the story Jackie tells Ray becomes more believable when Mel gets shot by Louis, cause she’s lying there dead with 10k of marked bills. Jackie never could’ve guessed that.[/quote]

Correct.

Is it something I missed or did Quentin Tarantino put the part with the store-lady in the script just to stretch the story?[/quote]

I think so, but read the book, you seem interested enough and I’m sure the answers lay in the book…