Shaw Brothers Dvd

I’m wondering if any of the Shaw Brothers movies are released on dvd in the US or UK.

I’ve only seen one Shaw movie this far…and loved it.The movie was Five Deadly Venoms.

If anyone has info about Shaw Dvds please make a post!

hkflix.com lets you import the Region 3 Hong kong dvds of those shaw brothers special editions.

i dont know when they’re coming out in the US or UK

Lots can be found in US stores. (Bare Bones though)

I’ve got:

Chinese Super Ninja (A Must Have!)

Five Fingers of Death

Five Deadly Venoms

Snake in Eagle’s Shadow

Iron Man

(The Original) Flying Guillotine

Eight Diagram Pole Fighter

Mighty Peking Man (Through Rolling Thunder)

Ten Tigers from Kwangtung

Master Killer aka 36th Chamber of Shaolin

My wish list:

Executioners from Shaolin

Fists of White Lotus

Challenge of the ninja

Dirty Ho

Masked Avengers

One-Armed Swordsman/Return of the One-Armed Swordsman

Crippled Avengers

If you cant find most of those in stores, try kungfumovies.net

I ordered a few rare ones from there.

Thanks for the info!

I will try to order some of these dvds.

I think in time I want every single one!

but laydback, i think we were talking about the announced re-issues of the complete shaw catalogue, not just any shaw dvds.

just checking

I just closed a double topic with the same name.

There someone asked:

When in the hell are the shaw brothers dvds gonna come out.  I know they were once out, for example shaolin master killer, but i cant find it in stock, same for executioners from shoalin and others.  Does anyone know when these are comin out on region one dvd?  Thanks.

Would be nice if someone give him an answer. Thanx

edit:

I just found out that we have 4 topics about Shaw brother. I let 2 open. This one and

<LINK_TEXT text=“http://tarantino.webds.de/cgi-bin/taran … start=0#18”>http://tarantino.webds.de/cgi-bin/tarantino/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=ot;action=display;num=1065606124;start=0#18</LINK_TEXT>

The rest is closed

thanx

Here’s some basic info abot Shaw Bros. dvds

Hong Kong

Hong Kong dvds are released by Celestial. Almost all of them are anamorphic. The picture quality is very good, and all releases feature english subs (with more or less spelling errors). Releases used to come in a slipcase, but not anymore. The problem with Celestial is that they are remixing all soundtracks. Usually it means that birds and other background sound effects (wind, rain, thunder…) have been added to “silent” scenes. Sometimes some of the sound effects have been re-recorded. It’s irritaing even when it is done well (Heroes of the East) and nearly unbearable when it is done badly (Clan of the White Lotus). The Chinese Boxer is probably the worst dvd Celestial has releases. It even features new music on the soundtrack. Some of the Hong Kong vcds have original mono soundtrack with no new sound effects added.

Thailand

These dvds use the same transfer and soundtracks as Celestial dvds. Thai dub is usually added, and there are not as many extras as in Celestial releases.

France

French Shaw Bros. dvds are released by Wide Side Video. DVDs are anamorphic, and usually feature the original mono track with no new sound effects. Not always though. These dvds sometimes have better extras than Celestial dvds. The transfers are also sometimes better quality. No english subs

Australia

Australian dvds are usually non-anamorphic, but feature original mono tracks. Image quality is fine.

U.K

The British dvds released by Optimum are usually non-anamorhic, but should feature orginal mono track. I’m not 100% sure, though. Image quality is fine.

Germany

German dvds are released by M.I.B. They are usually non-anamorphic, but the transfer is often better than Celestials version. These dvds feature original mono track. English subtitles are included at least sometimes, possibly always.

USA

Old US dvds are unauthorized releases. They are also very bad quality. Official dvds are on their way. Image Entertainment has bought rights to 30 titles. Unfortunately those idiots at Miramax own rights to many of the biggest classics.

