Was Budd happy?

I’ve been thinking about this for a while, and i’m still not sure. I’ve heard many say that Budd was a “Satisfied Mind”, because he chose to live in a trailer and work a shit job at a titty bar (to escape the life of being an assassin and also because he felt so guilty about performing in the wedding massacre). But was he really comfortable and/or happy with that life? Volume 2 made his character seem very tragic and sad, and it seemed like he was punishing himself a great deal because of past deeds. Also, when he shoots the rock salt in Bea’s tits and buries her, it’s almost as if he’s remembering who he used to be and he’s actually having some “fun”, which probably hasn’t happened to him in quite a while. So…opinions/thoughts?

edit: Can you still have a Satisfied Mind, but not be entirely happy?

I don’t think he’s happy no.

He is at a point now where he doesn’t give a shit. Yu can tell from his behaviour, attitude and actions that he doesn’t give a shit about life anymore. Although he isn’t happy, he doesn’t care because to him, he deserves what he is doing to himself. Allthough deep down he cares a lot for his brother “This is for breaking my brothers heart” which was quite a dramatic moment stressed amongst other things by Morricones score.

He does crave for the ‘good ol’ times’ yet he feels those days are gone now and he has emotionally moved on. He just wants to live the rest of his life like a bum basically, and to him that’s what he deserves. He still holds his past occupation in quite a high esteem judging by the Hanzo sword he secretly keeps, but to him last aim was to kill Beatrix, and live off of that millioon dollars he recieved from Elle. Obviously things didn’t go quite as planned…

If his aim was to kill Beatrix, then why did he give her a flashlight and put his boots on her feet, which contained a knife for untying herself? I think maybe he wanted Bea to escape and come after Elle, but by the time she did he would have the million dollars and be gone already.

But if he didn’t give a shit, then how was he satisfied? Were his expectations so low that he would have been just satisfied without really having anything?

[quote=“IL_Buono”]

But if he didn’t give a shit, then how was he satisfied? Were his expectations so low that he would have been just satisfied without really having anything?
[/quote]

Yes, exactly. Even though he didn’t have anything, atleast his mind was at peace.

I don’t think he knew she had the knife in her boots. He knew what he had to do, but atleast had a little sympathy for Beatrix thus providing her with a flashlight, but is that any consolation?? She would die there, flashlight or not, and it would have been one horrible death at that.

So would a person who is totally apathetic to life be “satisfied”? Or do you think maybe Budd felt at least a little happiness on the inside?

But those were HIS boots, so he had to have known there was a knife in them. In the script, it says that Budd puts his boots on Beatrix’s feet. The reason he buried her alive instead of just letting her walk away is because he valued his own life, and he didn’t want to die either. So with the flashlight and knife, at least she had some kind of chance. And knowing Beatrix, being buried alive was most likely just a simple obstacle for her.

He was a little happy yes, due to the fact that he has punished himself and now feels satisfied, even though his life is now shit.

Yes, burying Beatrix with a knife and flashlight would have just re-assured him that he is not that same ‘mean old bastard’. He wants to get away from that life, and by killing Beatrix directly he is basically just playing his Sidewinder part again, which he doesn’t want to do. But how did Beatrix know of the knife in her boot? Did she know Budd put it there on purpose? in which case if Beatrix did escape she would have spared Budd, killed Elle and Budd could go on living how he’d like, otherwise he would have got away anyway maybe.

Budd, although valuing life itself would not value his ‘way of life’. Punishing himself and leading a shitty life, was basically what made him happy.

[quote=“Ify”]

Yes, burying Beatrix with a knife and flashlight would have just re-assured him that he is not that same ‘mean old bastard’. He wants to get away from that life, and by killing Beatrix directly he is basically just playing his Sidewinder part again, which he doesn’t want to do. But how did Beatrix know of the knife in her boot? Did she know Budd put it there on purpose? in which case if Beatrix did escape she would have spared Budd, killed Elle and Budd could go on living how he’d like, otherwise he would have got away anyway maybe.

[/quote]

She probably just felt it in her boot, but I’m not sure if she knew or not if Budd put it there on purpose. But I never really thought about whether she would have spared Budd or not. She did basically “spare” Elle, so she may have done the same with Budd. But we’ll never know for sure since Budd was already dead by the time Bea got to his trailer.

[quote=“IL_Buono”]
I’ve been thinking about this for a while, and i’m still not sure. I’ve heard many say that Budd was a “Satisfied Mind”, because he chose to live in a trailer and work a shit job at a titty bar (to escape the life of being an assassin and also because he felt so guilty about performing in the wedding massacre). But was he really comfortable and/or happy with that life? Volume 2 made his character seem very tragic and sad, and it seemed like he was punishing himself a great deal because of past deeds. Also, when he shoots the rock salt in Bea’s tits and buries her, it’s almost as if he’s remembering who he used to be and he’s actually having some “fun”, which probably hasn’t happened to him in quite a while. So…opinions/thoughts?

edit: Can you still have a Satisfied Mind, but not be entirely happy?
[/quote]

Fuck me dry, I was thinking about this very same thing yesterday. Oh God!

maybe the knife was in her sock!! and if budd was happy, then he wouldnt bother selling a sword for a million bucks. he was tired of being a broke ass bastard. hence the slight dissapointment he shows when he gets marked off the job calender. and as we all know, if your tired of being a broke ass bastard then your sure as hell not happy about it.

I think the reason most people thing that he had a satisfied mind is becasue thats what it sais in the Johnny Cash song he plays, and a song about a man who has lost a lot of things in life but is satisfied now with nothing, kinda could fit in with Budds later life.

Personally though I dont think he was  happy, I think that somewhere along the track he’d had some sort of an apitheme,or something had happed to make him realise what terrible things he’d done, and now he was punishing himself. He wasnt so much satisfied as determined that this is how he should now live his life (kinda like paying a penance)

But nether-the-less he was still honourable, so when it came to burying Beatrix he gave her a chance to escape, sure a flashlight and a pocket knife wouldnt give a bound person great odds from escaping from a tiny coffin buried under 6 feet of earth. But he gave her a chance because that was the right and respectful  thing to do.

yall are getting it all wrong in thinking budd was showing sympathy by leaving the flashlight. thats like saying a girl wears a short skirt because she thinks your cute, when shes only doing it to be a goddamn tease.

maybe the only way that bud could get a satisfied mind was by giving Bea a chance

"she deserves her revenge and we deserve to die."

???

[quote=“The Shepherd”]
maybe the only way that bud could get a satisfied mind was by giving Bea a chance

"she deserves her revenge and we deserve to die."

???
[/quote]
" but then again, so does she". so that rules out your argument

not necessarily, it means that Budd is torn. do you think that he’s stuck, that’s why he buries her (because he says “so does she”) but he did give her a knife (“she deserves her revenge”).

Since when did Budd put his boots on Bea.

Those wern’t his boots.

[quote=“Ringo”]
Since when did Budd put his boots on Bea.

Those wern’t his boots.
[/quote]
… indeed, those were not his … (for screenshots ==> click here)

That doesn’t prove anything. Bea’s boots are very visible in the pic of Budd standing over her after he shoots her with the rocksalt, and the pic is too dark to really tell if they’re the same boots or not.

That’s silly. Of course Budd didn’t put his boots on Bea! When she cooled down, the first thing she did was that she tried to get the knife from HER boot, because she already knew that it’s there.

Or maybe she knew that it was there because she felt it in her boot…

Well, if she knew she had the knife in her boot why did she go into so much panic if she knew that she could untie herself in a jiffy.

And if I was happy I wouldnt mind getting a million for a sword. ;D