[Vol 2] Kill Bill vol. 2 reviews here

Alright here’s a good place to post your reviews on Kill Bill vol. 2. This review is a few days old. I wrote it last Friday after getting a chance to see the film Friday morning at 12:30. It helps when your friends brother works at a movie theater. Anyway here it is. I sent this same review to Aint It Cool News and IMDB. It hasn’t been posted yet though.

I was lucky last year in that I got to see Kill Bill volume 1 weeks before it was released last year. I thought it was one of the greatest things I’ve ever seen on film and went on to see it eight times in theaters. I even chose it as the best film of 2003. Surpassing even the mighty Lord of the Rings. Something I thought would never happen. Me being a big Lord of the Rings fan.

So with such high praise for volume 1 my hopes were very high for volume 2. And it more than delivers. Where volume 1 focused more on the action and was fast paced. This one is at a slower pace and is more dialogue driven. Which is what Tarantino does best anyway. At approximately two and a half hours it is also a lot longer than the first one. Don’t worry though Kill Bill volume 2 is not without it’s share with great fight scenes and memorable new characters. The most memorable is Pei Mei the martial arts master who trained the bride and the other members of the Dead Viper Assassination Squad. Played wonderfully by Gordon Liu (who also played Johnny Mo in volume 1) Pei Mei even over shadows the mighty Hattori Hanzo played by Sonny Chiba in volume 1.

Other memorable performances come from Michael Madsen as Budd a.k.a Sidewinder and David Carradine as Bill. Madsen gives another Mr. Blonde caliber performance as the former assassin turned trailer park alcoholic. Claustrophobics take caution the confrontation between Budd and the Bride is really intense and very claustrophobic. Darryl Hannah is deliciously evil as Elle Driver. She’s about as evil as can be. What should be noted is the fight between Elle and the Bride. What is unquestionably one of the most knock down, drag out, intense fights ever put to film. Tarantino pulls no punches here. Huge credit should once again be given to the sound department on this one. You can almost feel ever blow. It is the best fight in the whole of Kill Bill.

Never seen and only heard in volume 1 we finally get to see the performance we’ve been waiting for. David Carradine is of course great in the title role. He plays the role with such a laid back ease. Both intimidating and cool. You don’t know whether to sympathize with the guy or hate him.

Those who said Uma Thurman deserved an Oscar nomination last year will probably say the same thing this year and then some. Where Thurman was praised for the intense action in volume 1, in this one she really goes all out. No longer a nameless assassin out for revenge she is now with a name (to be revealed in the film) and is now seen more as a person then a nameless killer. Not that the nameless killer thing was a bad thing. It was a great action role. This time the emotions come out. Thurman really lets herself go in the emotional scenes. Well worthy of a nomination.

So is Kill Bill volume 2 a worthy conclusion? Absolutely. Is it as action packed as volume 1? No. But that’s not a bad thing because we get more of the great Tarantino dialogue. Was there anything I found wrong with the film? Well, there was one little thing. The credits go on forever. So if your like me and you like to sit through the credits you’ve been warned. Kill Bill volume 2 will not be without it’s enemies. Those who didn’t like volume 1 will probably not enjoy this one. If you’re a fan of volume 1 then you should be more then satisfied.

Matt Putnam

April 02, 2004

[quote]Alright here’s a good place to post your reviews on Kill Bill vol. 2.

So is Kill Bill volume 2 a worthy conclusion? Absolutely. Is it as action packed as volume 1? No. But that’s not a bad thing because we get more of the great Tarantino dialogue. Was there anything I found wrong with the film?  Well, there was one little thing. The credits go on forever. So if your like me and you like to sit through the credits you’ve been warned. Kill Bill volume 2 will not be without it’s enemies. Those who didn’t like volume 1 will probably not enjoy this one. If you’re a fan of volume 1 then you should be more then satisfied.

Matt Putnam

April 02, 2004

[/quote]

The reviews coming out are sounding predictable and much like the reviews of Volume one which to me was one of the worst films i ever saw and i am not shy about admitting that.

