BOXOFFICE: $22.2mill (1st Weekend,USA)

8) :slight_smile: 8)

the webmaster: this topic is for ALL kill bill related box office discussions.

i heard $22.5 million :o :o :o :o :o :o

<LINK_TEXT text=“http://movies.yahoo.com/movies/feature/ … ficer.html”>http://movies.yahoo.com/movies/feature/weekendboxofficer.html</LINK_TEXT>

<LINK_TEXT text=“Domestic 2023 Weekend 4 - Box Office Mojo … =41&p=.htm”>Domestic 2003 Weekend 41 - Box Office Mojo</LINK_TEXT>

To be honest, that’s a little disappointing. I was expecting somewhere in the neighborhood of $27-30 million.

What sucks is that piece of shit movie Underworld made even more in its first weekend. You would think on a holiday weekend a much-anticipated Tarantino movie would’ve outgrossed other shitty movies out there.

I guess the mainstream audience don’t appreciate Tarantino enough or can’t handle their violence, or they just all have bad taste. :wink:

[quote]To be honest, that’s a little disappointing. I was expecting somewhere in the neighborhood of $27-30 million.

What sucks is that piece of shit movie Underworld made even more in its first weekend. You would think on a holiday weekend a much-anticipated Tarantino movie would’ve outgrossed other shitty movies out there.

I guess the mainstream audience don’t appreciate Tarantino enough or can’t handle their violence, or they just all have bad taste.  :wink:[/quote]

Right on! Then again, PULP FICTION and JACKIE BROWN made about $8-9 million during their opening weekend.

Here in the Los Angeles-area of California, most of the showings were sold out. ÂÂ

8)

What drove the US box for “Pulp Fiction” were the overwhelming critical praise AND the people who hated is so much (in a strange way they made other people want to see it for themselves.)

What will drive the US box for “Kill Bill Volume 1” are the 17-35 males (and some of the QT fans that had taken a wait and see because of their ‘let down’ with Jackie Brown,) MANY repeat viewings, AND STRONG positive word of mouth (particulary with the suprise demographic of women/girls who had ventured on opening weekend and LOVED it.) ÂÂ

I see KB Vol 1 staying on top until 'Matrix: Revolution," and then remaining strong (top 7) through to the year end holidays.

I see Kill Bill making maybe thirty million dollars more before Matrix Revolutions comes out and stomps it right out of the box office. Not that I don’t think KB is a better movie, but the Matrix has a whole lot of “word of mouth” behind it as well as a gigantic publicity machine.

The production as whole will more than break even after Volume 2 comes out, but don’t expect anything well beyond a hundred million dollars for the first volume.

This is the kind of movie that wil make more as it goes on. Everyone will hear about it from friends and want to see it. It is so fuking bloody that even people who like movies like Tremors 3 will want to see it just because of the violent parts.

Or perhaps Mr. Tarantino shoulden’t have told all the 12 year olds to sneek into the theater. JK AAAAAA

This is only the US domestic take (first weekend)… and I definitely think this movie will take in internationally 3-5 times more than it makes in US. I imagine Kill Bill Vol. 1 did really well in all the major cities… and it probably would have made more if there hadn’t been such a logjam of movies out.

The movie should pick up business the next two weekends (with word of mouth - can you imagine people trying to tell their friends/coworkers, etc., about this movie - interest will build)… just like Pulp Fiction did… so I would be very surprised if it doesn’t make $100 million + domestic US and $300 million + internationally when all is said and done. This alone will more than make back what it cost to make/market both movies and bring in huge profits… and Vol. 2 hasn’t even come out yet.

Then factor in what the Vol. 1 will make back w/ DVD sales, cable and pay per view deals… as well as video rental sales… and it will definitely make some serious $$$$$ for a good time to come.

Puck, I’ll take your bet. I see your $100 mil and I raise you $100 mil ($200 mil to you, bud.) 8)

If you know your history “The Matrix: Reloaded” has turned off quite a bit of people who saw it. No doubt the Matrix franchise has a hugh fan base and will rock when it opens. However, I believe “The Matrix: Revolution” will have higher drop off rate than “Kill Bill Volume 1.” Females will be the factor that keep KB Vol 1’s US Box strong (some of the most passionate and dead on acurate reviews from my perspective have been women.) This is a factor M:Rev cannot capture (The Matrix fanchise lost the good faith with M:Rel; many women who didn’t see “The Matrix” and came out to see M:Rel on the strong belief they missed something special the first time were very disappointed.)

[quote]Puck, I’ll take your bet. I see your  $100 mil and I raise you $100 mil ($200 mil to you, bud.)  8)

If you know your history “The Matrix: Reloaded” has turned off quite a bit of people who saw it.  No doubt the Matrix franchise has a hugh fan base and will rock when it opens.  However, I believe “The Matrix: Revolution” will have higher drop off rate than “Kill Bill Volume 1.”  Females will be the factor that keep KB Vol 1’s US Box strong (some of the most passionate and dead on acurate reviews from my perspective have been women.)  This is a factor M:Rev cannot capture (The Matrix fanchise lost the good faith with M:Rel; many women who didn’t see “The Matrix” and came out to see M:Rel on the strong belief they missed something special the first time were very disappointed.)[/quote]

Calm down, wow, you are angry at something. Puck has a valad point in saying that the matrix Reloaded will rock Kill Bill out of it’s place. It is the fucking last part of the biggest movie franchize right now.

