QT's Politics?

Somebody said he was a moderate liberal. I’m not sure, I’ve always (I don’t know why) imagined him to be right-wing, on the account of many of the actors he works with are (Bruce Willis, Kurt Russel…). Any ideas? He’s obviously influenced by feminism, or at least women empowerment, which is typically more liberal (though you do get republican feminists).

?

Anyone?

I think he is totally and utterly apolitical. none of his films are even a slight bit political, if you take aside his philosophy about tipping waitresses for example…

and if, he’s probably Liberal (with a capital L please, because you’re talking American politics, in the US, Liberal doesn’t mean what liberal means to the rest of the world and to scholars of politics) because he’s a hollywood dude who likes to party and take drugs

Apolitical, I suppose thats right. Liberal in America is similar to Libertarianism, like Kurt Russel?

He’s friends with Michael Moore, isn’t he? That may or may not mean something.

Is he really?

I think he´s quite cool with politics and does not give too much on it.But I´m sure he´s definitely not right-wing. You shouldn´t make a connection between certain actors he works with or be friends. On one you got people like Bruce Willis but the same time guys like Samuel L. Jackson, Michael Moore and co. Just stay out of politics and keep making great movies!

[quote=“NonStop”]
Liberal in America is similar to Libertarianism, …?
[/quote]

no.

Libertarianism - Wikipedia

<LINK_TEXT text=“http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modern_lib … liberal.22”>Modern liberalism in the United States - Wikipedia</LINK_TEXT>

and for everyone outside the US who thinks of liberalism as liberalism (with a small L): Liberal - Wikipedia

Well, the modern liberal in US page uses the term liberal as we use it, especially for its negative connotations.

But, they are still similar. They are both attuned to liberty, but libertarianism goes a lot further.

[quote]Liberalism refers to a broad array of related ideas and theories of government that advocate individual liberty.[/quote]

[quote]Libertarianism is a political philosophy maintaining that all persons are the absolute owners of their own lives, and should be free to do whatever they wish with their persons or property, provided they allow others the same liberty.[/quote]

In either words, you can be liberal as in pro-liberty (but are more likely to consider yourself a libertarianist), or liberal as more left-wing?

i read an interview in which he said that he wasn’t much interested by politic but still considered himself as a democrat

Thank god! hes one of the good guys :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“hyperslug”]
Thank god! hes one of the good guys :stuck_out_tongue:
[/quote]

Lol.

Am I right Sebastian?

well everywhere outside the US, the word “liberal” usually refers mostly to what Republicans stand for: free trade, low taxes, freedom of the indivdual, small government. but a good share also means civil liberties, tolerance, equality and some of those things.

here in germany, if you’re a liberal democrat, you’re usually richer and have business ties. the right - left axis in politics is different wherever you go… just because the US “only” has 2 parties, doesn’t mean there are only two poles, either. both parties house a wide spectrum of tendencies, but that’s WAY OFF TOPIC now, haha

[quote=“Sebastian”]
well everywhere outside the US, the word “liberal” usually refers mostly to what Republicans stand for: free trade, low taxes, freedom of the indivdual, small government. but a good share also means civil liberties, tolerance, equality and some of those things.

here in germany, if you’re a liberal democrat, you’re usually richer and have business ties. the right - left axis in politics is different wherever you go… just because the US “only” has 2 parties, doesn’t mean there are only two poles, either. both parties house a wide spectrum of tendencies, but that’s WAY OFF TOPIC now, haha
[/quote]

That would seem to be true…however your wealthiest Americans are Liberal Democrats - tell me GWB isn’t a Democrat…the guy has out-spent and out-governed any Democrat in the history of the U.S.

back to topic - the best thing that QT or anybody else in show-buisness can do is to stay out of politics - the fact is that about half of the world thinks one way and the other half thinks the other way - why would you want to alienate half of your potential audience? It is like quick-sand to these actors and musicians - they have people asking them these questions and after a while they begin to think that they are the intelligent elite of the world - and whamo…you have the Dixie Chicks. Stay out of politics and religion and you’ll go far.

I think QT is like me he just doesnt care about politics. I think kilgore is right you might be a celebrity but that doesnt mean people wont turn on you. Take John Lennon, he said the beatles were bigger than Jesus and all the jesus freaks went ape shit on him. Telling the world what your beliefs are is like playing around with a loaded gun.

yeah QT isn’t political, who knows once he’s 80 he might pick up on some issues to make sure there’s something positive in his bio about what he contributed to society aside from arts, but who knows… i mean, I rather have a non-political director than one that’s political but in the most clumsy way possible

QT isnt into politics, but I know one topic that hes definitely going to cover somewhere down the line and thats Racism. I think he even said Inglorious Bastards is going to touch on that.

He said that before he came up with his Death Proof idea, his first slasher film idea was about a black slave’s ghost killing people.

He also mentioned doing a “Southern”, his spaghetti western set in the South. So that may be partly about racism too.

Yeah he talked about doing a southern war movie about racism or something like that.

I think there may even be a hint given in Death Proof where QT may be heading genrewise. Its when we see Jungle Julia smoking her bong and we then see the poster for Soldier Blue on her wall. Maybe its nothing at all, but I just got that feeling from it.

I also think that if QT does movies set during any specific period, hes not going to do a fact by fact type story. Its going to be a QT genre film set against the backdrop of a certain period like with Bastards. So if he does do a Southern, it may take place during the slavery period and have black slave characters, but its gonna be in some subgenre he loves. Itll probably be like a Mandingo or Drum type movie.

this what he said in Seb’s itw… also, he wants to do “40 lashed less 1” by elmore leonard which is a really great and fun western story about racism