Tarantino in Sight and Sound

He talks Grind House and some of the negative press it received.

http://www.bfi.org.uk/sightandsound/feature/49432

Oh so cool, you also posted the interview, awesome one !

[quote] Then I remembered a time when I told somebody I was thinking about getting a safer car. I was thinking about a Volvo and he says, "Oh, Quentin, if you want a safer car all you have to do is buy any car and give it to a stunt team plus $10,000 and they’ll make it death proof. And for two seconds I actually thought about doing that. He actually used the words “death proof” but I forgot about it - this was 11 years ago. [/quote]

;D The guy who said that must be proud now if he remembers having said so.

[quote] Everything about the film suggests that the character Butterfly played by Vanessa Ferlito is the final girl. And she has all the qualities. She’s the odd girl out with her friends. She’s not a virgin, but she is the only one that doesn’t get any kind of action in the movie. She does seem a little bit more reserved or at least she pretends to be more reserved. When she does make out with the guys, she won’t let anybody else know about it. Her other friends are more open, they talk more body and about sex. She is the female character with the investigator gaze, the one that smells something rotten, she notices the car, and that something is not quite right. It’s never so bad that she has to bring it up. She doesn’t want to be embarrassed.

And you’re suggesting the film sets her up to survive?

Yeah, and even when he throws the photos away it ended up being part of the thing. He throws the photos in a big wide shot. One of them lands face up, two face down, and Butterfly is face up. I didn’t have to duplicate what just happened when he threw the photos out, it was perfect. It suggests that she will survive. [/quote]

Sounds interesting but isn’t her face smashed by the car ?

[quote] I started working on Death Proof and the first screening we had of it was in Cannes. That ended up being a lot of fun and to really actually watch the chase scene in the Le Palais was something.

All I saw was the press screening.

In the official screening in the Palais with the women in their fine gowns and the men in their tuxedos they were flipping the armrests and then pounding on them and the girls were shouting, “get him, get him, get him.” It was like a football game.[/quote]

Cannes was something, I remember the audience was all exciting at the premiere, was so crazy and so cool. I was there and it was even more exciting to see everybody else excited.

He also talks abotu Zodiac and Apocalypto, and a lot of books, really cool.

[quote=“cyber-lili”]

[/quote]

I remember somebody saying that it was Sean Penn that told him that. I don’t know how truth there is to that, but it’s certainly plausible.

And thanks for the interview. Can’t wait to read it. :slight_smile:

[quote=“cyber-lili”]

Sounds interesting but isn’t her face smashed by the car ?[/quote]

No thats in regards to the typical slasher film storyline. In those films The Final Girls always survive. In Death Proof Arlene is set up to be The Final Girl but QT kills her off. Another genre rule he snaps in two.

I remember somebody saying that it was Sean Penn that told him that. I don’t know how truth there is to that, but it’s certainly plausible.

According to QT and RR Sleazed filled Saga Book on the making of Grindhouse–it was Sean Penn that suggested that a stunt team could make any car Death Proof.

And thanks for posting this interview–awesome.