Pulp Fiction's overall message

so in all of your opinions, i’m wondering what you believe Tarantino was actually trying to accomplish with this particular film. What was the message he was trying to broadcast? is this film optimisstic or pessimisstic? etc.

I think this film has absolutely nothing to do with optimism nor pessimism (spelling?). Personally, I don’t think QT was trying to convey a message to the viewers, but if he was. I would have to say the theme of the movie is Crime doesn’t pay off in the end. Look what happens to Vincent Vega, Marsellus, Tony Rocky Horror, etc. They all end up being shot, raped, or thrown out of a window, due to crime. I do believe if this movie had a theme, it would share the same theme as Reservoir Dogs.

I think Pulp had a strong theme of honor and redemption among thieves, but as far as some big message, I dont think there is one. QT doesnt try to make movies with big messages. Hes just trying to tell stories.

in think Tarantino was trying to showcase a message about there not being a message, like in Leone’s spaghetti westerns-the whole thing has a “fuck it” attitude

As mentioned before it has to do with redemption. A lot of characters are in a lifestyle their no contempt with and they decide to call it quits. Those who don’t obviouly suffer the consequences. Vincent did not redeem himself, thus, he got shot the fuck up by Bruce. There’s also a little bit of this theme in Jackie Brown. Like Max Cherry for example.

I’m not sure that QT intentionally put a message in PF, in fact I’m not sure he intentionally puts a message in any of his movies, though I could be wrong. Probably his most intentional message in PF and any of his movies is that fact that there aren’t movies made like Qt’s movies, and I think he’s trying to change that.

But I think PF however intentional or not has several messages.

1. Not all good people do good things and not all bad people do bad things, not in the way we look at good and bad anyway. In fact I think he likes very much to blur or in some cases erase the line between good and bad.

2. Honor among thieves

3. Speaking to good people who do bad thing, and basically telling them that thier not bad people, but if they don’t change thier life soon they could end up like Vincent.

4. Despite how many thing the movie may be telling people, there is a time to just sit back and enjoy a story. I think this is the main reason his films are so good, they do have a certain meaning, but that meaning doesn’t always have to grip you every time you see the movie.

[quote]I think this film has absolutely nothing to do with optimism nor pessimism (spelling?). Personally, I don’t think QT was trying to convey a message to the viewers, but if he was. I would have to say the theme of the movie is Crime doesn’t pay off in the end. Look what happens to Vincent Vega, Marsellus, Tony Rocky Horror, etc. They all end up being shot, raped, or thrown out of a window, due to crime. I do believe if this movie had a theme, it would share the same theme as Reservoir Dogs.[/quote]

I’d have to agree with deliveryman on this one. Except I think the message is get out while you still can. I am using Macbeth as an example. If your rise to power is bloody, than your demise will be bloody as well. I’m sure if these characters were real than Marsellus would eventully be killed, somehow. Like he would piss off the wrong person. And yea, Vince Vega did get his ass handed to him by butch…That musta sucked, to get shot right after taking a shit. It was sort of funny though. Call me immature, but I like it how Tarrantino can make violence so god damn funny. I mean honestly who gets shot RIGHT after the crapper? But yea, back unto topic. Butch and Jules both get out, and end up living. There is also themese of redemption as people have said in this post. For instance when Marsellus allows butch to go when he saves him from his ass raping. Vince ends up dying, and he was the one questioning Jules on why he was leaving. Also, when Jules tells Honey Bunny and Pumpkin to just leave, and just gives him his cash I thought he was trying to be a noble man. So yea, I think the overall message is crime doesn’t pay, and to get the fuck out while you still can.

