No Quentin in "Jackie Brown"

Everytime that I watch “Jackie Brown,” it gets better and better. I recently bought the DVD and it had a bug in it. But don’t worry me none. I’m getting it replaced right now. While the folks at Buena Vista prepare my new copy, I sit here at my computer and contemplate the question some of you probably have.

We all know how Tarantino likes to think of himself as a filmmaker and an actor (even though he rules at only one). He played Mr. Brown in DOGS, Jimmie in PULP, The Man from Hollywood in “The Man from Hollywood” segment of FOUR ROOMS. I’ve also read that he will take on Pei Mei in the killer revenge thriller KILL BILL. Now, those are most of his movies.

Does anybody know why Quentin didn’t write himself a role in “Jackie Brown”? Was it not what Elmore Leonard would’ve wanted in an adaption of Rum Punch? Did he love Pam Grier so much that he wanted to keep all eyes on her? I wonder…

[quote]Everytime that I watch “Jackie Brown,” it gets better and better.  I recently bought the DVD and it had a bug in it.  But don’t worry me none.  I’m getting it replaced right now.  While the folks at Buena Vista prepare my new copy, I sit here at my computer and contemplate the question some of you probably have.

We all know how Tarantino likes to think of himself as a filmmaker and an actor (even though he rules at only one).  He played Mr. Brown in DOGS, Jimmie in PULP, The Man from Hollywood in “The Man from Hollywood” segment of FOUR ROOMS.  I’ve also read that he will take on Pei Mei in the killer revenge thriller KILL BILL.  Now, those are most of his movies. ÂÂ

Does anybody know why Quentin didn’t write himself a role in “Jackie Brown”?  Was it not what Elmore Leonard would’ve wanted in an adaption of Rum Punch?  Did he love Pam Grier so much that he wanted to keep all eyes on her?  I wonder…

[/quote]

Actually Quentin is in Jackie Brown, well its not him, but its his voice. The voice on the phone message machine in Jackie Browns apartment is QT. :slight_smile:

QT isnt playing Pai Mei in Kill Bill, the role was given to a true Shaw Bros kung fu film veteran named Gordon Liu.

yeah exactly, the voice on the answering-machine.

in bill, he’ll dubb Liu’s voice, though.

Jackie Brown is not an original work. it’s an adaptation, quentin just didnt find a character he could’ve played.

I think the character of Mark Darcus was the perfect role for QT in this movie. And I think that the actor Michael Bowen is very similar to Quentin.

I’m glad. I wish he’d stay out of his movies all together.

[quote]Does anybody know why Quentin didn’t write himself a role in “Jackie Brown”?[/quote]

For a brief while, Quentin was gonna do the Louis Gara part, but we all know who ended up with the role.

I know QT was deeply into the Ordell Robbie character while he was writing the screenplay. He said that character was the hardest to let go of when he had to cast Sam The Man in the part because he basically WAS Ordell for 52 weeks while he was writing it.

QT didnt need to be in the film, I’m glad he wasnt in it. I love the movie just the way it is.

[quote]

For a brief while, Quentin was gonna do the Louis Gara part, but we all know who ended up with the role.[/quote]

thank goodness! Deniro was perfect!

In what scene exactly we hear the voice of QT?

[quote]In what scene exactly we hear the voice of QT?
[/quote]

Its the scene when Jackie comes home from being out somwwhere and Max Cherry leaves a message for her. QT is the voice that says “END OF MESSAGE”.

Then the next scene is at the Del Amo Mall I think.

He isn’t in jackie cos he knows he cannot act decently for a movie like jackie.

Well I wouldn’t go so far on that one buddy, I think he didn’t act in this one 'cause he was totally focus on Directing the movie as a Director alone, not as a Writer-Director like the other ones.

[quote]Well I wouldn’t go so far on that one buddy, I think he didn’t act in this one 'cause he was totally focus on Directing the movie as a Director alone, not as a Writer-Director like the other ones.[/quote]

Hes written and directed all his films. I think QT is a decent actor, but its a little much to be acting in and directing your movies.

Ya, someone should tell that to Kevin Costner.

someone told me that he had someone in mind to play each role and that he couldn’t make a new character because it was based on that book, "rum punch’’. i’m not sure but thats what i heard.

[quote]someone told me that he had someone in mind to play each role and that he couldn’t make a new character because it was based on that book, "rum punch’’. i’m not sure but thats what i heard.[/quote]

i’ve heard that too. it could be true but like toothpick said, his voice is in the movie. technically he’s in it.

Yeah, seriously, I think he could’ve been the character for Mark. He fits into it perfectly. He could’ve as least done a quick cameo? I mean like a backround shot of him in the mall or something. Like Alfred Hitchkock does in his cameos.

Now in Kill Bill, he doesn’t do a cameo either. Just a voice cameo. Whatever. He were in the first two movies, he might as well have been in the rest.

yeah youre right. would of been cool to see him as a backround character in jackie b. or in kill bill. but what can we do, it’s his movies right?

Hey you never know, QT could be a backround character, and maybe we’re just not looking hard enough! :wink:

youre right, theres so many hidden things in his flicks, he might be in there, right under our noses. i gotta watch it again and see. thanks for inspiring me, dead.