Tarantino and The Who

General discussions about QT and his soundtracks (specific movie soundtrack boards see movie boards)
kumquat

Tarantino and The Who

Post by kumquat » Sun Jan 01, 2006 6:42 pm

I've heard Tarantino hates The Who.
Anyone knows if this is true?

Bad Max
Fucking Professional

Re: Tarantino and The Who

Post by Bad Max » Sun Jan 01, 2006 6:44 pm

Where did you hear that?
The German will be sickened by us, the German will talk about us, and the German will fear us.

j_c

Post by j_c » Sun Jan 01, 2006 6:46 pm

Does it matter?

kumquat

Post by kumquat » Sun Jan 01, 2006 6:56 pm

someone told me and, yes, it does matter, at least to me.

AliasAnna

Post by AliasAnna » Sun Jan 01, 2006 8:24 pm

kumquat wrote: someone told me and, yes, it does matter, at least to me.
http://www.tarantino.info/index.php?opt ... &Itemid=41

Playboy: You make quintessential guy movies. Do you have an secret nonguy hobbies?

Tarantino: It's more a matter of guy things that I don't do. I don't hang around pool halls. I don't play poker. And I don't go to sporting events. To me, torture would be watching sports on television. If I go to Dodger Stadium, that's ok, because the game is secondary to the beer and the environment. One thing I don't understand is that average American movie-goers cannot watch a movie for three hours, yet they'll watch a stupid, boring, horrific football game for four hours. Now, that is boredom at its most colossal. I have a lot of little theories, and one of them is that nobody really likes sports. But men feel they should like sports, so they act as if they do. I also feel that way about the Who. I don't think anybody really likes that band. Everyone thinks they're supposed to like the Who, so they just pretend. They're afraid to say that the emperor has no clothes.

Sebastian
Inglourious Basterd

Post by Sebastian » Sun Jan 01, 2006 8:38 pm

nice find.

I like The Who though, albeit not all songs :_)

AliasAnna

Post by AliasAnna » Sun Jan 01, 2006 9:27 pm

The Seb wrote: nice find.

Thanks and ditto re. The Who.

kumquat

Post by kumquat » Sun Jan 01, 2006 9:28 pm

THANK YOU sooooo much...!

I only like a couple of them :-P

Snake Eyes
Basterd

Post by Snake Eyes » Mon Jan 02, 2006 2:07 am

whos the who? Ha ha ha :D

CopperHead
Basterd

Post by CopperHead » Mon Jan 02, 2006 2:12 am

The Who's a great band. But I don't care if QT likes them or not.

Alfred_E_Tarantino

Post by Alfred_E_Tarantino » Mon Jan 02, 2006 6:50 am

I must agree, I can't stand to watch sports. If I was given a gun and television that only received Football games and was locked in a closet, I wouldn't last long.

I sorta-kinda agree with The Who. Big hit-or-miss band that missed a lot more than they hit, but when they hit they were great.

kumquat

Post by kumquat » Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:07 am

CopperHead wrote: I don't care if QT likes them or not.
I don't care about his opnion when it comes to having my own, but I needed it to answer to a few soplapollas in another forum

Scarface
Fucking Professional

Post by Scarface » Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:18 am

QT can be an arrogant asshole sometimes. Dissing people just because they have different tastes than him. He needs to grow up.

P.S. Meanwhile he directed a TV episode with a Who song as its main theme haha.
Last edited by Scarface on Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sworlord

Post by Sworlord » Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:54 am

Scarface wrote: QT can be an arrogant asshole sometimes. Dissing people just because they have different tastes than him. He needs to grow up.

P.S. Meanwhile he directed a TV episode with a Who song as its main theme haha.

But you have to remember that being that way is what makes QT what he is.

Sebastian
Inglourious Basterd

Post by Sebastian » Mon Jan 02, 2006 12:59 pm

Scarface wrote: P.S. Meanwhile he directed a TV episode with a Who song as its main theme haha.
I didn't even think of that. Yes! So he's contradicting himself. Well he can't do anything against CSI's title theme (which rocks major ass!), but maybe he just went outside during the sound editing :-)

AliasAnna

Post by AliasAnna » Mon Jan 02, 2006 3:43 pm

I don't know why anyone gives a fuck what group Tarantino likes or doesn't like; either way, he's still Tarantino. Frankly, I think people take what he says way too seriously. But hey, to each their own...

