QT on Turner Classic Movies

On June 28, 2208, director Quentin Tarantino will be interviewed by noted film critic Elvis Mitchell on his new Turner Classic Movie show, Elvis Mitchell: Under The Influence.

Elvis will also interview Sydney Pollack (his last interview), Bill Murray and Laurence Fishburne. There will be 4 more interviews later in the year. I couldn’t figure out how to embed the video, but I’ll definately TIVO it when it debuts. I’m working on getting the Sydney Pollack episode online.

July 28, 2008 on Turner Classic Movies at 8:30 pm/ET. You can see a few clips on the link below.

http://www.tcm.com/2008/elvismitchell/index.jsp

Quentin on Caring

<LINK_TEXT text=“http://www.tcm.com/mediaroom/index/?o_c … cid=204749”>http://www.tcm.com/mediaroom/index/?o_cid=mediaroomlink&cid=204749</LINK_TEXT>

interesting! thanks for posting

I watched the first one last night with Sydney Pollack. Cool show but its so short. Its only half and hour long.

[quote=“PutneySwope”]
I watched the first one last night with Sydney Pollack. Cool show but its so short. Its only half and hour long.
[/quote]

I know! That’s what really sucked about it. I do wish it was at least an hour, but what can you do? Hopefully if its successful they will extend the time. I had a friend to was invited to the QT session and enjoyed it.

woops. Damn you! This is what I get for not posting in a long time. I just got through watching the bad and the beautiful.

Mods take down my other topic.

QTs movie pick is The Marrying Kind starring ALDO RAY :slight_smile:

[quote=“Biohazard”]
woops. Damn you! This is what I get for not posting in a long time. I just got through watching the bad and the beautiful.

Mods take down my other topic.
[/quote]

I locked your other topic. Can you delete it, Seb ?

Great show. QT and Elvis were really talking movie geek style as you’d expect.

QTs first movie that scared him: Last House on The Left

Random Movie related names mentioned: Douglas Sirk, Judy Garland, Aldo Ray, Ralph Meeker, Cary Grant, John Sturges, Vincent Minnelli, Scorsese, His Girl Friday, The Marrying Kind, Raiders of the Lost Ark.

One thing people who love Kill Bill should know is that QT created alot more background mythology than we’ll ever know about. For instance, he said that once a Hanzo sword is taken out of its sheath, it must get some blood on it or a curse is placed on the person who is handling it. So that means you’d have to nick your thumb on it either/or slice someone up with it before you can put it back in its holder.

I can’t believe he’s not a John Huston fan! By the way John Huston once said: “Casting is the most important element in directing.” PT Anderson also comes from that same school.

By the way I love Judy Garland in The Wizard Of Oz and The Harvey Girls: when she goes inside the opposing cabaret with those two magnums when she’s recovering the meat. Fucking great.

Great interview.

[quote=“PutneySwope”]
Great show. QT and Elvis were really talking movie geek style as you’d expect.

QTs first movie that scared him: Last House on The Left

Random Movie related names mentioned: Douglas Sirk, Judy Garland, Aldo Ray, Ralph Meeker, Cary Grant, John Sturges, Vincent Minnelli, Scorsese, His Girl Friday, The Marrying Kind, Raiders of the Lost Ark.

One thing people who love Kill Bill should know is that QT created alot more background mythology than we’ll ever know about. For instance, he said that once a Hanzo sword is taken out of its sheath, it must get some blood on it or a curse is placed on the person who is handling it. So that means you’d have to nick your thumb on it either/or slice someone up with it before you can put it back in its holder.

[/quote]

I like the subtext that QT revealed when Budd sees Elle. “Stupid bitch”. Ha!

Hey where the fuck is everybody? Every time I get on there’s no one around to talk to.

[quote=“Biohazard”]
I can’t believe he’s not a John Huston fan!
[/quote]

I was shocked at this too. But since Hawks and Huston often worked in different genres, it’s no surprise that he would perfer Hawks.

[quote=“PutneySwope”]
[/quote]

Forgot Pedro Almodovar. He doesn’t seem to get mentioned a lot at this forum, but QT is a BIG Almodovar fan.

The Kill Bill factoid is proof that QT HAS to eventually do a commentary for that movie…Or any other movie of his. >:(

I really loved the Jimmy Fallon diss. :smiley:

I stayed up and watched Meet Me In St. Louis and Paper Moon.

I loved Meet Me In St. Louis, the halloween sequence was very well shot and all. Great story too - they don’t make em like they used to. It’s a feel good movie, a little gay but cool nonetheless.

Sometimes when QT says he doesnt like certain classic directors like Huston and Hitchcock, I think its almost like a competitive thing he has towards them. Those guys were great. Like Woody Allen has the same reaction to Charlie Chaplin. Which is funny to me.

I love Paper Moon, one of my favorite movies. I havent watched Meet Me in St Louis.

Douglas Sirk: After I heard his name come up in Pulp Fiction I watched Magnificent Obsession, Written on The Wind, Imitation of Life. Such beautiful, entertaining 50s melodramas. Been a fan ever since.

Pedro Almodovar: Oops, Forgot him. Ive seen a couple of his films, Tie Me Up, Tie Me Down and another one. Cant say Im a big fan.

I still dont think QT will ever do any commentaries on his own movies unless he changes his philosophy about giving up all the info and background on his ideas. I wouldnt mind having just a critic, cast and crew do a commentary track as opposed to nothing at all.

About Almodovar, did you see High Heels (aka Tacones lejanos), All About My Mother (aka Todo sobre mi madre), or Volver? I love those ones =)

Nope. Havent seen those.

I don’t know if you’d like them but I think they’re really good. However I haven’t seen all of Almodovar’s flicks.

Didn’t know Tarantino loved him by the way, cool!

Any way to get a hold of this interview?

Not sure if the whole thing is online yet, but you can see a couple clips from the show here:

http://www.tcm.com/2008/elvismitchell/index.jsp

I watched the show at 8 p.m. and then I watched and recorded it at 10:30. I wanted to watch Meet Me in Saint Louis, but I was being a good uncle and let my niece watch Hannah effin Montana. I watched the Lawrence Fishburn one last weekend and it seemed long with no commercials. When I watched Tarantino’s it flew by so fast, there was not a millisecond of dead air between Mitchell and Tarantino.

interesting three 3 clips. I hope they make the whole conversation available some time. How long is that show?