Quentin Hated it, Did you?

Discuss this controversial movie (and DVD stuff) in here
Jjp

Re: Quentin Hated it, Did you?

Post by Jjp » Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:55 pm

yea plus i dont think that tarantino could direct the cinematography as well as oliver stone did in NBK.

Kilgore Trout

Post by Kilgore Trout » Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:59 pm

NBK was made to please the masses.  They don't appreciate anything unless it cost a fortune.  This goes against everything that is Tarantino

ToothpickVicVega

Post by ToothpickVicVega » Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:08 pm

Jjp wrote: yea plus i dont think that tarantino could direct the cinematography as well as oliver stone did in NBK.
Cinematography? Robert Richardson was the DP on NBK and Kill Bill. And QT is a better director than Stone is IMO.

mr blonde_22
Basterd

Post by mr blonde_22 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:17 pm

i liked the way stone directed it, the satire style was good it made you realize how fucked up people were (mickey and mallery as idols)
Pete wrote: Cinematography? Robert Richardson was the DP on NBK and Kill Bill. And QT is a better director than Stone is IMO.
they are very different in their styles, stone is very flashy ex this and any given sunday and tarantino really has his own style with long shots etc tarantino also directs actors alot better

ToothpickVicVega

Post by ToothpickVicVega » Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:24 pm

I like QTs directing style better. I didnt like NBK or Any Given Sunday. AGS was so shitty I couldnt watch it.
Last edited by Pete on Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jjp

Post by Jjp » Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:52 pm

QT is better but im just saying QT could not in a million years direct NBK the way it was directed it was a great film...i dont think he would want to but its still a great movie.

Kilgore Trout

Post by Kilgore Trout » Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:05 pm

Stone's stuff is too over-the-top as far as I'm concerned.  JFK was a fucking looney-bin fantasy that only some crazy drunk in a bar would believe.  The only good part was the part where Joe Pesci was painted gold and getting cornholed on the dining-room table. 

Jjp

Post by Jjp » Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:06 pm

i havent seen JFK yet.

Kilgore Trout

Post by Kilgore Trout » Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:22 pm

its a good one if you play the Kevin Bacon game

Jjp

Post by Jjp » Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:55 pm

im not to big on kevin bacon.

Cpt tonyanthony
Fucking Professional

Post by Cpt tonyanthony » Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:00 am

Jjp wrote: QT is better but im just saying QT could not in a million years direct NBK the way it was directed it was a great film...i dont think he would want to but its still a great movie.
yeah that's because they are two different persons, oliver Stone could never do KB the way tarantino did either

Jjp

Post by Jjp » Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:18 pm

tonyanthony wrote: yeah that's because they are two different persons, oliver Stone could never do KB the way tarantino did either
yea exactly but QT should have recognized that and not bashed NBK.

ToothpickVicVega

Post by ToothpickVicVega » Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:23 pm

Yeah but it was his script. If you wrote a script that was very special to you and someone bastardized it, youd get miffed too. QT loved True Romance alot, thats cuz Scott stayed true to the story QT wrote from his heart. He showed respect for QTs art.

Ify
Fucking Professional

Post by Ify » Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:43 pm

Jjp wrote: yea plus i dont think that tarantino could direct the cinematography as well as oliver stone did in NBK.
Jjp wrote: QT is better but im just saying QT could not in a million years direct NBK the way it was directed it was a great film...i dont think he would want to but its still a great movie.
Dude, from these quotes it's clear you have no idea what you're talking about.

"Movies are my religion and God is my patron. I'm lucky enough to be in the position where I don't make movies to pay for my pool. When I make a movie, I want it to be everything to me; like I would die for it." - QT

Jjp

Post by Jjp » Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:05 pm

Ify wrote: Dude, from these quotes it's clear you have no idea what you're talking about.
why because i disagree...NBK is a great film.

Ify
Fucking Professional

Post by Ify » Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:54 am

Jjp wrote: why because i disagree...NBK is a great film.
No, because it's clear you have no idea what you're talking about.

"Movies are my religion and God is my patron. I'm lucky enough to be in the position where I don't make movies to pay for my pool. When I make a movie, I want it to be everything to me; like I would die for it." - QT

Jjp

Post by Jjp » Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:57 am

Ify wrote: No, because it's clear you have no idea what you're talking about.
and then again i will ask why

Ify
Fucking Professional

Post by Ify » Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:01 am

Read your posts I quoted in my earlier post, and tell me you know what you're talking about.

"i dont think that tarantino could direct the cinematography as well as oliver stone did in NBK"

What the fuck does that even mean?

