Characters

Does anybody think that the characters could be better if they were different people?

I mean do you think the movie could have been as great without the key characters that quentin tarantino put into it?

If so put your list at the bottom of your post.

I could not see anybody different except max and luis and melanie and the crazy bitch in ordel’s place and a couple other few “weak” characters.

[quote]I could not see anybody different except max and luis and melanie and the crazy bitch in ordel’s place and a couple other few “weak” characters.[/quote]

I think you are right about the characters. I don’t think the movie would have worked with different people in the main roles, but some of the other roles that weren’t as integral to the story could have easily been changed. But at least two of the main characters, Jackie (Pam Grier) and Ordell (Sam Jackson) worked so well, it would be hard to imagine anyone doing a better job.

I thought everyone was perfect. There’s nothing to change.

I’m not necessarily saying something to change, but if you thought that it would have worked as well if the characters weren’t the same. I mean I wouldn’t watch that movie twice if pam greir or Samuel L. Jackson, possibly Luisdon’t know his name weren’t in it! They are the heart of the movie

Get back in your tipi der Jimmy Squirrelnuts.

[quote]I’m not necessarily saying something to change, but if you thought that it would have worked as well if the characters weren’t the same. I mean I wouldn’t watch that movie twice if pam greir or Samuel L. Jackson, possibly Luisdon’t know his name weren’t in it! They are the heart of the movie[/quote]

Please, God, tell me you know who played Louis. Or I will destroy you.

haha good call…

but yea, i agree with Scarface, i thought the casting was perfect.

please dont destroy me!!! please!!! :’( im really scared!

ofcourse most was perfect, but you really dont think anything could be changed? i mean someone must be expendable.

Michael Keaton wasn’t quite what I pictured as Ray, but he did it well enough to override that. Please answer the question…

didnt want to start a new topic so thought id ask here:

didnt you think it was weird that jackie didnt seem to have any friends?

i mean even max cherry had that guy in his work place that hed go fishing or whatever with (thinking bout that photo, cant remember where it was taken). i guess maybe all her mates were flight attendants too so always flying about but i didnt get that impression from the movie. bit sad if she didnt have any friends, kinda digs in the whole ‘now or never at 40something’ aspect of the movie though

yeh, it was probably her job that was the reason she didn’t have any friends. But it may have been an aspect QT didn’t want to get into and may have thought it wasn’t important for the plot!

Ify, nobody knows what the crap you are talkin about. Ever.

I’m trying to say that because Jackie is an air hostess (flight attendant what ever) she wouldn’t have as many friends outside of her career as she would allways be away.

Also, I think QT didn’t show us any of her friends because maybe he thought it wouldnt have mattered much and might not have contributed much to the plot of the story!

[quote]I’m trying to say that because Jackie is an air hostess (flight attendant what ever) she wouldn’t have as many friends outside of her career as she would allways be away.

Also, I think QT didn’t show us any of her friends because maybe he thought it wouldnt have mattered much and might not have contributed much to the plot of the story![/quote]

One of Jackie Brown’s main themes is the human condition and the state of loneliness, which is a reason for what alot of the characters in Leone’s Spaghetti Westerns do (their greed/lust is a coverup for admitting to themselves that they are lonely individuals without much hope for anything).* Also, Jackie Brown is one mean bitch and either doesn’t really like her friends that much or can’t really stand other people.

*that weed must be kicking in

That reminds me a lot of Catcher in the Rye. It’s one of my favorite books.