Tarantino's way of doing sountracks

General discussions about QT and his soundtracks (specific movie soundtrack boards see movie boards)
Charlie Brown

Re: Tarantino's way of doing sountracks

Post by Charlie Brown » Sun Nov 28, 2004 3:31 pm

Solidas wrote: 4  radio stations from the video game grand Theft auto  san andreas remind me
Tarantinoesqe music of his liking,the stations are  Bounce FM, K Rose,  Mastersounds Fm
and K dust....

Bounce fm= Classic funk and jive
K Rose= Country music and western songs
Mastersounds= old school R&B retro 70's music
K dust= Classic rock

The soundtrack is great I wonder if Qt ever played the game GTA san andreas... Im sure
he would get a kick out of the radio music station... BTW SAM" the man" Jackson
and Chris Penn voices 2  characters in the game.. Totally awesome!!
Ha ha, yeah i've noticed this too! Normally if we were talking my music taste i'd stick to Radio X, however I find I normally listen to those stations for the 'Tarantino Factor'!

The inclusion of Samuel L and Penn doing voices was great! (Gotta love Shaun Ryder's voice more though!)

Ify
Fucking Professional

Post by Ify » Mon Nov 29, 2004 7:36 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't QT start the whole dialogue in a OST thing??

"Movies are my religion and God is my patron. I'm lucky enough to be in the position where I don't make movies to pay for my pool. When I make a movie, I want it to be everything to me; like I would die for it." - QT

Laydback
Fucking Professional

Post by Laydback » Mon Nov 29, 2004 7:42 pm

Good Morning Vietnam and American Graffiti had dialogue from the movie(s) on the soundtrack, but the DJ were the only ones talking. As far as other characters in movies goes..Good question.

The Bride

Post by The Bride » Sat Dec 04, 2004 11:49 pm

Hattori_Honzo wrote: Not to criticise QT, but I'm of the opinion that he could have used the 1974 song "Hey Joe" by Jimmie Hendrix for the opening scene of Kill Bill vol. 1. Instead of that song by Sinatra's daughter "He Shot Me Down". Just my opinion. (BTW I'm sorry I can't remember the name of the woman who did that song at the beginning of Kill Bill 1)
It is definatley one of the best-used songs in any of his movies! Or any movie! It goes so well with the movie, it's kinda freaky! "Music played and people sang, just for me the church bells rang". Plus the obvious, "Bang, Bang my baby shot me down"...sometimes I wonder if he had the song in mind when he wrote the movie? Just listen to the words!

Ify
Fucking Professional

Post by Ify » Sun Dec 05, 2004 3:55 pm

Yeh QT doesn't just use any old music in his films. The songs he uses most of the time are very relevant to the scene. In the instances where the song has nothing to do with the scene or the characters, it is usually a song/music that fits into the scene very well. Also, he times his music and what is going on on-screen perfectly. On most occasions what is happening on screen matches the music and it is (almost) always pin point correct. One example I can think of is in Jackie Brown where some music is played before Jackie gets to the mall, QT timed it so that the moment she entered the mall and started becoming familiar with the room the music changed at that exact point which matches the atmosphere at the time (see Special Edition Trivia Track).

He is like Leone in this way as Leone also used some great music at the most appropriate times in his films to great effect.

"Movies are my religion and God is my patron. I'm lucky enough to be in the position where I don't make movies to pay for my pool. When I make a movie, I want it to be everything to me; like I would die for it." - QT

Yasmin

Post by Yasmin » Sun Dec 05, 2004 4:03 pm

I think Sid Vicious' version of My Way (which was used in the final credits of Goodfellas) would suit a Tarantino movie

The Bride

Post by The Bride » Mon Dec 06, 2004 10:25 pm

I agree with the person that said '96 Tears' would be good in one of his movies...I also think that 'Bandito' by Dick Dale would also be good, as well as 'Pipeline' by who's name I can't remember.

aceman

Post by aceman » Sun Jan 30, 2005 12:05 pm

i cant say what for a song but i know tha the tarantino soundtracks are the best soundtracks. no other film has such a good soundtrack

MiaRose
Basterd

Post by MiaRose » Sun Jan 30, 2005 9:33 pm

aceman wrote: i cant say what for a song but i know tha the tarantino soundtracks are the best soundtracks. no other film has such a good soundtrack
I totally agree Quentin's soundtracks are the best.
"I'm not saying that we haven't, and I'm not saying that we have. We love each other, but we're almost too close now to be a couple. We had out life together on Kill Bill. It was like a marriage in every way." -Quentin

morton downey

Post by morton downey » Fri Feb 11, 2005 2:10 am

OK--Tarantino has fucking great taste in music.

I know the Bang Bang hater changed his mind (wisely) but using Nancy Sinatra's song was one of the most inspired he's ever done.

And don't forget--Tarantino has ressurected the careers of many a musician--Dick Dale, Link Wray, even Al Green and Neil Diamond to a certain extend (with the cover of "Girl You'll be a Woman Soon").

I agree witht Question Mark and Mysterions 96 Tears call--perfect for Tarantino. But also another Nancy Song, only with Lee Hazelwood like, "Some Velvet Morning" would be excellent in a QT film. And some more rockabilly, like Eddie Cochran or Johnny Burnett. This is, after all, I guy who said you could tell a lot by a person if they considered themself an Elvis or Beatles fan. He is, clearly, pro-Elvis.

