why does vincent's gun go off?

Containing everything about Tarantino's breakthrough masterpiece, this is the cult section for all pulp fans!
mikke
Kiddo

Re: why does vincent's gun go off?

Post by mikke » Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:03 am

Johny_Exhale wrote: its not a mystery, it just accidently went off, it can happen
"shit happens"

vadid
Hard Drinker

Post by vadid » Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:12 pm

mikke wrote: "shit happens"
very true
"And everything seemed to be going so well"

-Dwight McCARTHY

Sharon_Nash

Post by Sharon_Nash » Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:37 am

that just meant to be so:) Version with the american gun - fair enough to belive:)) Ha-ha-ha:-)))

Joker

Post by Joker » Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:53 am

Evidence evidence evidence, hmm. What the fuck do you mean??!! Here's you godamn evidence!!

A GOD DAMN FUCKING HEAD EXPLODED

Angel
Fucking Professional

Post by Angel » Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:33 am

vadid wrote: well orginaly in the first script vinceant was supposed to shoot marvin once in the throat by accident and once again in the head to silence him but QT changed it becuase he thought it has funner and more shocking with 1 shot. But it never really is expland why the gun went off i think maybe were just supposed to accept it and thats it
Actually no, Travolta thought it would be funnier and lighter if it was one shot. He thought that shooting him again was too dark to be funny.

StanrickKubley
Kiddo

Post by StanrickKubley » Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:50 am

"Oh man, I just shot Marvin in the face!"
"Why the fuck'd you do that?!?"
"I didn't mean to do it, man.  It was an accident.  The car probably went over a bump or something."
"Man, the car didn't hit no motherfuckin' bump!"
"Look, I didn't mean to shoot the sonofabitch.  The gun went off.  I don't know why."

End of story.  It's obviously just a freak thing, open to interpretation.  Interestingly, in the end Jules considers carefully why the bullets spared him, but he and Vincent never mention Marvin again.  Hmm...

Kilgore Trout

Post by Kilgore Trout » Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:23 pm

I am a gun enthusiast - The reason that gun safety is so important is because sometimes the fucking things just go off.  It can't be explained - its just one of those things that happens - that's why you either keep em' unloaded or put the fucking safety on - The true way to carry a semi-automatic pistol is with an empty chamber - The Israelis are trained to draw the weapon, pull the receiver to load the chamber and fire quicker than most can merely draw a weapon with a round allready in the chamber - it is much safer this way - and no Jews accidentally get killed in the process!  Not everything in a film has to have some kind of fucking meaning - sometimes shit just happens - What's next - are we going to evaluate why the wolf likes lots of cream and lots of sugar in his coffee?
Last edited by Kilgore Trout on Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Johny_Exhale

Post by Johny_Exhale » Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:25 pm

Kilgore Trout wrote: I am a gun enthusiast
hahaha yeah good luck with that

Kilgore Trout

Post by Kilgore Trout » Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:26 pm

good luck with what?

Vince Vega
Fucking Professional

Post by Vince Vega » Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:29 pm

Kilgore Trout wrote: What's next - are we going to evaluate why the wolf likes lots of cream and lots of sugar in his coffee?
That is an interesting point actually. My guess would be that he's just a pussy, I mean, cream in your coffee? Come on! That's weak!

Kilgore Trout

Post by Kilgore Trout » Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:30 pm

I guess that you like your coffee like you like your men...BLACK!  haha :laugh:

...And the Wolf is NOT a pussy - "that's all you had to say Negro"
Last edited by Kilgore Trout on Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Johny_Exhale

Post by Johny_Exhale » Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:31 pm

Kilgore Trout wrote: good luck with what?
i'm sorry, gun enthusiasts are just a funny bunch of clowns to me, but do your thing

Kilgore Trout

Post by Kilgore Trout » Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:35 pm

Its not like I jerk off in the mirror with a holster on my hip or anything like that- I enjoy collecting firearms...I don't hunt either...so you can just forget about it PETA fucks!  I have WWII weapons, several pistols, and many Trap & Skeet shotguns.
There's nothing so unusual about that......not any more unusual than anything in a QT film.

Vince Vega
Fucking Professional

Post by Vince Vega » Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:40 pm

Kilgore Trout wrote: I guess that you like your coffee like you like your men...BLACK!  haha :laugh:
Oh please...

And even if I were gay, what has my way of drinking coffee to do with the way I would like my men?

By the way, I drink my coffee with sugar.

Kilgore Trout

Post by Kilgore Trout » Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:49 pm

Brown Sugar?

p.s.  I was just using a quote from Airplane...here's another one "excuse me, I speak Jive"

Vince Vega
Fucking Professional

Post by Vince Vega » Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:51 pm

Kilgore Trout wrote: Brown Sugar?
Nah, I'd rather have Golden Brown.

