[Vol 1] Just Watched Kill Bill (minor spoilers)

I’m somewhat ashamed to say that I was a little dissapointed. But I anticipated this film so much that it would of had to have been fuckin’ unbelievable to live up to my expectations. I’m not doubting that once volume 2 comes out the two volumes together will be fuckin’ unbelievable though. On my first viewing I found it to be better than Dogs, on par with Jackie Brown, and not quite as good as Pulp. But I need to see it again with a more objective viewpoint, and I have a feeling once volume 2 comes out it will be every bit as good as Pulp, especially for fans of cult cinema.

I only had two minor gripes. The first one is, I despise anime, but I knew that going in. I thought maybe QT anime would show me the light, but, it’s still anime to me. The second one is the switch to black and white in the house of blue leaves segment. There’s no rhyme or reason to the switch. The only thing that I can think is because of the ratings, and that’s why it was a bit dissapointing. Especially cause alot of the most violent stuff is in black and white. Oh, one other thing not really a gripe, but the opening shot is really hard to look at. I think the black and white makes it even more chilling.

That said, let’s get to the good stuff.

Aside from the B&W the house of blue leaves segment is definitely one of the best action sequences I’ve ever seen. I don’t think I’m exaggerating when I say it’s every bit as good as the final scene in Scarface, or anything in Star Wars or Indiana Jones.

Sonny Chiba fucking owns the scenes he’s in.

Uma Thurman… just see the movie and you’ll understand.

Tarantino’s best soundtrack/score to date. Fucking brilliant.

I guess my dissapointment was basically the anime didn’t live up to my expectations. Also the beginning made me slightly uncomfortable, especially the battered bride shots and the hospital scenes. But Jackie Brown is the only QT movie that didn’t make me uncomfortable at one point or another. I don’t hold that against the movie at all, I guess it just caught me off guard a bit and kind of numbed my excitement for a bit. And I wanna see the rest of the movie damnit! ;D

God I can’t wait till February.

Oh after reading a couple other reviews, I thought I should second that it’s definitely the most impressive camera work he’s ever done.

the whole black and white fight scene is a nod to the old samurai films,and it works perfectly.if that scene had been showed in colour,it may well have been somewhat of a sensory overload.by having that scene in black and white you are being forced to focus purely on the fighting,and thats important.this scene is so beautifully choreographed,and thats what he wants you to see.not just the gore.it switches back to colour just after the fighting has stopped,and thats when you see the trail of carnage the Bride has left.its brilliant

when Stone used animation in NBK,I hated it,and out of the whole movie the anime sequence was the one I was most unsure of how it would turn out.I think it was quite amazing and fitted in perfectly.in fact,after seeing that I am convinced that to show us the background of O-Ren anime was the ONLY format that could possibly work.

I felt uncomfortable with the starting scene too,and that is entirely the point.without showing much at all he manages to show you just how bad they fucked up the bride,and why it is she has turned into this vengeful killing machine.tarantino at his best

"I felt uncomfortable with the starting scene too,and that is entirely the point.without showing much at all he manages to show you just how bad they fucked up the bride,and why it is she has turned into this vengeful killing machine."

I totally agree, I was just saying perhaps my not being prepared for that dampened my enjoyment of the first half of the movie.

"in fact,after seeing that I am convinced that to show us the background of O-Ren anime was the ONLY format that could possibly work."

I see your point. I just don’t like anime at all. lol.