Sworlord

Post by Sworlord » Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:34 am

AliasAnna wrote: I don't know why anyone gives a fuck what group Tarantino likes or doesn't like; either way, he's still Tarantino. Frankly, I think people take what he says way too seriously. But hey, to each their own...
Yes most things he says has that "hey what im saying isnt really a serious thought, im just tossing the idea around and lets see if your stupid enough to make it into something serious. thing to it.

:P

cyber-lili
Fucking Professional

Post by cyber-lili » Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:26 am

Yeah we don't care in fact if QT loves or not The Who. It's one of the best rock band ever (but this isn't a punk band ! Be careful). And QT contradicts himself, in a way he doesn't want to love them, and in the other, he uses one their song. So this isn't really important if he loves them or not.

Snake Eyes
Basterd

Post by Snake Eyes » Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:43 am

Thousand Eyes wrote: whos the who? Ha ha ha :D
ahh somebody slap me in the face..

roulette67
Basterd

Post by roulette67 » Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:01 am

I seem to think Tarantino speaks in the mood. he might say something when he's in one mood and be like, "I just felt like saying it." the next day. Without holding some of his statements til the bitter end. Sure he'll make a quote where he'll die before he changes it, he's arrogant. Then he may make a whatever comes to mind response to use just as an example. Like the Who think.

Which i do believe. I'm a Who fan. Not massive. Not even warm. I like some of their songs. Some are great anthems. "My Generation" for one. Townsend was great breaking his guitar apart and setting it on fire. But there were more misses than hits.

Overall. I don't take everything the man says as law. He's just a guy who is incredibly talented and richer than I'll ever be in my lifetime.

Ify
Fucking Professional

Post by Ify » Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:10 pm

roulette67 wrote: I seem to think Tarantino speaks in the mood. he might say something when he's in one mood and be like, "I just felt like saying it." the next day. Without holding some of his statements til the bitter end. Sure he'll make a quote where he'll die before he changes it, he's arrogant. Then he may make a whatever comes to mind response to use just as an example. Like the Who think.

Which i do believe. I'm a Who fan. Not massive. Not even warm. I like some of their songs. Some are great anthems. "My Generation" for one. Townsend was great breaking his guitar apart and setting it on fire. But there were more misses than hits.

Overall. I don't take everything the man says as law. He's just a guy who is incredibly talented and richer than I'll ever be in my lifetime.
What a well-rounded response.

"Movies are my religion and God is my patron. I'm lucky enough to be in the position where I don't make movies to pay for my pool. When I make a movie, I want it to be everything to me; like I would die for it." - QT

j_c

Post by j_c » Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:25 am

I. Too. Agree. That. Was. A. Sufficient. Post. Regarding. This. Topic.

Sebastian
Inglourious Basterd

Post by Sebastian » Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:10 am

roulette67 wrote: I seem to think Tarantino speaks in the mood. he might say something when he's in one mood and be like, "I just felt like saying it." the next day. Without holding some of his statements til the bitter end. Sure he'll make a quote where he'll die before he changes it, he's arrogant. Then he may make a whatever comes to mind response to use just as an example. Like the Who think.

yeah and unlike us, people will constantly discuss every word he sais in public, hehe

Lode
Hard Drinker

Post by Lode » Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:36 pm

MiaMsPink wrote: The Who was one of the first real rock (and even punk) bands to hit it big in the US.
Awwwwwwww. It is no punk, like cyber-lilli already mentioned. At first they were Mods, they played music for Mods. Their music was Mod. Then they became Rock-Legends. (The question is if it is really Rock what they're doin', cause Mods always fought against Rockers :) ) How can a band be Punk making music before 1977? ;)
Last edited by Lode on Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

roulette67
Basterd

Post by roulette67 » Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:22 pm

Lode wrote: It is no punk, like cyber-lilli already mentioned. How can a band be Punk making music before 1977? ;)
Exactly. The Who/Sex Pistols. Hmmmm.

