Quentin's favorite grindhouse movies

<LINK_TEXT text=“Quentin on Sundance jury - The Quentin Tarantino Archives … se-movies/”>Quentin's Top 20 favorite grindhouse movies - The Quentin Tarantino Archives</LINK_TEXT>

Enjoy the discussion

Trivia: Compare to a different list right here

That’s a lot of movies I haven’t seen !

The Mack! It’s the movie Drexyl is watching in TR! How exciting!

Btw, is it possible to turn off the music when you are visiting The Deuce ? I always have weird mixes between my own playlist and The Deuce’s one when I’m on this website, most of the time it’s not very pretty to hear :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s cool to know that QT regards TCM as the best grindhouse flick. I don’t think I’ve ever heard him talk about it or mentioning it anywhere before. 8)

I need to check out The Girl from Starship Venus!

[quote=“RatQuiRit”]
Btw, is it possible to turn off the music when you are visiting The Deuce ? I always have weird mixes between my own playlist and The Deuce’s one when I’m on this website, most of the time it’s not very pretty to hear :stuck_out_tongue:
[/quote]

You should tell Pete about this, maybe he’ll reconsider putting auto-play music on the pages. I personally think they create a great atmosphere but yeah, if you’re listening to other music, that might suck. But there might be a way to disable music in your browser…

I have seen about twelve of these, grrrrrreat list!!!

TCM is truly a masterpiece.

But The Mack didn’t do it for me. Gonna rewatch it someday.

the list surprises me a lot. Didn´t now he likes romero and TcM. But a great list of course.

I expected more kung fu flicks in it.

I´ve seen all the movies except girl from starship venus and pom pom girls.

Quentin said that his list contains more than 20 titles … are there no runners up?

[quote=“magazine79”]
Quentin said that his list contains more than 20 titles … are there no runners up?
[/quote]

well the streetfighter movies are basically 3 or 4 already… so not strictly 20. but he didnt give me runners up… sorry :slight_smile:

[quote=“Sebastian”]
well the streetfighter movies are basically 3 or 4 already… so not strictly 20. but he didnt give me runners up… sorry :slight_smile:
[/quote]

I haven’t sen many of those films (not much of a grindhosue fan), but loved TCM, and really want to see all the Streetfighter movies.

Oh, and Sebastian, do you have a general top 20 movie list from him?

[quote=“NonStop”]
Oh, and Sebastian, do you have a general top 20 movie list from him?
[/quote]

That would have definitely been something.

Since I’m not a fan of (your typical) grindhouse films, but am a huge horror fan, I was thrilled to see two of my all time favourite flicks at the top of his list: TCM (no. 1 - take that all you other wannabe grindhouses) and Halloween (I don’t know what the basis this is as being a grindhouse flick - distribution? - but I at least don’t consider it an exploitation flick)

Both TCM and Halloween are in my Top 10 of all time. Both were referenced in the screenplay for Pulp Fiction, don’t forget. Did you know QT wrote an original draft for Halloween 6? Of course another favourite in there is Last House.

Thanks for this. Hope you can lure more movie lists out of Quentin. :wink:

“I Drink your blood, gimme a break” ahahah… quite a great list, filled with classics…

I haven’t seen neither of these movies…

start with Texas chainsaw Massacre and Halloween and you’re in for quite a treat.

[quote=“tonyanthony”]
start with Texas chainsaw Massacre and Halloween and you’re in for quite a treat.
[/quote]

True, but then nothing will be able to match those two afterwards. :stuck_out_tongue:

I liked QT’s precision about what makes a G movie and what doesnt. it’s great to have clarified a couple of things, the G-word has been over-used for the past couple of years. still, i can’t help but asking myself a couple of questions… here is what he says:

"My point being, it has to been played in a grindhouse.Dirty Mary Crazy Larry is not really a grindhouse movie. That was a big 20th Century Fox movie. It played in grindhouses and drive-ins, you know. The same way like Halloween could be on here, but Friday the 13th…couldn’t, because that was a Paramount movie."

friday the 13th played in Time Square cinema, i’ve seen a picture once of a marquee in NY of a double feature of Friday the 13th and Don’t go in the woods… so how come, it couldn’t make the list, beside being a bad film? if that means that the company that releases the film HAS to be a small exploitation releasing company, than maybe Quartet by James Ivory is a grindhouse movie in America, since it was released by New World Pictures!

and what about THRILLER?? why did Thriller made the list? The version that was released by AIP is very different from the uncut version. according to QT’s method, the version of Thriller that’s on his list has to be the vintage AIP version! ;D

[quote=“Kinick”]
True, but then nothing will be able to match those two afterwards. :stuck_out_tongue:
[/quote]

Romero, Argento, Fulci and Wang Yu aren’t exactly hacks… I’d actually choose Dawn of the dead over Halloween… 8)

how much cut a movie is doesnt change anything about whether it played in grindhouses or not :slight_smile: dirty mary crazy larry played the drive-ins, that’s why it’s a criteria for qt. friday the 13th might’ve been neither an indie production nor did it play in grindhouses (maybe). and i’d say not every timesquare movie theater was a grindhouse. then again, defintions on t his whole issue aren’t very accurate in all times. not even QT would know about every grindhouse in the country, i’d assume

[quote=“tonyanthony”]
Romero, Argento, Fulci and Wang Yu aren’t exactly hacks… [/quote]

Not at all. But I actually believe that those films hold up better than most other flicks of that genre. I tried to rewatch Suspiria recently and was bored to death save for some awesome visuals and that erie soundtrack. Other than that, boring…