Kilgore Trout

Post by Kilgore Trout » Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:05 pm

Why is it that everytime I say anything it turns into a fucking "gay" topic? 

Johny_Exhale

Post by Johny_Exhale » Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:41 pm

if he didnt have his gun drawn .. he wouldnt of shot him and he gag wouldn't have worked, simple as that, theres no reason at all why he should have his gun pointing at Marvin at the time, it simply was there to make the joke work

Kilgore Trout

Post by Kilgore Trout » Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:46 pm

We're talking about two really bad mother fuckers who kill people after eating their burgers and quoting Bible verses that don't exist - the rules don't apply...Vince had his gun drawn in case Marvin decided to fuck up and be a hero.

Seth_Gecko
Fucking Professional

Post by Seth_Gecko » Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:09 pm

Biohazard wrote: That bible verse did exist, it was about the Philistines, yet Tarantino re-wrote the entire passage. Can you beleive that, he re-wrote god's words, now he's truly going to burn in hell.
Do god's words also count when they are badly translated?
Hey Paul! *Wields axe* Try getting a reservation at Dorsia now you fucking stupid bastard!

Kilgore Trout

Post by Kilgore Trout » Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:17 pm

Biohazard wrote: That bible verse did exist, it was about the Philistines, yet Tarantino re-wrote the entire passage. Can you beleive that, he re-wrote god's words, now he's truly going to burn in hell.
You are a really dumb mother fucker, and you know it.

Kilgore Trout

Post by Kilgore Trout » Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:39 pm

It sounds much more convincing when Samuel Jackson says it...that's probably because he's cool....like Fonzie.  You, on the other hand, are a complete idiot.  There's a quote from U-Turn where Sean Penn says to Billy Bob Thornton:
"Thousands of people die every day, why can't you be one of them?" You should re-evaluate the purpose of your life and save yourself before somebody says that to you.

Winston_Wolf

Post by Winston_Wolf » Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:24 pm

Actually, I think that the accidental shooting of the gun is like a prequel to the scene in Butch's apartment where his pop-tarts caused HIM to shoot the trigger.  I guess it was subtle karma that QT built into the script.

me
Fucking Professional

Post by me » Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:33 pm

Im thinking that "I Shot Marvin" scene was Either Inspired by Blow Out or Dog Day Afternoon
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cerpin Taxt
Cowardly Lion

Post by Cerpin Taxt » Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:24 am

Well, I always liked to think of it as Vincent just having terrible luck.

BUT, Vincent, being the dope that he is, may have been testing Jules and God. Vincent may have pulled the trigger on purpose to see if God would interfere yet again. To see if Jules was right. And the fact that Marvin didn't have an opinion on the matter may have been the reason why it just killed him.

The bigger mystery is how they got Marvin's face back together when they threw him back into the trunk at Jimmy's. I would think he'd be missing some of it.
Barbarian: I thought you were a doctor!!! You're supposed to heal people!!!
Bruce Campbell: I am a doctor. And your stupiditiy was terminal. But, now you're healed.
-Paraphrased from Alien Apocalypse

Snake Eyes
Basterd

Post by Snake Eyes » Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:32 am

Well it might be possible that the bullet just blew out the back of his head and the entry wound was small..  :P

Cerpin Taxt
Cowardly Lion

Post by Cerpin Taxt » Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:40 pm

Yeah. That, too.
Barbarian: I thought you were a doctor!!! You're supposed to heal people!!!
Bruce Campbell: I am a doctor. And your stupiditiy was terminal. But, now you're healed.
-Paraphrased from Alien Apocalypse

ScreamOftheButterfly

Post by ScreamOftheButterfly » Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:57 am

he did it on purpose

wakawaka
Cowardly Lion

Post by wakawaka » Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:21 am

vincent shot him on purpose because marvin didn't warn them about the guy with the huge gun in the bathroom. he didn't want to admit it was on purpose because samuel jackson became religious and was going to leave gangstering and wouldn't approve of killing marvin.
vincent is not a complete idiot, he was able to save uma thurman after the overdose by using his connections but he played it cool with marsellus who never found out. the only time you see the inside of his head is when he's in the bathroom before uma's overdose.
he is kind of thoughtless and irresponsible but accidentally shooting someone is not really something a hitman probably does, even a movie hitman caricature like vinnie.
he did it on purpose

HEinDC
Cowardly Lion

Post by HEinDC » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:54 am

wakawaka wrote:he is kind of thoughtless and irresponsible but accidentally shooting someone is not really something a hitman probably does, even a movie hitman caricature like vinnie.
he did it on purpose
But why would a hitman shoot someone in the face in a car on the road in broad daylight? If Vincent had decided to off Marvin for not warning them about the other guy in the bathroom, surely he would have come up with a much less risky (for him and Jules) way of doing it.