[]D.[].[]V[].[]D
[quote]I think this film has absolutely nothing to do with optimism nor pessimism (spelling?).  Personally, I don’t think QT was trying to convey a message to the viewers, but if he was.  I would have to say the theme of the movie is Crime doesn’t pay off in the end.  Look what happens to Vincent Vega, Marsellus, Tony Rocky Horror, etc.  They all end up being shot, raped, or thrown out of a window, due to crime.  I do believe if this movie had a theme, it would share the same theme as Reservoir Dogs.[/quote]

I COMPLETELY AGREE WITH YOU…I THINK HIS MOVIE’S ARE TOTAL ENTERTAINMENT ;D BUT IF IT HAD TO B ANYTHIN IT WULD B THAT SOMETIMES BAD ISN’T ALWAYS RIGHT…UNDASTAND WAT IM SAYIN? WELL TO MUTHER FUCKIN BAD IF YOU DON’T THANX … BUT I DISAGREE WITH THA RESAVOIR DOGS PART MAINE, NO OFFENSE OF COURSE, I THINK THAT IT SAYS KNOW WHO YOUR TRUSTIN!! CUZ THEY ALL GOT SCREWED CUZ THEY DIDNT KNOW WO THEY WERE GETTIN WIT…JUS LIK SEX KNOW WO YOUR SCREWIN WIT AND ALL DA SHIT THEY MIGHT CARRY WIT EM OR U MIGHT GET FUCKED…U FEEL ME?

Mr. OrANgE

i heard that the message was to feed all the hungry kids.

[quote]i heard that the message was to feed all the hungry kids.[/quote]

yeah the message in pulp is: give all the hungry children a tasty beverage and a cheeseburger…

to all ignorent people and people that need to read some books:::

PULP HAS NO INTENDED MESSAGE…ITS NOT THAT KIND OF MOVIE AND QT ISNT THAT KIND OF DIRECTOR!!!

really. he has said it once and will say it again, he just wants to entertain. he is not trying to put in some message that you have to look at every frame for 5 minutes to understand it. sheesh

I think QT’s message is that every person has a shot at another life…notice how every character who is confronted with death but is spared has a chance for another, better life. especially Hunny Bunny and Pumpkin, I think they’ll chnage their lifestyle… 8)

[quote]I’m not sure that QT intentionally put a message in PF, in fact I’m not sure he intentionally puts a message in any of his movies, though I could be wrong.  Probably his most intentional message in PF and any of his movies is that fact that there aren’t movies made like Qt’s movies, and I think he’s trying to change that.

But I think PF however intentional or not has several messages.

1.  Not all good people do good things and not all bad people do bad things, not in the way we look at good and bad anyway.  In fact I think he likes very much to blur or in some cases erase the line between good and bad.

2. Honor among thieves

3. Speaking to good people who do bad thing, and basically telling them that thier not bad people, but if they don’t change thier life soon they could end up like Vincent.

4. Despite how many thing the movie may be telling people, there is a time to just sit back and enjoy a story.  I think this is the main reason his films are so good, they do have a certain meaning, but that meaning doesn’t always have to grip you every time you see the movie.[/quote]

I think honor amongst theives is more of a reservoir dogs thing...

lol I think the message is NEVER GO TO THE TOILET

Hehe each time Vince go to piss or have a crap, there’s a problem:

-the robbery (Tim and Amanda)

-Vince himself died

-Mia’s OD

So NEVER GO TO THE TOILET ;D

I remember reading that the message was “Life is random”. What a stupid fucking message. Anyway, I agree with Mia. “John Travolta should never use the toilet” is the theme.

I think the cool thing is that he made a movie with no message, and we all dug up these great meanings and morals. Shit, if QT puts a message in one of his movies it’ll blow our minds.

WISDOM OF THE DAY

Don’t eat mushrooms off of the sidewalk.

the theme of pulp fiction is Honor and loyalty.

The theme of pulp fiction is making a cool movie.

The overall message is: Try drugs, they’re fun. You ain’t gonna die, even if you OD.

[quote=“WinslowLeach”]
I think Pulp had a strong theme of honor and redemption among thieves, but as far as some big message, I dont think there is one. QT doesnt try to make movies with big messages. Hes just trying to tell stories.

[/quote]

Yeah, I agree. I mean, a meaning to a movie is always good, but it isn’t why I see movies. I see movies for entertainment, not for analyzation.