[quote=“Hung Fist”]
USA

Old US dvds are unauthorized releases. They are also very bad quality. Official dvds are on their way. Image Entertainment has bought rights to 30 titles. Unfortunately those idiots at Miramax own rights to many of the biggest classics.
[/quote]

A tragedy. But at least they didn’t get their hands on Killer Snakes! ;D

Okay, I’m through with IVL/Celestial. I’m selling all my IVL SB dvds, and I’m not gonna buy any of their releases anymore. Watching the German bird-free Return to the 36th Chamber was a heavenly experience. Never has silence sounded so great before…

[quote=“Hung Fist”]
Okay, I’m through with IVL/Celestial. I’m selling all my IVL SB dvds, and I’m not gonna buy any of their releases anymore. Watching the German bird-free Return to the 36th Chamber was a heavenly experience. Never has silence sounded so great before…
[/quote]

I understand the msg, but u r still joking, rite ?

There are at most 90 german releases planned. And you sure won’t get 90 classics. Whats with rest, missing just of some birds ?

I’m not joking. I just sold The 8 Diagram Pole Fighter, Executioners From Shaolin, 36th Chamber of Shaolin, Invincible Shaolin, The Avenging Eagle, Heroes of the East and Martial Arts of Shaolin. I still need to find buyers for Boxer From Shantung, Anonymous Heroes and Clan of the White Lotus.

I already own the german dvds for Vengeance and 36th Chamber trilogy. I have the french 8 Diagram Pole Fighter on order, and I will place orders for the french Executioners From Shaolin and Boxer From Shantung today.

I know I’ll be missing some good films, but it doesn’t really matter. Most great SB films get french, german, australian or british releases at some point. Besides, my shopping list has more than 120 non-shaw dvds on it, so I’ll have plenty of films to buy even if I miss a couple of Shaws…

oh, yeah, you’ve a written shopping list ? and you’ll stick on that ?

if so, may i see ? just curious…

i don’t do that, would have the same proportion, equivalent to a never-ending story…

Well, I finally had my encounter with the new Shaw Bros DVDs courtesy of Image. 1975’s Black Magic was my first pick.

And even though I found the movie quite entertaining, the PAL to NTSC conversion on this disc was horrendous. Some MAJOR blurring and artifacting going on whenever the camera had to pan and zoom (And knowing your old school Chinese flicks, this happens a LOT)

Has anybody else checked out any of these other R1’s out to see if they had the same problems?

I heard something about it but didn’t bother to read further

<LINK_TEXT text=“http://adg.invisionzone.com/index.php?s … lack+magic”>http://adg.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=1365&hl=black+magic</LINK_TEXT>

_______________________________________________________________________________________

The Nordic Shaw’s (sourced from The Netherlands as far as I know) feature the original mono tracks (as well as remixes in case someone wants them). Transfers are a mixed bag. Come Drink with Me was good though a bit soft but Shaolin Temple was bloody awful. I think the average bitrate was somewhere around 3 and it shows. You can search for reviews: http://www.dvd.nl

Don’t rely on their reviews though, they don’t know what they’re talking about, only look at the screencaptures (click for full size) and judge yourself.

Come Drink With Me (click for bigger image)

Shaolin Temple (click for bigger image)

I havent got any of the new US Image DVDs yet. From the sound of it, they are pretty junky. I’m very happy with the Region 3 releases from Celestial though. They really look and sound incredible.

I LOVE The Chinese Boxer, its my all time favorite kung fu film. I didnt know that the score had been redone at first because I hadnt seen the film before I bought the new Celestial release. I wouldnt even care if it had a modern techno soundtrack, thats how much I love it. :slight_smile:

[quote=“Hung Fist”]
I heard something about it but didn’t bother to read further

<LINK_TEXT text=“http://adg.invisionzone.com/index.php?s … lack+magic”>http://adg.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=1365&hl=black+magic</LINK_TEXT>
[/quote]

Good to know that the error was being dealt with. I asked the same question at Dvdtalk and the guy who wrote the linear notes to Black Magic said that if you bought the disc, you can send it in for a corrected version. And as others have said, Super Inframan is reportedly fine.