j_c

Post by j_c » Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:48 pm

Lode wrote: Awwwwwwww. It is no punk, like cyber-lilli already mentioned. At first they were Mods, they played music for Mods. Their music was Mod. Then they became Rock-Legends. (The question is if it is really Rock what they're doin', cause Mods always fought against Rockers :) ) How can a band be Punk making music before 1977? ;)
Hmm. Calm down there mate. Ever heard of the Ramones? Their first single came out in '75. Even then the origins of punk date back to the '60's. Velvet Underground and then the whole Post New-Wave "British Invasion period" after '75. Even before that there was the Psycadelic era of '65-'68 which was about getting drunk and partying with random psyc moments. There was also Television in '77 aswell, you don't get more Punk than Tom Verlaine. The Stooges first album came out in '69, as did MC-5's. So yeah, the Sex Pistols weren't the first punk band. Far From it. ;)

Lode
Hard Drinker

Post by Lode » Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:09 pm

Yeah, ok you're right. You can't draw real clear lines. If it is 75,76 or 77 doesn't really matter. But the fact that THE punk started '77 is right, isn't it? Please don't ask me what THE real punk is, but i always referred 77 to punkrock. I am not very interested in this hole punk stuff so you could maybe teach a little bit ;) But to call this psychadelic era in the sixties punk is in my opinions wrong too.

Edit: And when you say origins go back to the 60s, I mean hey, it is everywhere th same.
Last edited by Lode on Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

j_c

Post by j_c » Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:59 pm

Lode wrote: But the fact that THE punk started '77 is right, isn't it?
Hmm. That's debatable as you can see. If you mean the term "Punk" I really don't know where that came from. The B-side of the Ramones first single (before Blitzkreig Pop) was called Judy is a Punk. But then again it is down to opinion.
But to call this psychadelic era in the sixties punk is in my opinions wrong too.
Why is that wrong?
Edit: And when you say origins go back to the 60s, I mean hey, it is everywhere th same.
That's the general point I was trying to make.

All I'm trying to say is that the Sex Pistols weren't the first. Ever heard "My Generation" by The Who? Well I think that was the first mainstream Punk Song('65). Think about it, it's about being young, ignoring the old and living your own life.

Also remember that around the time of the Pistols there were hundreds of bands playing in England with the same ideas (or anti-ideas..geddit?) dress style, attitude. Even in America aswell (minus the whole anti-monarchy thing the Pistols had goin on) with bands such as The Ramones, Stooges, Rocket From the Tombs, MC-5, Television, The Dead Boys, Iggy, Blondie, Talking Heads. (Yes, these can all be considered)

But yeah, Punk is a vague as emo or grunge. Remember though, the punk you're talking about only lasted to the mid '80's. After that there were so many branches... New Wave, Neo Wave, No-Wave, Grunge, Post Punk etc... You get the picture

Ify
Fucking Professional

Post by Ify » Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:41 pm

j_c wrote: Hmm. That's debatable as you can see. If you mean the term "Punk" I really don't know where that came from. The B-side of the Ramones first single (before Blitzkreig Pop) was called Judy is a Punk. But then again it is down to opinion.

Why is that wrong?

That's the general point I was trying to make.

All I'm trying to say is that the Sex Pistols weren't the first. Ever heard "My Generation" by The Who? Well I think that was the first mainstream Punk Song('65). Think about it, it's about being young, ignoring the old and living your own life.

Also remember that around the time of the Pistols there were hundreds of bands playing in England with the same ideas (or anti-ideas..geddit?) dress style, attitude. Even in America aswell (minus the whole anti-monarchy thing the Pistols had goin on) with bands such as The Ramones, Stooges, Rocket From the Tombs, MC-5, Television, The Dead Boys, Iggy, Blondie, Talking Heads. (Yes, these can all be considered)

But yeah, Punk is a vague as emo or grunge. Remember though, the punk you're talking about only lasted to the mid '80's. After that there were so many branches... New Wave, Neo Wave, No-Wave, Grunge, Post Punk etc... You get the picture
How old are you, if you don't mind me asking?

"Movies are my religion and God is my patron. I'm lucky enough to be in the position where I don't make movies to pay for my pool. When I make a movie, I want it to be everything to me; like I would die for it." - QT

j_c

Post by j_c » Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:37 pm

It doesnt matter whether I was around at the time or not.

I know my statements are bold.. meh.