Jjp

Post by Jjp » Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:08 am

Ify wrote: Read your posts I quoted in my earlier post, and tell me you know what you're talking about.

"i dont think that tarantino could direct the cinematography as well as oliver stone did in NBK"

What the fuck does that even mean?
The cameras frequantly change ,colors,B&W, film stock,like 5 differant types of video tapes extreme angles and he knew when to change at the right moment and how to do it to really put an impression for and example the scene where the snake bites her and it keeps changin to red when it goes on here and black and white all around then when he robs the store it is green and you think he is safe green=go and you like he is gona get away and the cops catch him.Then the raw graininess film qaulity of the rapes.

Cpt tonyanthony
Fucking Professional

Post by Cpt tonyanthony » Thu Jun 14, 2007 3:55 pm

Jjp wrote: The cameras frequantly change ,colors,B&W, film stock,like 5 differant types of video tapes extreme angles and he knew when to change at the right moment and how to do it to really put an impression for and example the scene where the snake bites her and it keeps changin to red when it goes on here and black and white all around then when he robs the store it is green and you think he is safe green=go and you like he is gona get away and the cops catch him.Then the raw graininess film qaulity of the rapes.
I actually like Oliver Stone very much but it's not using 15 different film stocks and 4 formats that make him a great director. John Ford never had to do those kind of things to prove he was one of the best director in film history 8)

Tristan
Basterd

Post by Tristan » Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:09 pm

Ify wrote: What the fuck does that even mean?
I don't get your point Ify...it's pretty crystal clear to me what Jjp means!
Kinda cute, kinda hot, kinda sexy and hysterically funny but not funny-looking signature which you could laugh at

Scarface
Fucking Professional

Post by Scarface » Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:51 pm

Jjp wrote: The cameras frequantly change ,colors,B&W, film stock,like 5 differant types of video tapes extreme angles and he knew when to change at the right moment and how to do it to really put an impression for and example the scene where the snake bites her and it keeps changin to red when it goes on here and black and white all around then when he robs the store it is green and you think he is safe green=go and you like he is gona get away and the cops catch him.Then the raw graininess film qaulity of the rapes.
That doesn't mean QT can't direct that way. It simply means he doesn't want to. Direction-wise, NBK is overkill. It gets super irritating after a few minutes.

Jjp

Post by Jjp » Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:19 pm

Scarface wrote: That doesn't mean QT can't direct that way. It simply means he doesn't want to. Direction-wise, NBK is overkill. It gets super irritating after a few minutes.
TO me it just kept me on my toes thinking what is going to happen next?

mr blonde_22
Basterd

Post by mr blonde_22 » Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:25 pm

it comes down to personal preference, MTV generation like the choppy NBK style of editing, DOmino and Man on fire are good examples (quint loved man on fire btw) where as some people prefer the more flowing pulp fiction/jackie brown style.

Jjp

Post by Jjp » Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:32 pm

mr blonde_22 wrote: it comes down to personal preference, MTV generation like the choppy NBK style of editing, DOmino and Man on fire are good examples (quint loved man on fire btw) where as some people prefer the more flowing pulp fiction/jackie brown style.
incorrect because i like jackie brown and pulp better...but i still like NBK and i dident like man on fire or domino.

Ify
Fucking Professional

Post by Ify » Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:16 pm

But QT wasn't responsible for the cinematography.

I think if QT were to direct NBK, It'd be a whole lot better, and I'd actually like it.
Tristan wrote: I don't get your point Ify...it's pretty crystal clear to me what Jjp means!
You two must be on the same level then. Well done.

Tristan
Basterd

Post by Tristan » Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:24 pm

whaddya mean well done? is it negative?
I just get his point, that's all.
Kinda cute, kinda hot, kinda sexy and hysterically funny but not funny-looking signature which you could laugh at

Jjp

Post by Jjp » Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:31 pm

Ify wrote: But QT wasn't responsible for the cinematography.
no shit he had nothing to do with the film other than script.

Cpt tonyanthony
Fucking Professional

Post by Cpt tonyanthony » Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:26 pm

Jjp wrote: incorrect because i like jackie brown and pulp better...but i still like NBK and i dident like man on fire or domino.
i love Domino, but not NBK nor man on fire. but i LOOOVE Domino.
Ify wrote: I think if QT were to direct NBK, It'd be a whole lot better, and I'd actually like it.
i agree, i saw the film once when it was released, but i read the original script 3 or 4 times ..

Ify
Fucking Professional

Post by Ify » Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:08 pm

Jjp wrote: no shit he had nothing to do with the film other than script.
Oh GOD!! You are completely out of it, dude. There is no point talking to you about this.