Could pulp hit in '09 like it did in '94?

. . . probably. but only under these very precise circumstances: if quentin tarantino was still revelling in the screaming notoriety of reservoir dogs, including all the awards it won as well as the major genre fan buzz. and then of course if there were the wonderful pulp fiction television ads. as a fan who’d been enlisted in q.t.'s army you were vaguely aware he was following up dogs with a mind-blowing gangster movie that was turning its attention to north america after having conquered europe by winning overall at the cannes film festival in france. the ads teased so succesfully that everyone had to be at the theatre opening weekend to check it out. i saw pulp opening night on sleazy granville street in vancouver the friday night it opened and the theatre was so packed we had to sit up at the front row and stare straight up at the ceiling to see it. our view of the screen was as bad as it could’ve possibly been. almost as bad as the time as a teenager me and a friend walked ten miles to stand in the rain at the local drive-in theatre to watch a double bill of blood and bullets with bronson and saturn three with harvey keitel. miserable way to watch a show (especially two of them) but because of our love for genre movies it was totally worth it. stood through love and bullets just to see saturn three then walked home in the middle of the night in the rain. ANYWAY, even though we suffered serious neck injuries that night watching pulp fiction it too was totally worth it. it was sheer magnificence. and then i saw it about ten more times, it played for a few months in repertory theatres where i could finally seat myself comfortably . . .

but 15 years later, lots of things changed. i mean some parts of pulp would still bear considerable punch, but during these 15 years, lots of things have changed and lots of things have become normal. I doubt it would hit the way it hit back then…

I agree, the impact wouldn’t be the same but we all can say that Quentin’s narrating skills would let all of us speechless for once more!

It would be interesting to see how all these movies which were totally affected by Pulp would be, if Pulp never existed before!

Every few years, there are one or (if we are lucky) two movies that save Hollywood from absolute mediocrity. In 1994 it was Pulp Fiction. If we are to assume that Pulp didn’t come out and didn’t influence Hollywood that year, but that it comes out in 2009, I would say it would save Hollywood in in a similar way, with a simliar impact.

[quote=“Crazy Kenneth”]
Every few years, there are one or (if we are lucky) two movies that save Hollywood from absolute mediocrity. In 1994 it was Pulp Fiction. If we are to assume that Pulp didn’t come out and didn’t influence Hollywood that year, but that it comes out in 2009, I would say it would save Hollywood in in a similar way, with a simliar impact.
[/quote]

I doubt it. In this day and age people go to see films for CGI bullshit. Just look at the numbers, every studio is releasing big budget blockbusters that are saturated with CGI and bad acting, and not to mention all these super hero movies. Look at the great “talky” films that people didn’t go see: There Will Be Blood, No Country For Old Men, and others…I haven’t been to a movie theatre in months! I’d rather go to my video store or shop online to buy films that are worth seeing. Fuck Hollywood and their mainstream bullshit, they’re not getting a cent out of me to support gaylord crap like High School Musical and The Chihuhas Of LA or something…

I spit on you greedy Jews!

Well Pulp gave rise to a million immitations, it essentially changed the face of cinema. If we were to hypothetically believe Pulp didn’t exist back then, and therefore nor would said immitations, then yeah if it were to hit now it’d be considered fresh and innovative as it was back then and light a fire up under our arses. Considering the state of the entertainment industry at the moment (nevermind the film industry), where talent is relatively lacking, Pulp Fiction would be met with a worthy welcome. I for one have seemed to have lost my passion for film, and save some absolutely outstanding efforts from Scorsese, the Coen’s, P.T Anderson, Andrew Dominik and one or two others, barely anything released in the last five years has particularly impressed me.

It’s kind of sad when you’re having to cling on to things made over 30 years ago.

[quote=“Biohazard”]
I doubt it. In this day and age people go to see films for CGI bullshit. Just look at the numbers, every studio is releasing big budget blockbusters that are saturated with CGI and bad acting, and not to mention all these super hero movies. Look at the great “talky” films that people didn’t go see: There Will Be Blood, No Country For Old Men, and others…I haven’t been to a movie theatre in months! I’d rather go to my video store or shop online to buy films that are worth seeing. Fuck Hollywood and their mainstream bullshit, they’re not getting a cent out of me to support gaylord crap like High School Musical and The Chihuhas Of LA or something…[/quote]

People aren’t only into CGI-laden crap, even if the current box-office numbers might suggest it. there is a quality shift from movies towards TV going on for many years now. Hollywood has a few problems, no doubt. I’m not sure if blaming the Jews is sufficient.

And don’t say anything weak about High School Musical. I’m glad that kids today are into musical, I’m fed up with this cynical generation (people let’s say between 16 and 30) who generally hate display of emotions on screen, and hate on musicals. The Sound of Music is awesome. and I can totally see why somebody would love HSM. I liked it.

I agree with Ify that it had such an impact on cinema that it changed the way people went on to make movies. Now this impact is very much embedded in cinema today. Young filmmakers all have seen Pulp and I think mostly see it as a masterpiece with landmark setting qualities. So there isn’t a way to determine how good it will hit now in 2009 in the movie industry, since it’s still so much part of everything in that same industry. The way it hit in 1994 still echoes in 2009. That said, I don’t know anyone who has just the least interest in movies that doesn’t know pulp fiction. They all give it the recognition it deserves and not only because they look cool doing so. Pulp fiction is then also part of their movie viewing experience, no matter what movie they are seeing. If they see ‘pulp’ elements they will name them and recognize them.

A movie like pulp fiction will forever be a landmark in cinema and will, as time goes by, put into the category of important movies in the nineties.

In short: Pulp never stopped hitting cinema, from a movie-making view and a movie-watching view, it is still hitting with every movie you watch.

<LINK_TEXT text=“http://media.www.indianastatesman.com/m … 8503.shtml”>http://media.www.indianastatesman.com/media/storage/paper929/news/2009/03/04/Campus/Fans-Celebrate.Favorite.Cult.Classic.Films.At.Library.Lecture-3658503.shtml</LINK_TEXT>

haha the guy’s name is richard VINCENT :stuck_out_tongue:

Pulp would have had the same impact artistically but I think it would have been harder to get funding for the film and harder to get it distributed. Fewer people would have known about it. Studios today seem much less apt to take chances on more unusual films like Pulp Fiction these days or any film that isn’t centered around a comic book character or filled with CGI. If Pulp Fiction had been released today, it probably would have had a very limited release and gone straight to DVD.

[quote=“Crazy Kenneth”]
[/quote]

You are right.

Yeah, Pulp influenced society, not just cinema. It led the way to making the 70’s cool again. Am I right about that, or just high?

i think that if pulp wasnt released in ´94 cinema as we know it today would not exist in the same way.

countless films were only made because of qts new approach-

• i mean he was largely responsible for that whole exploitation cult