Fine the reviews seem positive but they largely seem to be an attempt at convincing the general public who might have found Vol 1 severly flawed that this time round, you shall have less of the over board action and a deeper more intense story this time round. I am sorry but i am just not sold, a review with qualifiers like “If you didnt like the first one you wont like this one too” and other reviews talking about how you really dont need to have seen the first one to enjoy

the second, only confirm my assertion that its just continuation of the same bland story line with no depth, and an array of characters who still fail to connect with the audience. I am anxious to see this so called role of Carradines that apparently deserves a nomination for best actor (i hope you all noticed that Ebert and Roeper review only calls for a simple nomination and does not declare it as award winning.) Such things tell me that their claims are far fromt he truth like they did the last time around with Uma Thurman whose performance turned out to be not even worth mentioning in the same breath with the Academny awards. I have seen Carradine in his youth and his old age and wonder how in the world he would be able to pull off a convincing role as some ruthless murderer. Another thing that has my attention peaked is the length of the movie, 137 minutes. thats 2 hours and 17 minutes. If tarantino made the same mistake and is delivering the same mechanic characters in unconvincing roles, this movie is gonna get yanked from the theatres after less than 3 or 4 weeks. (Its just business nothing personal).

Why would any reviewer try and help get Kill Bill high reviews?

How would they benefit from desperately trying to sell Kill Bill to the crowd? It’s just a fact that Kill Bill is critically aclaimed, like it or not.

Matrixfan, you mask your ignorance with complete sentences. Don’t think that just because you can write it makes you an intelligent person.

Uma’s performance not deserving to be mentioned in the same breath as academy award? She was nominated for a friggin’ Golden Globe, which means that she’s AUTOMATICALLY a dark horse for the academy nomination. Plenty of people ‘mentioned her in the same breath’.

Bland storyline with no depth? Even for the characters? yeah… pay attention, young one. You may learn something. Watch for further reviews and box office success. Due to the lack of bloody violence in the second movie, it will make more money than the first, and let’s not forget the double features they’re planning. I wouldn’t be surprised if Kill Bill in total makes more money than the Matrix (as a ratio of original cost).

Oh… and the critics are already unanimous that Vol. 2 is amazing… something that could never be said about the matrix sequels (even though Vol. 2 clearly isn’t a sequel.)

Matrixfan has had it. He knows hes losing this battle over which franchise is better or whatever he’s going for. Hes going to grab at every last straw to win, but his BS is fading fast. Hopefully he’lll dry up and blow away for good after Volume 2 comes out and kicks everyones ass.

And all the awards and box office takes isnt why we love QTs films, we love them because QT is giving cinematic presents to his fans all over the world. Hes not interested in being the fuckin king of empty CGI filled bullshit, hes interested in telling an entertaining STORY and DIRECTING instead of COMPUTER GENERATING (Star Wars, Matrix) to get his ideas across.

“If I wanted to fuck around with this computer bullshit, Id go home and stick my dick in my Nintendo” - QT

Matrixfan,

Are you even a fan of Kill Bill? If your not then why are you posting here?

Let me ask you a question matrixfan, despite your negative outlook, do you plan on seeing this movie, even if it’s just for the sake of backing up your negative reviews?

BTW: did LOTR kill the matrix? I think so maybe that is why this jabrone comes here he can not attack a best picture winner so he goes affter a so-called bad movie and it’s fans. ::slight_smile:

Sadly matrixfan isn’t the only moron…

Posted on Comingsoon.net

Kill Bill is what the matrix should have been. Tarentino says this:

"I watched Keanu watching and I suddenly felt it,’ said Tarantino. "You know, my guys are all real. There’s no computer fucking around. I’m sick to death of all that shit. This is old school with fucking cameras. If i’d wanted all that computer game bullshit, I’d have gone home and stuck my dick in my Nintendo."

