Something Weird Video

Alright, time to ask a surprising question. Am I the only guy here who owns a DVD from Something Weird Video?

I’ve just been going through all the titles at The Deuce and noticed that many essential classics distributed by SWV have still yet to appear. And while there’s all the bickering going on at the main thread on what a Grindhouse movie is, there’s NO QUESTION that a movie released from SWV qualifies!

Now I understand that it can be a tough task to track these DVDs down. I’m quite certain that Blockbuster/Hollywood Video doesn’t stack any of them for your rental-viewing, but that’s where Netflix comes in. If you’ve got a Netflix account, start adding to the cart! They’ve got a gang of titles to choose from.

And for you guys overseas, I honestly don’t know if SWV DVDs can be found over there, but if you’re up for some blind-buying, do some shopping at Amazon.

Now before I give the rundown on the movies that I’ve watched. I want to talk about the special features found on their DVDs. You will never find a traditional “Making of” or “Behind The Scenes” featurettes of these movies, but what you’ll find instead are vintage bizzarre short films, funky documentaries (Which often have somewhat of a “Tie-In” with the feature film), Kickass trailers for other movies, and Movie-Poster galleries with radio spots and audio trailers playing in the background. Can’t get cooler than that! So it comes as no surprise that even if the movie sucks, the extras tend to be better.

(New post just in case I ran out of room)

Here’s what I’ve watched so far:

Blood Feast-Classic

Two Thousand Maniacs!-Liked it, but didn’t love it

Blood Suckers/Blood Thirst-Thought both of these movies were duds, but the “Drive-In” extras made up for it

The Godson/Below The Belt-Already reviewed Godson at Deuce, but I actually thought BTB was better. Might review it soon

Trader Hornee-Not my type of humor, but it’s got a good commentary

Confessions of a Psycho Cat-Interesting movie about a crazy gal who hunts and kills men for sport. Plenty of sex scenes were later added in to advertise the movie as a Roughie)

Asylum of Satan / Satan’s Children-“Asylum” was okay (With some laughable “Devil” effects) but Satan’s Children was one of the weirdest pieces of shit you’ll ever see!

Night of the Bloody Apes / Feast of Flesh-Thanks, Pete for adding this one in, but do you own the SWV version? Because this movie also appears on another DVD company

Evil Come Evil Go / Terror at Orgy Castle / The Hand of Pleasure-ECEG was kinda interesting…Til the WTF? ending showed up. “Orgy Castle” was just some crummy silent 16mm flick, but it lived up to it’s title. I think “Hand/Pleasure” is the first British sexploitation flick I’ve ever seen. A strange one at that!

Satan in High Heels-Had high hopes for it, but it turned out to be dull. Don’t remember if I ever finished it.

Blood Freak-Classic! Review’s up

Country Cuzzins/ Midnight Plowboy-Liked “Plowboy” a little bit better

The Gore Gore Girls-Didn’t like it as much as everyone else did, but yeah, some real creative kill scenes to be found.

A Scream in the Streets-Heh, I kinda liked this one. Nice blend of sex and action with transvestite serial-killer! This DVD also has a cool featurette of a visit to producer Harry Novak’s studio. Watch out when he pulls his guns out!

Godmonster of Indian Flats-Awful strange one. Pantsman actually did an ellaborate review on this movie at his old VC board (Which is getting a re-birth, by the way)

Wham Bam Thank You, Spaceman-Liked the 1st and last acts, got boring in the middle.

The Zodiac Killer / The Sex Killer / Zero In and Scream-Didn’t get to finish Zodiac, but the other 2 were definetly on some bugged out shit!

Alice in Acidland / Smoke and Flesh-Alice was a big letdown, S&F was slightly better by having somewhat of a plot. Interestingly, Scarface did a review for Neon Maniacs on the site, which was the only other movie the director of S&F made! BTW, there’s a fantastic “Aphrodisiac” documentary on this DVD.

The Ultimate Degenerate / The Lusting Hours / In Hot Blood-“Degenerate” starts out as a usual skin flick, but turns into a wild Roughie near the end. “Hot Blood” is another Roughie, but real short. “Lusting” was like a documentary, but nothing too memorable.

Street of a Thousand Pleasures/Way Out Topless-“Street” is really becoming a favorite of mine. Not a good “movie” of course, but the eye candy just NEVER lets up! And “Topless” is actually a pretty good shockumentary about vintage stripping.

So come on guys, join the club! Doesn’t it sound like fun? 8)

[quote=“Laydback”]
Godmonster of Indian Flats-Awful strange one. Pantsman actually did an ellaborate review on this movie at his old VC board (Which is getting a re-birth, by the way)
[/quote]I’ve seen some awful flicks in my time, but yeah, I consider Godmonster one of the worst. It is absolutely insane, but at the same time… I still love it :-[ And yup, VC is coming back ya’ll, keep an eye out :wink:

[quote=“Laydback”]

Now I understand that it can be a tough task to track these DVDs down. I’m quite certain that Blockbuster/Hollywood Video doesn’t stack any of them for your rental-viewing, but that’s where Netflix comes in. If you’ve got a Netflix account, start adding to the cart! They’ve got a gang of titles to choose from.

