Cropped to 1.85:1...?

I read some posts at IMDb that had suspicion that the widescreen 1.85:1 that was theatrically viewed and put on DVD is actually cropped as such, and you actually get more picture with the 4:3 VHS (much like James Cameron’s The Abyss and other popular titles). Anyone know anything about this?

It was also speculated that many blaxploitation films were done this way, prompting possible reasons for such.

The way most noticed seemed to be Bridgett’s bum being cut off in the widescreen and being more visible in the full screen. Heh.

A thousand apologies if this has already been brought up.

Sometimes directors like to shoot in full screen, or 1.33:1, so that way they dont have to use different lens’, making the picture sharper on the edge of the frame, then cropeed to 1.85, RD was shot using the Super 35 (for Scope, 2.35:1) method, as well as Kill Bill. if u have more ?s ask, cause i know all this crap, but im not gonna waste time saying shit that dont need to be said.

[quote]Sometimes directors like to shoot in full screen, or 1.33:1, so that way they dont have to use different lens’.[/quote]

Yeah, I knew that much. I was just wondering if Jackie Brown really was shot like that.

Jackie Brown was shot in 1.85:1, no open-matte or anything.

[quote]Jackie Brown was shot in 1.85:1, no open-matte or anything.[/quote]
Are you sure?

Anyway, no matter how it was shot, the movie was composed for widescreen, meaning that thats the way its indended to be viewed.

Sorry fellas, it is cropped a bit. Yessuh. Want some proof?

Remember the Louis-Melanie fuck scene? In the fullscreen version you can see ALL of Fonda’s glorious ass, but in the widescreen, it’s a bit cropped so you can barely see the top of her buttcrack…

hmmmm what does that mean

Yea, i havent seen the fullscreen version since the first 2 times i saw it, i own the VHS, but its the widescreen version. But ill repeat myself, THE MOVIE WAS COMPOSED FOR WIDESCREEN, HENCE THATS THE WAY IT WAS INTENDED TO BE SEEN, WHO GIVES A FUCK IF U CAN SEE A LITTLE MORE ON THE TOP AND BOTTOM! WATCH IT IN FUCKING WIDESCREEN!

[quote]THE MOVIE WAS COMPOSED FOR WIDESCREEN[/quote]

That’s good enough for me. I know Kubrick actually demanded you see his the way it was indeed shot. Similarly with Cameron.

[quote]Yea, i havent seen the fullscreen version since the first 2 times i saw it, i own the VHS, but its the widescreen version. But ill repeat myself, THE MOVIE WAS COMPOSED FOR WIDESCREEN, HENCE THATS THE WAY IT WAS INTENDED TO BE SEEN, WHO GIVES A FUCK IF U CAN SEE A LITTLE MORE ON THE TOP AND BOTTOM! WATCH IT IN FUCKING WIDESCREEN![/quote]

yeah, so many people these days shoot in Super 32mm or similar open-matte methods and just matte the entire thing to how they want their widescreen image. it’s a fucking shame actually, because it gives the fullscreen supporters a point to say “we see more!”

actually it would be cool to have a screenshot of Fonda’s ass. can you manage that?

Fondas Fullscreen Ass :wink:

No, I’m not a fullscreen supporter. I HATE FULLSCREEN. Trust me it’s difficult for me to watch a scope film when the sides are cropped off. It’s terrible. I was just mentioning that Fonda’s ass is cropped in the 1:85:1 dvd version. That’s all.

btw, Robert DeNiro is so lucky ahhh

[quote]

yeah, so many people these days shoot in Super 32mm or similar open-matte methods and just matte the entire thing to how they want their widescreen image. it’s a fucking shame actually, because it gives the fullscreen supporters a point to say “we see more!”[/quote]

Yeah, I work at a video store and I try to convince my customers why widescreen is better but exceptions like this and The Recruit and such make it difficult for me to really win them over without completely lying to them.

Actually, there is a trailer on the second disc that is 2:35:1. What does that tell you?

[quote]

Yeah, I work at a video store and I try to convince my customers why widescreen is better but exceptions like this and The Recruit and such make it difficult for me to really win them over without completely lying to them.

[/quote]

tell them this: it’s the format that the director intended for the theater, that is the best one. if a movie was shot in 2.35:1, screened in 2.35:1, then it’s the format you have to get on DVD.

if the movie was shot in super 35 and they made a full screen and a widescreen version, the widescreen is still the format to go, because its the only format that is in the director’s intention and shows the art of the director’s vision, and its also the way it is shown in theater.

to put and end to this thread (maybe):

Tarantino wanted it widescreen (He’d neve make a fullscreen film), they screened it widescreen, and it came to DVD widescreen. if you wanna see more of Bridget Fonda’s sexy ass, then tape the movie from TV, but the widescreen DVD is what you have to get

[quote]Actually, there is a trailer on the second disc that is 2:35:1. What does that tell you? [/quote]
It tells you to compare the movie and the trailer. ull then see that they cropped it down to 2.40:1 (the 2.35 is approx, its really 2.40) to show with scope movies.

i have the turkish dvd of film and i saw it was 4:3 ! i get mad! i sweared the dvd company and then i reliazed 16:9 version is cropped i relaxed (plus i see fondas p**sy profile little bit ::slight_smile:)