[Vol 1] What I Didn't Like about House of Blue Leave

Now before u start yelling at me, let me just let you know I LOVED this movie and is my second favorite movie now after Pulp Fiction.

But I did NOT like how the House of BLue Leaves BIG battle was black and white. What the fuck was up with that shit? In the script Tarantino says it transitions in and out of black and white…in this it was black and white until that scene where Uma is killing those guys in that blue room.

What pissed me off was it was the bloodiest part but since it was black and white I didn’t get the feel or FUN of the carnage. I wouldn’t have minded it being half black and white and half color…but all black and white? It looked terrible…you guys could say all u want how it was “Artistic” or bullshit but deep down in side all those parts where blood is flying all over you wish it was color. I don’t know…black and white seemed kinda useless.

Any one else feel like I do? Anyone know WHY it was all blackand white?

I thought maybe Tarantino watered that down because it was the bloodiest scene in the movie…

But I just think it would of looked a lot better in color.

of course it would have looked better. but it it was in color it would have really flirted with an nc-17 despite the ‘cartoonishness’ of the violence. think about it. you have things that you’ve basically never seen in american mainstream cinema. a gut being opened and intestines spilling out, people WRITHING in agony after losing a limb or two. the most ‘violent’ parts were in the b&w section, the eye, the splitting of the guy… just all around carnage.

although it’s in the original script (the change to black and white) i think it’s obvious he did it because of the mpaa. it will be interesting to hear from the japanese/chinese just how much different their cut is from america’s. because quentin is on record saying it will be different.

truth be told, i don’t want to see the ‘american version’ ever again. wait i worded that wrong. after i see it 3-4 more times in theaters, i don’t want to see it ever again. i want qt to release a dvd of HIS ULTIMATE DIRECTOR’S CUT from the footage he shot. that’s all i want.

8) [color=Blue]I saw the movie tonight, got home came on, and read your bullshit, and well yea it was in black in a white while one of the tightest swooshing and slicing of the sword parts happened, but it wasnt bad, just because you were used of seeing the red blood gushing out from limbs and such, and suddenly it goes in black and white mode, doesnt degrade the fight, it was some tight ass shit whether black and white or pretty colors, but saying you love a movie and saying you dont like one of the most climatic fights in movie history, is just fucking hypocritical, and maybe you should stick to pulp fiction the rest of your entire life, if you dont like it… :o

wtf?

I think it’s a legitimate complaint. The film has already shown the most gory parts of the film in color. (beheadings, pedophilia, eye gouging, impalements, etc…) Why the fuck can’t the MPAA just let THREE more minutes slide? The MPAA has the weirdest, most fucked up rules.

It’s possible to love a movie and stil have criticisms you know.

I really think people who complain about this movie (especially people who havent seen a film like this in American theaters) should really shut the hell up. Complaining about parts of the movie in black and white? You gotta be fuckin crazy.

ok I posted this in another thread…

“the whole black and white fight scene is a nod to the old samurai films,and it works perfectly.if that scene had been showed in colour,it may well have been somewhat of a sensory overload.by having that scene in black and white you are being forced to focus purely on the fighting,and thats important.this scene is so beautifully choreographed,and thats what he wants you to see.not just the gore.it switches back to colour just after the fighting has stopped,and thats when you see the trail of carnage the Bride has left.its brilliant”

seriously.together with the soundtrack the black and white is fucking perfect.when you have a battle like in b&w like that,it like automatically makes that scene epic.a piece in cinematic history that is fucking untouchable.sorry you didnt get it

this thread seriously pisses me off

I cant believe you guys think it has anything to do with ratings.the black and white fucking makes it

don’t we have a HOBL topic already. goddamn, people you’re giving me a hard time. dont open new topics all the time. browse, find existing topics and post there… >:(

i dont give a fuck if black or white, its already violent enough, isn’t, it? black and white rules! just imagine that the blood is red, or have you lost your imaginations? some of the most violent things in movie history happend off-screen, so dont bitch

I don’t know about you guys, but I for one REALLY liked the black and white. It looked really good, it was an interesting parallel to the opening, and it allowed us to have a beautiful transition: blinking. PURE GOLD. ;D

By the way…I’m AMAZED that QT got this past the MPAA. This was awesome! Thanks MPAA for not insisting that most of the film be cut!

[quote]I don’t know about you guys, but I for one REALLY liked the black and white. It looked really good, it was an interesting parallel to the opening, and it allowed us to have a beautiful transition: blinking. PURE GOLD. ;D

By the way…I’m AMAZED that QT got this past the MPAA. This was awesome! Thanks MPAA for not insisting that most of the film be cut![/quote]

Amen to that!! I mean, how can someone complain about what got up on the big screen? That shit was INSANE!!! Ive never seen anything like it in my 29 years of going to see movies. Its like, take the most violent film youve seen and add100 X the blood and gore, thats what we’re talkin about here. It transcended them all.