And for you guys overseas, I honestly don’t know if SWV DVDs can be found over there, but if you’re up for some blind-buying, do some shopping at Amazon.

[/quote]

Or you could use Greencine(which I haven’t used yet btw)

http://www.greencine.com/genre

[quote=“Laydback”]

Blood Feast-Classic

[/quote]
I’ve never watched an SWV dvd before but I plan on getting all of the Gordon movies.

[quote=“Laydback”]
Alright, time to ask a surprising question. Am I the only guy here who owns a DVD from Something Weird Video?

I’ve just been going through all the titles at The Deuce and noticed that many essential classics distributed by SWV have still yet to appear. And while there’s all the bickering going on at the main thread on what a Grindhouse movie is, there’s NO QUESTION that a movie released from SWV qualifies!

Now before I give the rundown on the movies that I’ve watched. I want to talk about the special features found on their DVDs. You will never find a traditional “Making of” or “Behind The Scenes” featurettes of these movies, but what you’ll find instead are vintage bizzarre short films, funky documentaries (Which often have somewhat of a “Tie-In” with the feature film), Kickass trailers for other movies, and Movie-Poster galleries with radio spots and audio trailers playing in the background. Can’t get cooler than that! So it comes as no surprise that even if the movie sucks, the extras tend to be better.
[/quote]

I’ve seen them! I’ve got a video store near me in Chicago that rents them out. They are the Video Strip. Check them out at www.thevideostrip.com They’ve been carrying non-mainstream stuff for awhile and they rent out these out for $2 for 7 days. So if anyone is in Chicago and looking to try these out stop by. Something Weird Video is great.

There is also a DVD out there where they have 100 trailers of their movies all put together. That alone was interesting. I rented the trailer dvd and have been hooked since!

[quote=“Laydback”]

Blood Feast-Classic

Blood Suckers/Blood Thirst-Thought both of these movies were duds, but the “Drive-In” extras made up for it

The Godson/Below The Belt-Already reviewed Godson at Deuce, but I actually thought BTB was better. Might review it soon

Confessions of a Psycho Cat-Interesting movie about a crazy gal who hunts and kills men for sport. Plenty of sex scenes were later added in to advertise the movie as a Roughie)

Asylum of Satan / Satan’s Children-“Asylum” was okay (With some laughable “Devil” effects) but Satan’s Children was one of the weirdest pieces of shit you’ll ever see!

Night of the Bloody Apes / Feast of Flesh-Thanks, Pete for adding this one in, but do you own the SWV version? Because this movie also appears on another DVD company

Evil Come Evil Go / Terror at Orgy Castle / The Hand of Pleasure-ECEG was kinda interesting…Til the WTF? ending showed up. “Orgy Castle” was just some crummy silent 16mm flick, but it lived up to it’s title. I think “Hand/Pleasure” is the first British sexploitation flick I’ve ever seen. A strange one at that!

Satan in High Heels-Had high hopes for it, but it turned out to be dull. Don’t remember if I ever finished it.

The Gore Gore Girls-Didn’t like it as much as everyone else did, but yeah, some real creative kill scenes to be found.

A Scream in the Streets-Heh, I kinda liked this one. Nice blend of sex and action with transvestite serial-killer! This DVD also has a cool featurette of a visit to producer Harry Novak’s studio. Watch out when he pulls his guns out!

Wham Bam Thank You, Spaceman-Liked the 1st and last acts, got boring in the middle.

The Zodiac Killer / The Sex Killer / Zero In and Scream-Didn’t get to finish Zodiac, but the other 2 were definetly on some bugged out shit!

Alice in Acidland / Smoke and Flesh-Alice was a big letdown, S&F was slightly better by having somewhat of a plot. Interestingly, Scarface did a review for Neon Maniacs on the site, which was the only other movie the director of S&F made! BTW, there’s a fantastic “Aphrodisiac” documentary on this DVD.

The Ultimate Degenerate / The Lusting Hours / In Hot Blood-“Degenerate” starts out as a usual skin flick, but turns into a wild Roughie near the end. “Hot Blood” is another Roughie, but real short. “Lusting” was like a documentary, but nothing too memorable.

Street of a Thousand Pleasures/Way Out Topless-“Street” is really becoming a favorite of mine. Not a good “movie” of course, but the eye candy just NEVER lets up! And “Topless” is actually a pretty good shockumentary about vintage stripping.

[/quote]

Strangely enough, I havent seen many SWV films. I dont know why, I just havent gotten around to buying some yet. Ill def try to get a few to see how they are. I guess for now you’ll be the SWV guru on the new site. Whichever ones you want to review is cool! Im interested in hearing more about them!

[quote=“Laydback”]

Blood Feast-Classic

[/quote]

You haven’t seen Murder a la Mod?

Of course you can’t forget about “I Drink Your Blood”!

Blood Freak is great of course, but I was a little disapointed with 2000 Maniacs. -Damn misleading trailers! :wink:

Haven’t seen any of the others, but it’s now on my “to do” list.

I also want to see deadly Weapons/Double Agent 73 :slight_smile: