Abandoning DVD?

I am a big fan of dvd and I own a pretty amount of dvds, but there is a new generation coming…

Are you guys gonna switch to a new medium or stick to dvd?

I will only buy movies I have on DVD in blu ray or HD-DVD if there are really a lot of cool new extras on it that I want…

Ok, I will probably buy all the QT related stuff, because well, its soooo necessary :stuck_out_tongue:

Depends on the actual quality difference between DVD and HD/Blue Ray. From what I can gather the difference is quite minimal. I mean, it’s certainly not as drastic as the VHS-DVD comparison. I’m gonna stick with DVD for a while until 1.) these new players become more affordable 2.) the war between the two formats is settled 3.) dvds become obselete.

Probably gonna stick to dvd for the next 10 years or so. HD/Blue Ray so new that they’re just gonna release some recent piece of shit movies + maybe a couple of good ones in the following years. It’s gonna take at least five years before they start releasing anything interesting.

DVD has been around for how long… at least 10 years… and there’s still shitloads of great movies that have never been released on dvd.

I am 32 years old. When I was a kid CD’s had just come out and only a handful were available. There was actually a catalogue you had to buy which had an index of albums available on compact disc. To add to the frustration, in 1985, a compact disc cost about $20.00. This will probably be the same for a while. I will buy an HD television five years from now and laugh at those who paid thousands for one today.

I got an HD TV and it wasn’t that expensive, I haven’t so much money to put in it, and it was the sales and all.

But I’ll stick with the DVDs for a while cause as you said perfectly, HD/Blue Ray will be still very expensive for a while, there won’t be any good catalogue with movies, which aren’t already in DVDs, and the comparaison between DVDs and HD/Blue Ray isn’t that obvious, then let’s go on with the normal life and keep have more and more DVDs :wink:

Hehe, I still buy vhs’s if they’re cheap so I’m not even thinking about getting hd/blue ray soon. We have a HD tv, but I still don’t see the point of it.

Oh I clearly see the difference between a HD TV and a normal TV. Of course you can’t see it with VHS ;D Ahah I’ve never bought VHS, I always reccord movies.

[quote=“cyber-lili”]
Oh I clearly see the difference between a HD TV and a normal TV. Of course you can’t see it with VHS ;D Ahah I’ve never bought VHS, I always reccord movies.
[/quote]
Well, do you have HD-channels in France? Because we don’t have any here in Sweden so there’s no way I could see the difference.

And I don’t watch vhs’s on our HD tv, I watch them on my 20 years old tv. I havent even thought about getting one of those slim ones, I see no need to do. Mine works better than all those new ones and if i should break it, noone would care.

[quote=“thecrazy88”]
Well, do you have HD-channels in France? Because we don’t have any here in Sweden so there’s no way I could see the difference.
[/quote]

Yep we got the 1st six channels, the only ones free, on HD. 8)

[quote=“cyber-lili”]
Yep we got the 1st six channels, the only ones free, on HD. 8)
[/quote]
We have some movie channels that we got, and they have one channel that shows in HD but we can’t get it to our apartment building. Cheap bastards.

Anyway, dunno if I made it seem the other way but I do see the difference between vhs and dvd of course.

If you have HDTV the broadcast of football games (real football - not soccer) is shown with different camera angles - a great reason to have HDTV. It looks as if you are a member of the team on the field instead of some schmuck in the nose-bleed section. Other than that, I can’t justify buying one just yet.

Dvd looks good enough for me. It more about the tv than the disc and my tv sucks. You go to a tv store and you see 30 different looks for the same movie. If this shit was so great they would all look the same, and look perfect. ???

[quote=“Scarface”]
[…] I’m gonna stick with DVD for a while until 1.) these new players become more affordable 2.) the war between the two formats is settled 3.) dvds become obselete.
[/quote]

Word to that, my friend.

As soon as I get a HD-DVD player, I’m switching.

Of course special features are a big thing too. I may just keep my DVDs if the special features are better, but reguardless I’m switching.

I can’t wait to watch Pulp Fiction in HD!

Question! Do HD-DVD players play regular DVDs?

Well since the PS3 will be BlueRay I guess I might buy em if they have better features, but I already got over 300 dvd’s in the package and I don’t want to have yet another rack of a different format of film.

when I heard about blu-ray, I gathered all my 400 of my DVD’s and threw them into a bonfire in a fit of joy

…I shouldnt have done that.

now i’m fucked

[quote=“Joseph”]
when I heard about blu-ray, I gathered all my 400 of my DVD’s and threw them into a bonfire in a fit of joy

…I shouldnt have done that.

now i’m fucked
[/quote]

in my basement. TROLL

I cant keep up with all this new technology malarky! lol, im sticking to DVDs unless HD-DVD becomes cheaper , plus i imagine DVDs will be alot cheaper seeing as there is new media technologys on the market to replace them.DVDs are good enough for me anyway!- its the movie im paying to see anyway without the fancy bonus’s :stuck_out_tongue: But hey thats prob just me lol ;D

[quote=“Becky”]
plus i imagine DVDs will be alot cheaper seeing as there is new media technologys on the market to replace them.[/quote]

fucking aye! take advantage! i still buy VHS from time to time, why? it costs fuck all! as good as nothing