[Vol 1] I feel cheated about the ending

It was a great feeling having my heart racing and my mind trying to figure out “what could possibly happen next?” at the end of KB. However, when the closing credits appeared I felt as if someone had stolen nine dollars out of my pocket once again ( I know it was you Harvey!). I had read in QT’s Playboy interview that Harvey Weinstein came to the set and suggested that he cut the film in half and release it Vol 1 / Vol 2 instead of a three hour epic as it was originally planned. I really loved the movie and would have sat in the theater for nine hours if the movie was going to continue at the pace it had set.

Does any one else feel they were robbed in the end?

With the whole thing shot and in the can, I feel like the studio pressured Tarantino into marketing the film this way. I am sick and tired of big hollywood destroying this art form with their quest for the beloved almighty dollar.

Then again maybe I’m just mad because I am broke!

I wish I could say I knew how you felt, but I live in south where everything is cheaper, and on top of that, the first showing I went to was a matinee. I only paid 4.50 for a ticket, so whereas I hear everyone bitching about how they have to pay 18-20 dollars to see the entire movie, I only smile because I’m only gonna have to pay $9 for the entire experience. :wink:

Well, QT wouldn’t get intimidated by Miramax and they wouldn’t do that.

As Weinstein has often admitted…Tarantino is the reason Miramax is big now. He was the one that made the company what it is today by the success of Pulp Fiction.

I personally don’t feel cheated at all.

Altho that might have something to do with the fact I’ve seen the film twice…for free ;D

True true

But you still have to wait so many months for some closure.

Talk about blue balls!

where in the south puck?

oh and in florida i only paid 7.00

South Georgia - Statesboro to be exact. And its 7.00 or 7.50 where I live for a full ticket, but I never go to late night showings, I always go to the cheaper matinees (4.50 a ticket) during late morning to mid afternoon. Hardly anyone’s in the theater unless its PG-13 and under or unless its opening weekend, so I get to just watch the movie on the big screen without putting up with big mouths laughing and talking through the movie, cell phones going off, people walking in and out, people blocking my view, etc.

Only time I ever walk into a packed theater is unless its an early midnight showing.

I don’t feel cheated from the money end of it. But I really want to see volume 2 now. I wish they would have stuck with 6 weeks.

I just saw it. I don’t feel cheated at all. After the battle with the crazy 88 I felt it ended good. I think I would have gotten tired of it if it were 3 hours plus. It was a good call to cut it.

Oh, and if anyone remembers when I said I had my doubts about this movie and there was that shit going on …I was wrong, you were right. Although that doesn’t change the fact that some people are blind fan boys and shitheads around here.

[quote]Oh, and if anyone remembers when I said I had my doubts about this movie and there was that shit going on …I was wrong, you were right. Although that doesn’t change the fact that some people are blind fan boys and shitheads around here.[/quote]

Eep! Thank god you don’t have a name ‘The_Man_With_No_Name’ or you’d get a good beating ‘Jay and Silent Bob’ style. (MagnoliaFan, anyone?)

And about the movie being cut in half, well i’ll have to wait till i see it when it comes out tomorrow. Yes, tomorrow. So if you want to talk about being cheated, how about waiting another week to see the film. No mighnight screenings. No preview screenings. Nothing.

However i really shouldn’t be complaining either, with some countries having to wait till next year. :-/

I don’t feel cheated. I knew what I was getting into see when I payed the 6 bucks for the ticket. I already knew I wasn’t getting closure. I knew what I was paying for, and so I had a blast. Kill Bill volume one rulez.

The only thing I had beef with in terms of the “splitting” thing was that we don’t get any backstory for the Bride till the second volume.

I don’t feel cheated what so ever. I got my money’s worth, all 4 times. I think it was a good idea. The more money this movie makes, the more freedom they’ll give Tarantino in the future and the more money. I think that it kind of hooks you in, and they know that anybody that saw the first one has to see the one that ends it.

I don’t think Tarantino needs to worry about money and artistic freedom anymore. Whoring out coma patients? I don’t think it gets anymore free than that.

I guess what bothers me most is that movies are becoming like television. Because of the way they chose to release it, Kill Bill to me is more like a mini series or a soap opera than a film. I did not pay to see a really big soap opera, I paid to see a film. Part 2 is not a sequal, it is just the other half of part one, it is an excuse to get me and my girlfriend out to the movies to again buy overpriced soda and popcorn (one and a half price of admission by the way). If this is how they want to distribute Tarantino’s work then they should give him an HBO series to run a muck with.

I really think that come volume 2 time I will be looking to Robin Hoods of the Internet to give me what I want. Just me, my woman, a sack of ninety cent popcorn, my digital projector, my bong, and a tweleve pack of Budweiser. That is how movie going (or not going) should be.

