RAND VOSSLER Director of NBK?

I was reading the original sreenplay of Natural Born Killers…and at the very end it says, “A Film Directed by Rand Vossler” then " A NOJA PRODUCTION "

So now this got me to wondering…did Tarantino EVER want to direct “Natural Born Killers” ?

So then I looked up this ‘Rand Vossler’

http://www.deep-focus.com/flicker/killerin.html

also;

“Quentin Tarantino was an uncredited “polish” writer for this film, managing to include such pop-fare as the whole “Silver Surfer” debate, and surely the “Star Trek” references as well. Another Tarantino-ism can be found in the character name “Russell Vossler” which is a reference to Rand Vossler, a friend of Quentin’s from his days working at the Video Archives video store. Vossler was also used in PULP FICTION. It was one of the names on the marquee of Bruce Willis’ boxing match. Director Tony Scott once directed an entire film out of Quentin’s own script called TRUE ROMANCE (10/10)” from http://www.joblo.com/crimsontide.htm

and this

"Hamsher’s take on Stone is realistically hot-and-cold: sometimes she hates him, sometimes she kind of likes the guy (Stone knows how to turn on the charm when he wants to). Her take on Quentin is pretty consistently disdainful, but Quentin is a saint compared to some of the friends surrounding him, like Rand Vossler. Eventually credited as a co-producer on NBK (for doing nothing – he was given the credit, basically, to pacify him), Vossler is painted here as an egotistical crybaby who threatened to hold up Hamsher and Murphy in court so he could regain the rights to NBK and direct it himself. According to Hamsher, both Stone and Tarantino are talented men irreparably damaged by all the yes-men and kiss-asses surrounding them. (There’s a bit of mournful respect for Roger Avary, who, it turns out, is pretty much responsible for Quentin’s career: he wrote a script called The Open Road, which Tarantino expanded into a monstrous 400-page epic from which he later cannibalized almost every script he’s written. If you want back-up for an argument that Tarantino is little more than a parrot for other people’s work, this is the book you want in your corner.) " from http://www.angelfire.com/movies/oc/hamsher.html

Also The marquee where Butch boxes advertises the following fights: “Coolidge vs. Wilson” and “Vossler vs. Martinez”'. The first is a reference to the presidential election contested by Calvin Coolidge and Woodrow Wilson, the second is a reference to Rand Vossler and Jerry Martinez are two friends of Tarantino’s from when he worked in a video store.

From error 404

Today I did the “Day of the Dead” audio commentary for Anchor Bay and had a frickin’ blast. Mark Ward, of Anchor Bay, invited me to discuss the film, and when I arrived at Crest, where we were doing the recording, that Rand Vossler was one of the DVD producers. Rand, if any of you know your QT trivia, was one of the producers of “Natural Born Killers” – and was at one time going to direct the film. I’ve known him since my days at Video Archives (he was the Director of Photography on Quentin’s first feature, “My Best Friend’s Birthday”).

Last but not least, imdb.com;
http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0903745

Russel Vossler
http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0903748

Interesting shit if ya ask me. I don’t know if any of this has been brought up before (i’m sure some of it has) but still…not all of us could’ve known this.

So I think there’s more to the Oliver Stone controversy…maybe Tarantino was pissed cause he knew he’d trust his friend Vossler to direct it, then after seeing the outcome he was probably even MORE pissed.

What do you guys think?

well maybe at the time QT wrote the script, he though his buddy Rand could maybe direct that.

They talk all about the whole NBK thing in “Quentin Tarantino The Man and His Movies”.

Rand Vossler shot My Best Friend’s Birthday for Quentin after his brother, Russell Vossler, who worked at Video Archives with Quentin, introduced them. Quentin and Rand then spent a couple of years trying to get NBK off the ground with Quentin directing and Rand producing. When Quentin got the shot to direct Reservoir Dogs, he gave Rand his blessing to direct NBK if he could get it going within a set amount of time. Rand did some rewrites so it is probably that version of the script that Cherry_Licker read with the words “A Film Directed by Rand Vossler” at the end. The controversy arises over the methods used by J & D Productions to get Rand to sign the rights to the film over to them as producers, a move which eventually led to Oliver Stone directing the film.

The reference to Vossler in Crimson Tide is most likely a direct reference to Rand’s brother, Russell, who continued his friendship with Quentin long after Quentin had had a falling out over what happened with NBK.

On a similar note, by the way, I would say that Al Pacino’s character in “Once Upon a Time in Hollywood” who gives his last name as “Schwarz” without a “t” is almost assuredly a direct reference to Dov Schwarz, another buddy of Rand and Quentin’s who did sound on My Best Friend’s Birthday.

1 Like