Rum punch

To everyone who has read “Rum Punch” the novel by Elmore Leonard.

Did you like that book? Do you think QT did a good job, considering the length of the novel?

the official tarantino.info shopping mall page:

<LINK_TEXT text=“The Quentin Tarantino Archives - Everything QT since 1999 … &Itemid=48”>The Quentin Tarantino Archives - Everything QT since 1999</LINK_TEXT>

(rum punch info plus links)

Sebastian, you ever read Elmore Leonard’s “The Switch.” Its the first book that we get to see Ordell and Louis together. Melanie is in it too.

This is the book that Quentin shoplifted from K-mart when he was 16. I wonder if Elmore Leonard would’a still been an executive producer on Jackie Brown if he knew that? Ofcourse he would.

I wonder if Jackie Brown would’ve been so cool if they lets say had casted Patty Arquette for the role.

I mean, it would have been more sexy, but it wouldn’t have had that style? what do you think? I mean…

[quote]I wonder if Jackie Brown would’ve been so cool if they lets say had casted Patty Arquette for the role.

I mean, it would have been more sexy, but it wouldn’t have had that style? what do you think? I mean…[/quote]

Nahh. The whole movie was made around Pam Grier. Patty isnt old enough to play Jackie Brown either. I dont think Patricia Arquette is even that hot. The only movie she was hot in was True Romance. But I never really liked her in other movies at all. Pam Grier has a total sexiness to her. She also has all that history from the movies she made in the 70s. To me, Pam is as sexy as they come.

Theres only ONE Jackie Brown, and thats Pam Grier.

in the novel, she’s white, though.

i don’t say i don’t like pam grier or anything, HELL NO, its just i am always thinking about how would it be if they didn’t cast an “african-american” (that is such a stupid word)…

whatever.

[quote]in the novel, she’s white, though.

i don’t say i don’t like pam grier or anything, HELL NO, its just i am always thinking about how would it be if they didn’t cast an “african-american” (that is such a stupid word)…

whatever.[/quote]

This whole subject doesnt make much sense. Its like talking about who wouldve been good in the role of “Weezie” on The Jeffersons, if she wasnt African American.

If Jackie Brown would’ve been white, the whole movie would’ve been different…because basically, the whole film is a homage to the blaxploitation flicks that had Pam Grier in them (although the influences might not be as apparent as the samurai/spaghetti western ones in Kill Bill). I find it hard to even think about ‘what if’ Patricia Arquette played Jackie Brown.

that’s true, but I wasn’t talking about what would be if Tarantino had cast a white women. I was thinking about the fact, that IN THE BOOK, the character is white. how that would’ve been as a movie…

of course it would’ve been a totally different movie then.

I am almost finishing reading the book and have to say he did do a good job creating a new story based on the characters. I would of liked to seen more of Nicolette in the movie as well as Ordell’s Jack Boys and the whole NAZI fiasco.

Anyhow - as with Out Of Sight and what Sodebergh did with it - they made it better than the book which is a hard thing to do.

i loved out of sight but i haven’t read it.

i liked rum punch a lot… but it’s very complex and i think QT left aside the right stuff.

[quote]i loved out of sight but i haven’t read it.

i liked rum punch a lot… but it’s very complex and i think QT left aside the right stuff.[/quote]

Out of Sight is a good read and it includes some more background info on the key characters which I did like and the story is slightly changed whereas Foley never really met Snoopy in prison.

There is a lot more with Snoopy in it which I enjoyed as I loved Cheadle’s take on the character

[quote]in the novel, she’s white, though.

whatever.[/quote]

To answer your question, i don’t think it would have been as good as it is. plus with an awesome actress like pam greir, you get that whole Foxy Brown feeling in you when watch the movie. now thats the way i like it!!!

I loved ‘Rum Punch’ i think Quentin really did a good job with it. Mind you he had such a strong cast it would be hard to fuck up…

Oh, btw Http://www.fear-of-bliss.org/rumpunch.html (The Official ‘Rum Punch’ Fanlisting - please join!)

Damn I want to read that book! Whenever I go to a second hand book store they have stacks of other Elmore Leonard books but no rum punch… They had Get Shorty the other day! I still didn’t buy it though cos they had Misery by Stephen king for $3… Which is a good book mind you!!

Elmore LEONARD is a really good writer, specially in Rum Punch, but those who haven’t I recommand you his western stories too :wink:

yes mistress

On the Jackie Brown DVD Quentin mentions Leonard saying that Quentin’s screenplay of Jackie was one of the best screenplays he had ever read. So is there a lot of stuff that wasn’t in the book? I’ve heard that Tarantino owes lot to Leonard in figuring out his own style of writing so it’s hard to tell without reading the book. But I do feel that the small pieces of dialogue involving The Delfonics (first with Forster&Pam, then with Forster&Sam) was something that came from Quentin and also the little scene where Forster buys a cassette of The Delfonics, I think it was at the mall.

I loved Rum Punch. Quentin did a fascinating job with this novel turned movie. The best thing he did was make Jackie black. The novel SCREAMS blaxploitation and I adore Pam Grier in this film. I put this above Pulp Fiction in my top Tarantino flicks. This is one of the few book to movie translations that actully works.

i still never got around to reading this i really wana read dis though.

So do I… but I got Killshot and Forty Lashes Less One to read. Then I’ll read Rum Punch.