Kill Bill meets the MPAA

After reading several reviews stating how violent and gory Kill Bill is going to be. The big question about the movie is: How is QT going to get it released unedited by the MPAA? What do you think are his plans for this problem?

There is no way in hell, I swear, that the script if shot as is that he could use a “strategy” to avoid an NC-17 rating. This is fucking hard core Dead Alive shit.

I think it will definately have an R rating but Mike has an interesting theory about the whole thing:

Q expects the MPAA to cut some of the gore but to overlook something he wants in. How? Well he’ll make it FUCKING gory and then they’ll cut it out but they wont cut out something which is also gory but not as much. That ‘not as much’ was what QT originaly intended to be in the film. He is trying to trick the Mpaa. Which isnt a bad theory by Mike.

J.W.

I just sent Seb a good article about what the MPAA does. Maybe he’ll post it so you guys can read it. One part said that the MPAA accepted heavy gore and violence because there was no cursing when the violent act happened. Pretty weird huh? One thing I do know about the MPAA, they are a bunch of stupid fucks. Its like a fuckin jury of people who are made up of anybody off the street.

You can talk about it till your blue in the face, but there is no way this will get past the MPAA.

Here in Spain we haven´t the MPAA problem. A 6 year old boy can see films like Pulp Fiction or Evil Dead without any problem. ;D

Dead for the MPAA and censorship!!!

Yeah in cyrpus you dont have such a big problem about it either. But an 11 year old boy cant go see a Jenna Jameson movie if u know what i mean.

Sadly, a lot of good movies dont come to cyrpus.

J.W.

[quote]After reading several reviews stating how violent and gory Kill Bill is going to be. The big question about the movie is: How is QT going to get it released unedited by the MPAA? What do you think are his plans for this problem? [/quote]

It won’t be released unedited. The movie that will be released will be very different from the script unless all the stuff in the script is handled the same way he Mr. Blonde cut off Marvin’s ear.

All I know is that this movie will have an R rating. Miramax won’t release this movie NC-17 or unrated?

By the way, what I liked about Spongebob’s review is letting us in on the fact that Bob Richardson is the d.p…which reminds me of a joke:

Who shot JFK?

Bob Richardson!

get it, get it

you didn’t know Bob is the dp???

www.tarantino.info/movie/killbill/killbillcredits.htm

[quote]you didn’t know Bob is the dp???

www.tarantino.info/movie/killbill/killbillcredits.htm[/quote]

No Seb, I didn’t, just found out on the from Sponge’s review.

I think its cool that Bon Richardson was hired. I bet Quentin is making him watch lotsa Kung Fu films.

Tarantino is probably mature enough to understand that Bob is Oliver Stone’s D.P. and that he’s not gonna turn down work. You think Richardson even knew of the feud between the producers and tarantino?

Seb, what other cast and crew details do you have? Do you know if Sally Menke’s is editing again?

My theory about QT hiring Richardson as DP is

1. Richardson is great with the look of a film and Kill Bill has alot of colored filters and black n white in it.

2. QT picked Richardson because Stone used him on Natural Born Killers. Now QT is gonna show Stone how he wouldve shot NBK. Sort of a jab at Stone for stealing his story and fucking it all up.

all i know is on the kill bill page (click on credits)

Who cares about the rating? I want it to be bloody as hell!!! If it gets NC-17, who cares? If your under the age limit, SNEAK IN!

All I know is that I think people who have to rate movies are idiots…they don’t understand that violence in movies isn’t real!!!

I can see why they might put NC-17 for a sexual movie with a lot of sex and nudity, but violence? No way…people are stupid these days. It’s fake.

JungleBunny, movies do get NC-17 ratings for violence. It’s not just sex. Hell, Scarface got the X rating three times before it finally got an R.

Maybe QT will release it Unrated. I’d rather he did that if he’s going to make the movie ultra-violent.

