Lack of audio commentaries

I’m happy with the interviews on the SE DVDs but I would have loved it if QT had done audio commentaries… anyone else feel the same? Anyone not give a shit? I’m not complaining ‘cause the interviews are really cool but It would have been extra feckin’ cool if he’d done commentary tracks…

Later

I think QT doing commentaries on his own movies wouldnt be cool mainly because part of the reason people love his films so much is because they have a certain mystery to them.

I think QT wants the audiences to make their own conclusions and also keep the films backstory a secret. If QT gave everything away it wouldnt be good for the films.

QT has said, he’s about what the WE think, not what he think he’s about.

good point, I guess I’m just a commentary junky :slight_smile:

He did a audio commentary for True Romance in the US and he also did one for Reservoir Dogs in the US.

That commentary that’s on DOGS is just taken from interviews.

He did a commentary for Jack Hill’s Switchblade Sisters that I still haven’t heard yet. Is it any good, Vic?

[quote]He did a audio commentary for True Romance in the US and he also did one for Reservoir Dogs in the US. [/quote]

yeah the one on Dogs is just pieces of interviews, so is the rest of the ACs on that disc.

the one on From Dusk Till Dawn is hillarious!

Exactly. FDTD is a great audio commentary. They talk about the flick, but don’t tell how you are supposed to think or feel about the movie. I like how Robert kinda caps on Tarantino’s “bad” Spanish from the script that they just left in there. I was bumed that JB and PF had no commentary on their “special editions”. Quentin’s a great talker, I could listen to him all day. The factoid pop-ups they have are a decent substitute, though I prefer commentary.

I hope QT does commentary for Kill Bill, especially if he makes us wait 6 years for the DVD!

yeah, the FDTD commentary is classic. I also like the Full-Tilt Boogie documentary… One of the funniest things (for me) is when George Clooney and QT are making their entrance, and GC shove’s some fan away and says “Eat wall” or something… that is some funny shit!

I guess I’ll have to buy True Romance. I’ve only ever seen it once (on TV) and I don’t remember it being all that great. But, if the commentaries are good I may as well buy it.

Seeing TRUE ROMANCE on TV does it no justice.

The scene with Walken & Hopper is CLASSIC - maybe one of the best scenes with dialogue executed EVER

Still haven’t had the chance to peep QT’s commentary yet though

I liked the Tarantino commentary on the True Romance Director’s Cut dvd, and he didn’t spent three quarters of the film, not talking about the movie itself, but about the writing process and trying to sell it. There were several points where he wandered completely off the topic of the movie he was watching and started talking about Reservoir Dogs and Pup Fiction, but that was ok, because the whole thing was fuckin cool.

Tarantino should include more audio commentaries in his movies even if he’s just reading from the local newspaper during the whole thing and adding in his two cents. Hell, it’d probably be even MORE entertaining than hearing him talk about the movie.

I really would’ve liked commentaries for Pulp and Jackie, because the ones on True Romance and Dawn are fucking gold. His commentaries are delicious, I just eat that shit up. I sure hope he has a commentary for the Kill Bill dvd. That would be a treat.

Yeah, it also gives you a feeling for his speech pattern. If you use your dvd remote to skip from scene to scene really fast, you end up hearing the same repitions in his speech over and over and over again in rapid succession.

“Um”…click…“Ok”…click…“Alright”…click…~nervous laughter~…click…“Um”…click…“Alright”…click…and on and on. His commentaries are awesome, because he makes the commentary track alone worth the purchase, and thats no small feat. I mean, he literally talks through the whole thing and turns the commentary feature, not into a supplement to the movie, but rather into its own interview/experience.

A Tarantino commentary is pretty much the complete opposite of say…the Mel Gibson commentary for Braveheart.

The only person who can do a better commentary track than QT is Kevin Smith.

[quote]The only person who can do a better commentary track than QT is Kevin Smith.[/quote]

Which one’s are good? From which movies?

[quote]

Which one’s are good? From which movies?[/quote]

Kevin Smith hasnt done any solo commentaries (Not yet, at least) but I like the Mallrats commentary the best. Fuckin hillarious.

the commentaries on Mallrats, Chasing Amy, and Dogma are all just about as funny as the movies themselves

haha yeah the one on Dogma is really funny!

[quote=“Laydback”]

He did a commentary for Jack Hill’s Switchblade Sisters that I still haven’t heard yet. Is it any good, Vic?
[/quote]

i thought that was a very funny an interesting audio commentary. He and Jack sit there and talk and its really great

Yeah I finally heard it about a year ago. Good stuff!

http://www.sharecrow.net/

record your own dvd commentaries.

the best commentary gets a prize!!