Just to reiterate: This is discussion is not about content, it is about movie studios and how they scam the public. It is not fuck Tarantino, it is fuck Sony fuck Lowes fuck Miramax. I am sick and tried of paying for Ben Affleck’s career and bullshit movies like “The Battle of Shaker Heights”

[quote]I don’t think Tarantino needs to worry about money and artistic freedom anymore.  Whoring out coma patients?  I don’t think it gets anymore free than that. ÂÂ

I guess what bothers me most is that movies are becoming like television.  Because of the way they chose to release it, Kill Bill to me is more like a mini series or a soap opera than a film.  I did not pay to see a really big soap opera, I paid to see a film.  Part 2 is not a sequal, it is just the other half of part one, it is an excuse to get me and my girlfriend out to the movies to again buy overpriced soda and popcorn (one and a half price of admission by the way).  If this is how they want to distribute Tarantino’s work then they should give him an HBO series to run a muck with. ÂÂ

I really think that come volume 2 time I will be looking to Robin Hoods of the Internet to give me what I want.  Just me, my woman, a sack of ninety cent popcorn, my digital projector, my bong, and a tweleve pack of Budweiser.  That is how movie going (or not going) should be.

Just to reiterate:  This is discussion is not about content, it is about movie studios and how they scam the public.  It is not fuck Tarantino, it is fuck Sony fuck Lowes fuck Miramax.  I am sick and tried of paying for Ben Affleck’s career and bullshit movies like “The Battle of Shaker Heights”         [/quote]

i agree with you somewhat - I say - fuck it - sneak in the theatre!

Unless you own a kick ass sound system and huge flat screen tv then to experience a film it is better to see it in a theatre.

anyhow - I sneak in food to the flicks

fuck all that stale popcorn overpriced fuckery!

[quote]
I really think that come volume 2 time I will be looking to Robin Hoods of the Internet to give me what I want.  Just me, my woman, a sack of ninety cent popcorn, my digital projector, my bong, and a tweleve pack of Budweiser.  That is how movie going (or not going) should be.

Just to reiterate:  This is discussion is not about content, it is about movie studios and how they scam the public.  It is not fuck Tarantino, it is fuck Sony fuck Lowes fuck Miramax.  I am sick and tried of paying for Ben Affleck’s career and bullshit movies like “The Battle of Shaker Heights”         [/quote]

This is not directed just at you but anyone who is thinking or is currently downloading movies with little or no intent to go see the movie or buy the DVD.

If you fuck the studios you fuck Tarantino. Don’t you see? Who pays Quentin? We do. We pay the cinemas, cinemas pay the studios. That’s how things work. Piracy is total bullshit and you know it because who gets paid? No one. The problem isn’t so noticable at the moment and the studios make multiple millions anyway you might say but… think of the situation in 15 or even 20 years.

Everyone has decided to boycott the studios, no one pays for anything, broadband is now used by the vast majority of the civilised world, downloadable movies have reached a quality where no one needs to even buy a DVD. They can make up a truely awesome DVD themselves with the latest authoring software that makes the job very easy with little or no effort. Everybody downloads everything or at least 85% of the people feel this way. What then? Can the studios continue funding movies, can people like Quentin be allowed to make movies?, will there even be as many movies? will struggling filmmakers find it easier to get their first films made??? the answers are no and no and no and no.

Believe me, if we fuck the studios over eventually we fuck the filmmaker over as well, we fuck the distributer over because they need to get paid as well, we also fuck ourselves over because we don’t have as many if any new films to watch at the theatre.

In fact, we’d be lucky to have anywhere near the choice we do now and those film makers not entirely pissed off about having all of the profits from their movies drained away will be few and far between. This is the world of tommorow we are looking at and anyone who supports this needs to think about what they are doing for the film industry in the general scheme of things. In short: DON’T download movies, see them in the theatre and then buy the DVD or don’t go to the theatre and just buy the DVD if your that hard done by.

Beautiful response. Now we have a discussion.

Lets compare this issue of downloading movies to what has recently happened in the music industry. Compact disc prices had steadily been on the rise for a few years. Then file sharing catches on and millions and millions of people start sharing these files across the world. The recording industry catches wind and realizes that they are losing millions and millions of dollars every day. They cry foul to the government, file a ton of lawsuits, and sue the ass off of a buch of broke college students. Meanwhile, some record executive realizes that there has been some serious price gouging going on for a while and decides to blow the whistle.

The result: CD prices have go into retractment and I was able to buy the new new Outkast double disk in Target (of all places) for $11 on the day it was released!

You may say “Numlip what does this have to do with movies?” This brings me back to my original point. Lets say this happens in the film industry. People continue to “share” movies, the distributors and production companies feel it in their pockets, they cry foul to the gov and the courts and the little guys get sued. Then maybe, just maybe, the same thing happens and ticket prices begin to decrease along with DVD’s and everything else that goes along with it. Or better yet they release the full version of movies instead of cutting them in half!

I am not a theif nor do I support downloading stolen material. The bottom line is that it seems that in this day and age in order for us consumers to have our voices heard, we need to take drastic measures in order to make things happen. If this means destroying the “Studio System” and rebuilding the way films are produced and distributed then so be it. I will participate as long as I know that the purpose of what I am doing is not selfish and for the good of the common consumer.

BTW: There is a huge population of filmmakers and distributors who live and work out side of the Hollywood system (including myself). We have no problem rasing funds and building networks that enable us to make this art our life’s work.