Quentin Tarantino - Under The Influence with Elvis Mitchell

Sorry it took me so long to get this up here. Took me a lot of time to figure out how to rip a .tivo file. This is uploaded to Youtube in 3 segments, a total of about 30 minutes.

Check out what QT said was one of the first movies that scared him! (Happens be an upcoming remake)

(well it looks like can’t flash embed so just click the link to my Youtube playlist)

<LINK_TEXT text=“http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p … 14E621970A”>http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=10FC3C14E621970A</LINK_TEXT>

Thanks a lot ! I’ll add it to the wiki on the QT favorites page.

Coolio.

Did anyone notice that QT says “Hardy Girls” instead of “Harvey Girls” - the Judy Garland flick.

I saw Harvey Girls a long time ago on TCM, I really liked it. Thing is I’m not over Judy Garland - I know, she’s an icon to all the queens, but there’s just something about her that I haven’t seen in any other actress. She had a pretty rough life as you all may know, and I think if there ever is a Judy Garland film Anne Hathaway would be the right person to play her.

Part 3 - 4:35.

hahaha, That’s exactly what I was thinking when watching the girls of Death Proof talking and making references.

[quote=“Kinick”]
Part 3 - 4:35.

hahaha, That’s exactly what I was thinking when watching the girls of Death Proof talking and making references.
[/quote]

Sad, but true :-</E>

Are you talking about Jungle Julia with the music, or Zoe and Traci talking about those car films in the diner?

don’t let real life ruin your movie expierience folks. Real girls may not be like that or know all that pop culture stuff, but the girls in Death Proof did, and that’s all I need. I’m sure you two have heard of “suspension of disbelief”?

Death Proof is probably not the best example for this, but anyway…

I agree with Quentin 100% on the whole melodrama issue. It’s sad that people today are such cynical bastards who don’t want to see full-blown melodrama, they want to be assholes and make fun of everything, instead of feeling.

"we have un-sophisticated ourself out of some of the pleasures of movies"

RIGHT ON.

[quote=“Crazy Kenneth”]
don’t let real life ruin your movie expierience folks. Real girls may not be like that or know all that pop culture stuff, but the girls in Death Prood did, and that’s all I need. I’m sure you two have heard of “suspension of disbelief”?

[/quote]

Uh… it’s exactly what Quentin was referring to in that interview, about what he didn’t like or annoyed or whatever. Go tell him that.

Yeah well I can’t reach him atm, but you I can tell. :wink:

[quote=“Crazy Kenneth”]
don’t let real life ruin your movie expierience folks. Real girls may not be like that or know all that pop culture stuff, but the girls in Death Proof did, and that’s all I need. I’m sure you two have heard of “suspension of disbelief”?

I agree with Quentin 100% on the whole melodrama issue. It’s sad that people today are such cynical bastards who don’t want to see full-blown melodrama, they want to be assholes and make fun of everything, instead of feeling.

"we have un-sophisticated ourself out of some of the pleasures of movies"

RIGHT ON.
[/quote]

i think the wrestler has all the elements of a good melodrama… the ram has more than a few things in common with the character played by robert stack in tarnished angels…

i like what he said about almodovar too. but my opinion is that it took almodovar 20 yrs before he could make a serious melodrama, the kind of films he really wanted to make in the first place. before Speak with her, all his films had elements of humour, they were reflexive, and some of them were almost parodies. in a way, he had to educate his audience with each film. at first, most people loved him for his over the top comedies and little by little, he became more and more serious. and with Speak with her (his masterpiece imo) he was in a position to make an over the top but super serious melodrama, without getting any bad laugh.

Did anyone here know that Vincent Minelli was gay?

I found out last night when I was watching a TCM bio. Apparently Judy caught her husband shagging with another dude and then she slit her wrist with a shard of broken glass. Now that’s fucked up.

[quote=“BioBasterd”]
Did anyone here know that Vincent Minelli was gay?

I found out last night when I was watching a TCM bio. Apparently Judy caught her husband shagging with another dude and then she slit her wrist with a shard of broken glass. Now that’s fucked up.
[/quote]

I think all but one of her husbands were gay. Judy Garland was a strong gay icon.

Not with her films, her music in Vegas started that crap. You should see “A Star Is Born” and “Judgement At Nuremberg”. Great acting in those.

she is hysterically funny in her segment of Ziegfield Follies… Love Minelli too, the Bells are ringing is the best dean martin comedy ever…

<LINK_TEXT text=“- YouTube … annel_page”>Mickey Rooney talks about Judy Garland - YouTube</LINK_TEXT>

They played this interview on Turner Classics with Robert Osbourne, it was like a segment for her films and it just got to me, she made like 10 films under MGM without stopping and she was only 12 years old when she signed a 7 year contract with MGM. Pretty depressing stuff, because all her life she was addicted to the pills they gave her.

This segment they talked about Mickey Rooney and Judy.

she had a sad life that’s for sure… if you like judy garland, don’t read Hollywood Babylone, the chapter about her, as well as the pictures they used, is horribly depressing…

I didn’t know about that “once, a Hanzo Sword is sheathed, it has to drink blood”, so when Elle Driver doesn’t do that, it works against her. Oh man, I’d really love it if QT wrote a book of trivia about all his films one day. That would be one hell of a read.