MiaRose
Basterd

Post by MiaRose » Fri Feb 11, 2005 3:26 pm

morton downey wrote:

And don't forget--Tarantino has ressurected the careers of many a musician--Dick Dale, Link Wray, even Al Green and Neil Diamond to a certain extend (with the cover of "Girl You'll be a Woman Soon").
You are right there. I'm 16, and after seeing Q's films i've got into Al Green, Chuck Berry and others. it's helped me appriciate a different kind of music to most people my age, which is a fantastic thing to do.
"I'm not saying that we haven't, and I'm not saying that we have. We love each other, but we're almost too close now to be a couple. We had out life together on Kill Bill. It was like a marriage in every way." -Quentin

MiaRose
Basterd

Post by MiaRose » Sun Feb 13, 2005 2:05 am

It would have to be an EXTREMELY well-chosed rap song, otherwise the mood would be totally ruined.

Johny_Exhale

Post by Johny_Exhale » Sun Feb 20, 2005 4:04 pm

he had a Foxy Brown song on the Jackie Brown OST (Letter to the Firm) wich is, indeed, an extremely well chosen rap-song

MiaRose
Basterd

Post by MiaRose » Sun Feb 20, 2005 10:11 pm

Yah that one was good. But as i said it has to be well chosen

CopperHead
Basterd

Post by CopperHead » Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:57 am

I thought I had QT's taste in music figured out until the Kill Bill soundtracks.

Bad Max
Fucking Professional

Post by Bad Max » Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:22 pm

I think he would like these songs  :) :

Green Onions - Booker T & The MG's
Fontella Bass - Rescue Me!
Time is Tight - Booker T & The MG's
Pink Floyd - Money
Pink Floyd - We Don't Need No Education
Jimmi Hendrix - All Along The Watchtower
Dick Dale - Ghostrider's In The Sky
Nena - 99 Luftballons
The Outfield's - I Dont Wanna Lose Your Love Tonight
Ohio Player's - Love Rollercoaster
The Clash - Louie, Louie
America - A Horse With No Name
Ash - Walking Barefoot
David Bowie - Rebel Rebel
Eddie Money - Give Me Some Water
Joe Cocker - Hot Town, Summer In The City
Kurtis Blow - (These Are) The Breaks
Prince - Darling Nikki
Sweet - Ballroom Blitz
Johnny Cash - When The Man Comes Around
Last edited by Bad Max on Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The German will be sickened by us, the German will talk about us, and the German will fear us.

CopperHead
Basterd

Post by CopperHead » Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:00 pm

Bad Max wrote: Johnny Cash - When The Man Comes Around
But QT wouldn't use that, he knows not to use songs movies already crisined. (I think thats spelt wrong)

Black Mamba!
Real McCoy

Post by Black Mamba! » Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:17 pm

CopperHead wrote: But QT wouldn't use that, he knows not to use songs movies already crisined. (I think thats spelt wrong)
How do you know that? Not saying you're wrong, but did he say in an interview...or are you just assuming that is something he does.

QT Fan

Post by QT Fan » Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:29 pm

He's said it in a interview.

Quentin loves just about every song in the world. Cheesy or not.

CopperHead
Basterd

Post by CopperHead » Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:16 pm

Black Mamba! wrote: How do you know that? Not saying you're wrong, but did he say in an interview...or are you just assuming that is something he does.
On the Pulp Fiction Special Edition OST, there is a interview with QT where he mentions what I said earlier.

QT Fan

Post by QT Fan » Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:23 pm

I knew I heard it somewhere. I listen to it on my IPOD all the time.

Clinton Morgan
Real McCoy

Post by Clinton Morgan » Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:48 pm

Ify wrote: Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't QT start the whole dialogue in a OST thing??
You're wrong. There's probably an earlier example but when Jack Nicholson edited the LP of the soundtrack to 'Head' he used snippets of dialogue from the movie. Sometimes mixing two seperate sentences to make a new one. For example,"You're music was pretty white." "And you know, the same goes for Christmas." Also the soundtracks to the Monty Python films are heavily dialogue based.
ClarenceWorley wrote: There isn't any lame music in his movies.
What about “She was six and he was seven…..�?

I must admit I was excited when I found out that he was using a Neu! track in Kill Bill Volume One.
Arbeit ist Scheisse

dandadub
Hard Drinker

Post by dandadub » Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:39 pm

he seems to know the best soul music aswell though i have to admit apart from "across 110th street" the jackie brown soundtrack was pretty poor as far as qt's standards of soul music is. 

Revenge is a dish best served cold

Pete
Fucking Professional

Post by Pete » Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:54 pm

Cheech and Chongs Up In Smoke soundtrack has dialogue excerpts from the film before each song like QTs soundtracks.

Lt. BioBasterd
Fucking Professional

Post by Lt. BioBasterd » Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:41 pm

Guys listen to this great interview. He first talks about Lenzi's film Nightmare City - I think the first time "Infected people" ran was in The Crazies. I mean everyone rips off Romero, but anyways, just listen to this - it's gold!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtR5Cxsc ... re=related
"All the billing in the world and the billboards can't do it. It's the people who pay their hard-earned cash across the ticket windows that make stars." - J.L. Mankiewicz

Ify
Fucking Professional

Post by Ify » Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:37 pm

We've all seen that a million times, a million years ago. But thanks a million  ;D

I kid, I kid.

Sgt. Geoi Donowitz
Fucking Professional

Post by Sgt. Geoi Donowitz » Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:08 am

Haha.  Yeah.  What IS he wearing, BTW?
"That's it.  Like my old Granddaddy used to always say, the less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect." - QT- Four Rooms