[quote=“Hung Fist”]
I’m not joking. I just sold The 8 Diagram Pole Fighter, Executioners From Shaolin, 36th Chamber of Shaolin, Invincible Shaolin, The Avenging Eagle, Heroes of the East and Martial Arts of Shaolin. I still need to find buyers for Boxer From Shantung, Anonymous Heroes and Clan of the White Lotus.

I already own the german dvds for Vengeance and 36th Chamber trilogy. I have the french 8 Diagram Pole Fighter on order, and I will place orders for the french Executioners From Shaolin and Boxer From Shantung today.

I know I’ll be missing some good films, but it doesn’t really matter. Most great SB films get french, german, australian or british releases at some point. Besides, my shopping list has more than 120 non-shaw dvds on it, so I’ll have plenty of films to buy even if I miss a couple of Shaws…
[/quote]

So is the picture quality on your german dvds as good as the celestial? What region are they? What about the sound track, does it have the orginal language with english subtitles? If so were can you by these DVD’s? thanks!

[quote=“FiveFingerDeath”]
So is the picture quality on your german dvds as good as the celestial? What region are they? What about the sound track, does it have the orginal language with english subtitles? If so were can you by these DVD’s? thanks!
[/quote]

German dvds should all be mono but some are non-anamorpic. I believe they all come with english subs.

French dvds are generally the best. They’re original mono (with a few exceptions), anamorpic and generally better quality than Celestials. They’re also progressive (unlike Celestials) and native PAL (Celestials are PAL to NTSC conversions). Some of the french dvds have additional extras. Only french subtitles are available.

European dvds are Region 2 of course.

that’s about what I know. My Shaw fandom started out well but died when all my money started going to 70’s japanese films. So right now I don’t know exactly what I’m talking about. I only have half dozen Shaws at the moment and I’ve been waiting Dragon Dynasty releases to see how they compare. These two links might offers you some info on Shaw dvds:

http://adg.invisionzone.com

http://www.dvd-basen.dk/uk/home.php3?soeg=all&mvis=ok

for buying I recommed

http://www.amazon.de

http://www.amazon.fr

http://www.asia-diffusion.com

I am planning on getting these shaw borther titles on the region 3 celestial dvd’s

Clan of the White Lotus

Executioners from Shaolin

Invincible Pole Fighter

36th Chamber of Shaolin

King Boxer (five fingers of death)

Five Deadly Venoms

Crippled Avengers

Duel of the Iron Fist

The Savage Five

Vengeance

The New One Armed Swordsman

The Boxer From Shantung

The Lady Hermit

The Chinese Boxer

And probly a lot others. But my problem is this, hung fist said on the shaw brother dvd thread that the celestial releases have new soundtracks to them. For example birds and crickets and other bullshit where its supposed to be silent. What im wondering is what DVD’s from above have these new soundtracks, and is it it just added sounds of nature or gay music added in.

And yes i realize that i could have just posted this in the Shaw Brother DVD topic but this is straight to the the point of the Celestial DVD’s and thier soundtracks.

Duel of the Iron Fist and The Savage Five don’t know about. I’m pretty sure everything else from the list is fucked (birds and crickets)

The Chinese Boxer is a story of its own. A major fuck up. Not only new sound effects but new music as well. The opening credist have been re-done (not for the first time). The only good news is that I’m sure Dragon Dynasty will release this film at some point. King Boxer and 36th Chamber are coming from them next month. Their work with Fortune Star films hasn’t been so impressive as the HK discs released by IVL had notably better transfers even though they were based on same source material by Fortune Star. But I’d say wait DD to see if they get the audio right. In my opinion it’s more important because if the image is a bit pinkinsh for example you’ll get used to it, but the new sound effects hit again and again and again…

The only Celestials I have left is the One Armed Swordsman trilogy. I’ll be getting rid of it soon, too. I’ll get the DD for the first film if they get it right and try the japanese dvds (no english subs of course) for the rest.