The Ending

Yeah, he says in the movie that he’s tired of his job…and when he sees JB drive up in front…he’s considering if he will continue doing the same job…seeing JB is a little to much for him to be a professional and hold concentration…so he asks if he can call her back…at least thats how I see it…

I never fully understood why Max didn’t go to Spain with Jackie. He was in love with her, he was tired of his job, he had no family to take care of and both of them had all the money to start a new life together. So why did he stay behind?

Yeah, I never really understood that either…

well the way I see it is:

he’s just that kind of guy…he does his job…and believes that that is the way he should live…I think that he had problems with helping her getting the money, because I think he considers himself to be a half-cop like guy…but he really liked her and after following the law he made a sacrafice and helped her get the money…(he also could have walked with the 500.000) I think this was already a mayor way of change in his behaviour…so actually leaving with her was a step he wasnt ready for…because he is that half-cop like guy…who is what he is…

Yeah you could be right. How I look at it is that QT wanted us to convey a sort of message, which is to not hesitate when coming to make an important life decision cause a golden opportunity comes only once in a lifetime. Max realised this when he hung up the phone and saw Jackie’s car take off. He could’ve re-started a new life with Jackie and live happily ever after, but he didn’t seem to have the balls to leave his job and everything else behind him. I know it’s unusual for QT to include messages and stuff in his movies, but still this is the way I looked at it. Maybe in “Rum Punch”, things are explained more clearly.

yeah, I totally agree…people often get stuck in their usual behaviour so its hard for them to change that way of living like they did…in his case it seems that he recently started asking questions about his way of living…and jackie gives him the opportunity to get out of it…but he doesnt…It’s a pretty good message/scene actually, because lots of people act like that…not evaluating their lives…and if they do, they hesitate to make it better when opportunities are there for the taking, because they are so stuck in their behaviour…its a habit for them to live the way they do…so change is scaring…even if they know its probably better or more exciting…

The ending isn’t that sad is it? I mean sure Max missed an opportunity to be on a trip with the lady he loves, but isn’t she coming back? She’s not permanently moving is she? Isn’t it just a vacation?

That’s true…I mean she is stuck in traffic at the ending, maybe he cuaght up to her? or at the airport? who knows

Maybe Max hung up so he could catch her at the last second

The ending of Jackie Brown is like the Pulp Fiction question of “whats in the briefcase”, Quentin probably just wants us to determine for ourselves what we think happened or will happen.

The way I always saw it was that Max wanted half an hour just to clear his head. He didn’t wanna havta deal with some fuckn customer at that time. So he takes half an hour to mope around or cry or whatever. But I do like the idea of Max contemplating whether or not to catch up to Jackie. Kinda makes the ending a little better.

I know I’m entering this topic a little late but I have an answer to why Max tells the woman to call back in 30 min. OK here’s my theory…

Max probably hasn’t been with a woman in years. So,when Jackie kisses him, he gets all excited. Then the woman calls and Jackie walks away. Max is looking at her as she walks away. What do you think he’s looking at? (“Bigger? Ain’t nothin’ wrong with that.”) So he hangs up to savor the view. When she’s gone, what’s he walking toward? The Bathroom! And that’s when it gets out of focus because no one wants to see the datails of what he’s about to do. We can just hope that he actually washes his hands this time before he gets out.

:wink:

Word

Max just went to have a wank

and he IS fiftysix years old, so 30 minutes aint really that long for a lonely old guy like him

holy shit, its the truth!

So the ending is…Jackie leaves, Max jacks off. That’s how G’s do it.

I mean who wouldnt jack off after a steamy makeout session with their girlfriend

me

…and you… and her… simultaneous lovin babyyy

Why does it go blurry at the end when Max is walking off towards the back of the Bail Bond building? Has it got any significance? (by the way I love the first 20 seconds of “Across 110th Street” and to hear it twice in this movie was just awesome)

because the camerman got tired after 153 minutes of straight camera shooting, jeez ify give the man a break have you no decency?

[quote]Why does it go blurry at the end when Max is walking off towards the back of the Bail Bond building? Has it got any significance? (by the way I love the first 20 seconds of “Across 110th Street” and to hear it twice in this movie was just awesome)[/quote]

I like it when we hear the first few notes and the Miramax logo pops on screen. I always spooge over myself when I see that part

[quote]

I like it when we hear the first few notes and the Miramax logo pops on screen. I always spooge over myself when I see that part[/quote]

Yeh it’s great then, i often watch that first 20 seconds like 5 times whenever i watch JB just because of that tune that plays, but I forgot that it also played at the end once when i watched it and when the song came on (at the end) I was in fuckin’ awe.

Also, I was thinking the camera goes blurry for a specific reason, I mean that shit looked like it was intentional. I just wondered what purpose it served. Anyone care to enlighten me?