Im one of those people that feels violence is fine in movies. There are no solid arguments against it to me. What will happen to adults when they see violence in Kill Bill? Are they gonna get up and leave? Are they gonna get mad? Are they gonna be excited or repulsed? Its such a bunch of BS. We are adults, we are free to get up and leave if we want to. Directors should be free to release a film regardless of the violence shown. Its a fantasy film, not reality. This MPAA rating shit has got to be thrown out when it comes to violence in movies. Im sick of hearing about NC-17 and X and R and fuckin P and T-U-V. They should just have G, PG and R and thats it.

[quote]My theory about QT hiring Richardson as DP is

1. Richardson is great with the look of a film and Kill Bill has alot of colored filters and black n white in it.

2. QT picked Richardson because Stone used him on Natural Born Killers. Now QT is gonna show Stone how he wouldve shot NBK. Sort of a jab at Stone for stealing his story and fucking it all up. [/quote]

I’d say that the thieves were Jane Hamsher and Don Murphy. Oliver Stone only got interested after Reservoir Dogs became famous at Sundance. But it was those two producers that really fucked up Quentin’s shit. It’s all in the book “Killer Instinct.”

[quote]

I’d say that the thieves were Jane Hamsher and Don Murphy.  Oliver Stone only got interested after Reservoir Dogs became famous at Sundance.  But it was those two producers that really fucked up Quentin’s shit.  It’s all in the book “Killer Instinct.”
[/quote]

Don Murphy is a fucking scumbag. QT shouldve done more than just bitchslap him. He shouldve kicked him in the balls and punched him out.

I havent read “Killer Instinct”, and I dont really want to. I hate all those Hollywood tell all books, theyre for all the wannabe Hollywood players, of which Im not.

Very interesting thinking about how the MPAA will react to Kill Bill. Over the past few years there really hasn’t been a graphic violent movie released. Even bullet-flying action movies are doing without squibs and gushing blood lately. Take into account ‘House of 1000 Corpses’, if i’m not mistaken (correct me if Im wrong) constantly battling the MPAA for over a year now. Probably butchering the film to expel its graphic gore. Then again Rob Zombie is a first time filmmaker, while Tarantino is already established who obviously knows what the public likes. Perhaps the MPAA plays favorites that way. Show you can generate a profit you get a treat for your next picture. Here’s to hoping.

The MPAA is a weird thing. Here’s an example of their weirdness.

There’s a movie out (or coming out) called Tadpole. In it a 14 year old boy has sex with an older woman. It got a PG-13. There’s another movie called L.I.E., in which a 14 year old boy has sex with an older man. That got an NC-17.

The thing is, Tadpole is a comedy, so the subject of pedophilia is taken lightly, therefore not as objectionable and deserves a PG-13 rating (apparently).

In the case of L.I.E., the movie is more of a drama, so it’s a very serious tone when dealing with this subject, so therefore it deserves an NC-17 (apparently).

So, in the MPAA’s eyes, anything is more acceptible and less offensive if it’s taken lightly in a more comedic film. When it’s serious, it’s not acceptible at all.

Honestly, I hope that Kill Bill gets an NC-17. The reason is because studios are so afraid of the “dreaded NC-17” because most newspapers, tv stations and theaters won’t run the ads for an NC-17 movie. And studios also know that they are more than likely garunteed to lose money on an NC-17 film. So, I’d love to see QT get the NC-17, keep it, and have his movie be the first NC-17 movie to make over $100 million.

Now, what makes me think that Kill Bill will get an NC-17 is not only the violence, but Uma’s goods. If she’s really gonna show it all then the movie will definately be slapped with an NC-17 (the only other movie I can think of that actually showed a woman’s pussy is Center Of The World)

Either way, NC-17, R, or Unrated, I’ll be seeing this movie. And sorry that this was so long and rambling. It’s late. :slight_smile:

Never in the script did it state that Uma’s little man in the boat was viewed. The moment was specifically stated it was from The Brides perspective.