Marriages in Pulp Fiction

Something I noticed today was that each marriage (or relationship) in the movie is kind of similar. The ones that I’m thinking of are Butch/Fabienne, Lance/Jody, Jimmie/Bonnie, Honeybunny/Pumpkin, Mia/Marcellus and Wolf/Raquel. In each marriage, except Mia and Marcellus (we don’t really know), the husband and wife seem to really love each other.

Butch and Fabienne- it’s obvious. Lance and Jody just seem to be the perfect match for each other. Jimmie obviously loves Bonnie very much. Honeybunny and Pumpkin are more than perfect for each other and Wolf and Raquel care about each other very much. There’s an entire deleted scene devoted to this.

I just thought it was kind of cool.

I don’t think it holds up. Mia and Marcellus don’t love eachother. They’re just married because of political or money reasons. Think of their relationship as the relationship between Tony and his wife in the movie Scarface. Very similiar, IMHO. I also don’t think the Bride and her bf got married out of real love. I think they got married because of the baby and wedlock. Disagree if you will, but that’s just what I think. 8)

[quote] I also don’t think the Bride and her bf got married out of real love. I think they got married because of the baby and wedlock. Disagree if you will, but that’s just what I think.  8)[/quote]

Which bride are you referring to? I don’t know of any baby in pulp fiction.

The only “Bride” in any of QT’s movies. Uma Therman’s character in Kill Bill is referred to as “the bride.”

Ahhh, I just got back from seeing Kill Bill 20 minutes ago. Excellent.

yeah, Mia was just around snorting coke and waiting to be fucked. Jus like Elvira in Scarface. Great connection, dude!

I like the similarities of Mia and Marsellus to Tony and Elvira. That makes perfect sense. You have to ask yourself what QT’s views are on marriage and on women. In True Romance, Alabama was a hooker and then fell head over heels in love with Clarence in one night. And in Jackie Brown, Bridget Fonda’s character is a huge slut. She meets Robert DeNiro for 30 minutes and then lets him fuck. I just wonder what he really thinks women are good for. QT has yet to marry, maybe his art imitates life. Who knows?

[quote=“Dead_Nigga_Storage”]
I don’t think it holds up. Mia and Marcellus don’t love eachother. They’re just married because of political or money reasons. Think of their relationship as the relationship between Tony and his wife in the movie Scarface. Very similiar, IMHO. I also don’t think the Bride and her bf got married out of real love. I think they got married because of the baby and wedlock. Disagree if you will, but that’s just what I think. 8)
[/quote]

I just have one point then: Then Marsellus talks with Jules on the phone we can see that Mia is about to kiss Marsellus, but then it cuts to Jules.