This is why i love tarentino, he knows what movies are (but he did steal some ideas)…"

Matrixfan, go to comingsoon… you’ll be among friends, and intellectual equals.

[quote]

The reviews coming out are sounding predictable and much like the reviews of Volume one which to me was one of the worst films i ever saw and i am not shy about admitting that.

Fine the reviews seem positive but they largely seem to be an attempt at convincing the general public who might have found Vol 1 severly flawed that this time round, you shall have less of the over board action and  a deeper more intense story this time round. I am sorry but i am just not sold, a review with qualifiers like “If you didnt like the first one you wont like this one too” and other reviews talking about how you really dont need to have seen the first one to enjoy

the second, only confirm my assertion that its just continuation of the same bland story line with no depth, and an array of characters who still fail to connect with the audience. I am anxious to see this so called role of Carradines that apparently deserves a nomination for best actor (i hope you all noticed that Ebert and Roeper review only calls for a simple nomination and does not declare it as award winning.) Such things tell me that their claims are far fromt he truth like they did the last time around with Uma Thurman whose performance turned out to be not even worth mentioning in the same breath with the Academny awards. I have seen Carradine in his youth and his old age and wonder how in the world he would be able to pull off a convincing role as some ruthless murderer. Another thing that has my attention peaked is the length of the movie, 137 minutes. thats 2 hours and 17 minutes. If tarantino made the same mistake and is delivering the same mechanic characters in unconvincing roles, this movie is gonna get yanked from the theatres after less than 3 or 4 weeks. (Its just business nothing personal).
[/quote]

Dude, you’re a matrix fan.  You really don’t have any right to call Kill Bill crap. Just because Kill Bill was the more liked action movie of 2003 doesn’t mean you have to attack it. ÂÂ

Yeah, and at least Kill Bill got Golden Globe nominations. What did the Matrix get?

[quote]

Fine the reviews seem positive but they largely seem to be an attempt at convincing the general public who might have found Vol 1 severly flawed that this time round, you shall have less of the over board action and  a deeper more intense story this time round. I am sorry but i am just not sold, a review with qualifiers like “If you didnt like the first one you wont like this one too” and other reviews talking about how you really dont need to have seen the first one to enjoy

[/quote]

Fuck you and your Matrix.

matrix fan i think you should vist these sites. as they are as horable and anoying as the matrix.(Yes i cant spell)

http://www.wutyousay.com

http://redmonkey7.com/lue/cccccombobreaker.htm

http://www.badgerbadgerbadger.com/

http://www.limecat.net/

There you go. enjoy.

There is a new review at the Rolling Stone Magazine website:

www.rollingstone.com

The film is getting nothing but glowing reviews and deservedly so. I got a feeling your going to see some critics who gave Volume 1 not so great reviews look at volume 2 and do a complete turnaround on Volume 1.

[quote]

[/quote]

Come on nigga, why are you doing this to yourself?

http://channel4.com/film/reviews/film.jsp?id=129857

a bad review. taken from the other topic

I tend to agree with this review actually. Vol.2 has almost nothing to do with vol.1’s style. It’s not very action-packed and this will probably dissapoint the ones who liked vol.1 for that specific reason. I got that feeling from the trailer too. But this shouldn’t be a reason for saying that a movie sucks. I personally not like the fact that vol.2 is more dialogue-driven and I will always prefer vol.1, but if the dialogue is good and witty, then I won’t have any problem with it at all. You can’t really compare the 2 volumes. Each one is a completely different movie and I think that spliting KILL BILL in half was a very wise action indeed

Thats it Seb! Stoke up that negative Tarantino review fire a lil bit for us! lol. We need that right now.

I just read all of the Vol 2 reviews at AICN and almost every one says that Volume 2 is much more dialogue driven than Volume 1. So if people are expecting non stop ass kicking for 2 hours you WILL be dissapointed I think. But if you want to find out more about Bill and The Bride (and Elle and Budd etc) and her motivations for doing what shes doing and some backstory (which is definitely necessary to complete the Kill Bill story) then you should love it.