Kill Bill Split maybe not so bad

I’ve watched the Kill Bill MTV Special the other day, and something QT kinda made me think.

You know we all bitch about Uma not killing Bill in 2003, because we wanna see the whole movie, not cut in 2 volumes. but then QT said that he’s 40% down with the editing of vol2 and he’s just checking the responses to vol1 worldwide, you know what the fans think, what they want, what they (dis)liked and all that feedback is going straight to the editing room and worked into vol2. so it’s kind of a new process of filmmaking in the sense that he’s incorporating feedback in a finished but-yet-to-be-edited movie.

So if you think about it, this could actually work out pretty good. now .Don’t let me be misunderstood ( :wink: get it), I’m not agreeing with the reason for the split, or saying that it’s alright that we have to wait 6 months to see how Bill wil get killed, but it does ease the wait and it will interesting to see what QT will do with this nice idea. what are your thoughts?

I thought the split was made so Kill Bill wouldn’t be edited?

Instead of doing that, Quentin should’ve just gotten fan feedback from the 1st draft screenplay. That way he includes all the stuff the fans want to see and deletes the stuff the fans don’t want to see. I betcha stuff like the Yuki’s Revenge chapter, the Mr. Barrell character, etc would’ve been left in the film.

who gives a fuck about Mr. Barrel ? He was useless.

Mr Barrel ~ Johnny Mo

well, that MTV thing is actually not a bad idea. I mean, maybe QT realizes some things he got from Vol1 screenings and is kind of restructuring his vol 2 idea.

I am sure it will be the same movie as he wanted it to make, but now he can even improve it, because he knows what didnt work that well in vol1 or something

That could be a very good reason. Kill Bill, for uninformed viewers, is actually a very weird movie to watch if you’re just some Joe Schmo. Uma Thurman is talking in Japanese, there are Japanese songs everywhere, an ocean of blood was used. Quentin probably wanted to see how Vol. 1 fared with those kind of viewers, and make more subtle changes for Vol. 2

I missed the MTV Special, but I guess its cool that QT is using feedback from audiences to shape Vol 2 for the better. Although I dont know how he can change the film that much if its already been shot.

To me Volume 1 is brilliant as it is. I didnt have any problems with it. It moved along at a nice pace too.

I hope Vol 2 just is longer than Volume 1 and has all kinds of cool surprises.

It woudln’t be such an idea if, based on “fan feedback” he decided to cut out a shit load of stuff.

[quote]It woudln’t be such an idea if, based on “fan feedback” he decided to cut out a shit load of stuff.[/quote]

Yeah that`s what I was thinking but this is Quentin`s film. I don`t think for one moment that he would change his movie from his original vision for the sake of pleasing anyone. It will be the same as it was always going to be. He`s never opted for the safe bet and there`s no way he will now.

Gosh, I can’t believe QT would do that.

Kill Bill is a masterpiece, screw what the viewers think!

I would want him to do it the way HE whants it to be, not what “THEY” want it to be.

And I cannot believe it, because QT once told the press (I think it way NY Times, can’t remember):something like "People want Pulp Fiction 2, so what! I don’t give a damn what people want"

I just had to smile when I read that.

[quote]Gosh, I can’t believe QT would do that.

Kill Bill is a  masterpiece, screw what the viewers think!

I would want him to do it the way HE whants it to be, not what “THEY” want it to be.

And I cannot believe it, because QT once told the press (I think it way NY Times, can’t remember):something like "People want Pulp Fiction 2, so what! I don’t give a damn what people want"

I just had to smile when I read that.[/quote]

Well you’re right about one thing: QT will make the movie he wants regardless of anything. But trust me, he really said what I wrote in my previous post.

But I thought about it and I don’t think he will take it into drastic any changes like if the fans want a different ending or if they would say, ‘gee, I sure hate the fact that they talk japanese’ and then he resyncs the vocals with english: that would be pure bullshit.

I think he’s just watching the small details because he already knows the movie he’s going to make. So it’s hard to point out exactly what he will do with the feedback, we’ll see what dish he’ll serve us.

but you know,(this is just an idea) since the only real negative thing I heard about vol.1 throughout dozens of reviews and fantalk was that it was too short or at least, that there was this hunger for more, so maybe he’ll think about that and go like: ok they want more, so they can handle more, so he might incorporate that into the editing process. think more scenes, violence a little bit more explicit.

or he’ll rethink about his ‘Western viewers can’t handle violence as good as Asian viewers’ theory a bit and give us a little bit more gore :stuck_out_tongue: yummy

I’ve read some of the comments about QT’s statement. I understand the concern, but you must realize that almost every film is in the editting room upon the release date.

I, also, think it’s a smart thing for Tarantino to do. It’s one thing to write a screenplay that reads like it will be cool. It’s another thing to see it executed. I believe he is evaluating what is on the screen to see where he can make inprovements. It doesn’t mean that he plans to dumb it down or do reshoots. The hardest thing about making a sequel is meeting the expectations of the audience. Look at The Matrix.

One other thing. It’s quite possible that he shot alternative endings. Maybe he wants to see how the audience reacts before he makes that decision.

This is bullshit. QT has always emphasized that he makes movies for himself, fuck the audience. “Post-fan-feedback cut” does not soud like Quentin at all. Making movies is a form of art, and a true artist fulfills his ambitions regardless of other people. Otherwise, he is a sellout.

Now, one thing I agree with. A split isn’t that bad. Although we have to wait for more than four months and pay double tickets, we get to see over 200mins (IMDB says vol2 running time 94mins, some 15 mins shorter than vol1) of footage instead of one movie that WOULD’VE been cut an hour or more, cus Miramax didn’t want to release a single movie that long.

Plus, financially it’s genious, because that way the film pays back a hell of a lot more.

[quote] The hardest thing about making a sequel is meeting the expectations of the audience. Look at The Matrix.[/quote]

Except for the fact that Kill Bill vol 2 isn’t a goddamn sequel, it’s one screenplay(aka movie if you want) split in two. There’s a huge difference, at least to me!