Plus there are many negative reviews and that can badly heart a film.

I just want to let it be known that me loved the Kill Bill

No doubt badassmovieman.  The US box is ‘important’ for the pissing contest for the studios and the so called fanbase.  I don’t think movies should be about gladiator contests, but others seem to think so. ÂÂ

I go to see movies I like (sometimes my friends and coworkers have told me about a movie I have missed.)  Indeed, I do hope some of my favorite directors do well at the box office, so they can make some more movie to share. 8)

Starkey, nowhere in my ‘analysis’ I am angry or anger is implied (no doubt M:Rev will open #1 for that week, and will be quite strong at the US box. I am only highlighting drop off rates) :wink:

I think $22.5 mil is pretty good considering Pulp and Jackie Brown we’re about $9 mil and it’s already nearly half way to recouping the budget for both movies. I’m still amazed Quentin managed to make such an epic movie with so much style and technical wizardry for only $55 mil when the closest movies to it are over $120 mil. I see it making maybe another $45-50 mil this week at least.

[quote]Puck, I’ll take your bet. I see your $100 mil and I raise you $100 mil ($200 mil to you, bud.) 8)

If you know your history “The Matrix: Reloaded” has turned off quite a bit of people who saw it. No doubt the Matrix franchise has a hugh fan base and will rock when it opens. However, I believe “The Matrix: Revolution” will have higher drop off rate than “Kill Bill Volume 1.” Females will be the factor that keep KB Vol 1’s US Box strong (some of the most passionate and dead on acurate reviews from my perspective have been women.) This is a factor M:Rev cannot capture (The Matrix fanchise lost the good faith with M:Rel; many women who didn’t see “The Matrix” and came out to see M:Rel on the strong belief they missed something special the first time were very disappointed.)[/quote]

I’ll take that bet so long as we’re speaking domestically. I think Kill Bill will stomp out the competition in Asia and parts of Europe, but not in America. If I’m wrong (and so far, my earlier predictions about the opening box office numbers were just about on spot) I’ll publicly denounce myself on this board and in the chat lounge as an ass who doesn’t know what he’s talking about. Hell…I’ll even put it in my sig. If you lose, you have to do what I will have to do if I’m wrong.

Deal?

[quote]No doubt badassmovieman. The US box is ‘important’ for the pissing contest for the studios and the so called fanbase. I don’t think movies should be about gladiator contests, but others seem to think so.

[/quote]

The box office numbers are massively important to me as a Tarantino fan. Not because they’ll change my outlook on the movie itself or Tarantino, but because the profits earned by the movie ultimately deterimine how long the leash the Weinsteins put around Tarantino’s neck will be. If Quentin ends up totally flopping (which he obviously hasn’t) Inglorious Bastards might take longer to get shot, or just might not have the budget needed for a true war epic. Little things like that matter, in the end.

[quote]

The box office numbers are massively important to me as a Tarantino fan.  Not because they’ll change my outlook on the movie itself or Tarantino, but because the profits earned by the movie ultimately deterimine how long the leash the Weinsteins put around Tarantino’s neck will be.  If Quentin ends up totally flopping (which he obviously hasn’t) Inglorious Bastards might take longer to get shot, or just might not have the budget needed for a true war epic.  Little things like that matter, in the end.
[/quote]

Puck with a bit of luck Quentin won’t get fucked and people will spend the buck and make the movie’s box office gross not suck a duck. Sorry Puck , I had to…and now I suck. Puck.

Deal, Puck. I accept that I will make a forum statement that I am ass who doesn’t know shit. ::slight_smile:

(I propose the check date to be Mon, Jan 12, 2004.)

[quote]

The box office numbers are massively important to me as a Tarantino fan.  Not because they’ll change my outlook on the movie itself or Tarantino, but because the profits earned by the movie ultimately deterimine how long the leash the Weinsteins put around Tarantino’s neck will be.  If Quentin ends up totally flopping (which he obviously hasn’t) Inglorious Bastards might take longer to get shot, or just might not have the budget needed for a true war epic.  Little things like that matter, in the end.
[/quote]

That is true Puck, plus the budget was raised on Kill Bill many times because Miramax let Tarantino do what ever he wanted. If they learn that he dosen’t gather enough fans and not enough people will see his movies, than next time around Miramax won’t be so flexible in their budget. But that’s all just a stupid guess by me

So far im really dissapointed in the numbers, miramax really went all out in advertising so much for this film with like 10 tv spots. It reminds me when the matrix first came out and I loved it so much ,the reviews were positive but it had like a 26 mill opening. I taught people were gonna flock to the theaters for it. But the movie hung on forever cause everyone who saw it spread the word how good it was. I think it was in the top3 for 2 months. I know alot of people liked kill bill and the majority of people who saw it were the “geeks” fanboys or whatever the f u wanna call them. This week will be crucial for QT , miramax and kill bill future specially vol2.

the numbers are still growing i saw it today and the theater was some what filled at an early sunday show

the numbers dont really count on this one i dont think, when vol 2 comes out they could have a double feature and blow out whatever its up against.