Uhmmmmmmmmm, I don’t really think that QT wanted it in B&W, first off, he shot that entire part in COLOUR!!! remember the teaser, with Uma running up the arm rail, colour right? and in an interview, he said the the Jap version has that scene in colour, that the US wouldn’t be able to handle it, I think it was a loop hole more than an artistic choice.

[quote]

Amen to that!!   I mean, how can someone complain about what got up on the big screen? That shit was INSANE!!! Ive never seen anything like it in my 29 years of going to see movies. Its like, take the most violent film youve seen and add100 X the blood and gore, thats what we’re talkin about here. It transcended  them all. [/quote]

Exactly!!! That was the most intense movie I’ve ever seen! There was an insane amount of violence in this movie! We should feel blessed that the MPAA (who have been vicious with rating lately) allowed us to see all we did!

This is all not mentioning how artfully done the black and white scenes were. I mean, it isn’t as if he just threw it together…it looked really good. (I really really liked the transition back to color through the blinking)

"Uhmmmmmmmmm, I don’t really think that QT wanted it in B&W, first off, he shot that entire part in COLOUR!!! remember the teaser, with Uma running up the arm rail, colour right? and in an interview, he said the the Jap version has that scene in colour, that the US wouldn’t be able to handle it, I think it was a loop hole more than an artistic choice. "

It was in the script man, he definitely wanted it that way.

After my first viewing I was a bit dissapointed.

I read what grvrchtct.vol_2 said and on my second viewing totally saw the light. I wouldn’t have that sequence any other way.

[quote]

Amen to that!!   I mean, how can someone complain about what got up on the big screen? That shit was INSANE!!! Ive never seen anything like it in my 29 years of going to see movies. Its like, take the most violent film youve seen and add100 X the blood and gore, thats what we’re talkin about here. It transcended  them all. [/quote]

you obviously haven’t seen much japanese cinema.

battle royale? ichi the killer? pretty much ANYTHING by miike? all much much worse than kill bill.

[quote]

you obviously haven’t seen much japanese cinema.

battle royale? ichi the killer? pretty much ANYTHING by miike? all much much worse than kill bill.
[/quote]

I meant HOLLYWOOD cinema not Japanese. Theres a big difference there.  Ive seen all kinds of Japanese Cinema actually, from Seijun Suzuki  to Kurosawa, to Lone Wolf and Cub to The Streetfighter to Godzilla films to Takashi Miike and Beat Takeshi.

This is another one of those topics that shouldnt be on the board like the “What I dont like about QT fans” one. When I look at the title of it, it pisses me off.

mmm, I kind of have mixed feelings. In a negative way, the B+W kind of degraded the fight scene all together, and I kind of felt disconnected in a way, and the carnage wasn’t as graphic. But in a good way, I saw the fight scene in a different light, I saw it in an artistic way. Plus seeing the floor after the carnage (in color) was a slap in the face, seeing all the limbs and bodies everywhere. If it wasn’t in B+W, that post-carnage scene would’nt been half as powerful.

I don’t know what’s wrong with saying we didn’t like the B&W parts of the House of Blue Leaves. I’m not saying cut it all out. I would’ve like a mix of B&W with color, for effect, but not an entire three minute stretch of it. I still don’t know if it was QT’s arstistic choice or some MPAA compromise, but I would always want to see QT’s true vision, not some watered down shit from the MPAA. My favorite parts with Uma was the spinning ax in the air, and her running up the stair bannister. That would’ve looked GLORIOUS in color. Also, what the fuck did Uma do to the first ax that was thrown at her? It’s hard to see now because it is in B&W.

I think that if we had the choice to see it in B&W or in color like the Asiain version, 90% of us would be on top of the Asian version.

That is QT’s true vision man. He wrote the black and white changes almost exactally as they are in the movie.

I thought the Black and White in the beginning made it even more gruesome. Later when you see Uma’s face in color I don’t think it’s as bad.

[quote]That is QT’s true vision man. He wrote the black and white changes almost exactally as they are in the movie.[/quote]

The thing is, though, that the Asian version has very few of these B&W shots. Are you saying the Asian cut isn’t Quentin Tarantino’s true vision then? :wink:

I admit, they are cool too, but I just wanted a tad less of it. (Use the B&W on the the normal fighting, but for the MONEY SHOTS, like the spinning ax or rail climb, keep that shit in color)

Yeah, Delfonics, that reminded me, that was another thing that bothered me. Because it was black and white, I couldn’t see what the fuck was going on! Everything was much harder to see, and the blood looked like water. That was another gripe, but in the end, for the dvd, if QT decides to keep it B+W, I won’t complain. Still fucking awesome movie. ;D