Popcorn by Ben Elton

I read a book called Popcorn last year and the whole book I thought about the similaritys it had to NBK.

It is basically about a couple who goes around killing people (like mickey and mallory) and in the beginning there is a scene that is almost exactly like a scene in NBK… With the girl dancing by a jukebox and a guy hits on her and then she killes him.

The book is called Popcorn and it is written by Ben Elton, anyone who has read it?

I’ve read it and I thought the same when I was reading it - it is very similar to Natural Born Killers.

I just thought about something else. In the book there is also a film-director who is doing movies that most people find too violent and controversial and when they were showing NBK on tv here in Sweden the tv-mg wrote that people said the same about Oliver Stone’s NBK.

Did the book come out after the movie?

I’m not sure… I’ll see.

It came out a few years later.

Maybe the author copied NBK? If the book came after the film then it´s very likely.

[quote=“Luxie”]
Maybe the author copied NBK? If the book came after the film then it´s very likely.
[/quote]
Yeah. I found this link, in Swedish, so it is mostly for you Luxie. hehe…

http://home.swipnet.se/~w-101964/elton.html

Thank you! Guess i was right, haha

Yeah… I liked the book, though. More than I liked NBK. But his other book, Dead Famous is much better… :slight_smile:

[quote]But his other book, Dead Famous is much better…[/quote]

I like Dead Famous much better also.

[quote=“MissMia”]
I like Dead Famous much better also.
[/quote]
Tarantino could make a movie of it. That would be cool.

[quote]Tarantino could make a movie of it. That would be cool.[/quote]

Yeah, that would kick ass - I thought the book was great.

Also, I am re-reading Popcorn, it just keeps screaming Natural Born Killers at me. The character of Bruce, is very similar to QT aswell - a hugely successful director making contraversial and violent movies, and doesn’t Ordinary Americans sound like a mix of Reservoir Dogs/Pulp Fiction, especially when two gangsters shoot someone and try to find somewhere to clean up (a la Vincent and Jules at Jimmy’s house.) Wayne and Scout just scream Mickey and Mallory. It is a brilliant book - like most of Ben Elton’s novels, very clever and witty.

I think I may be reading into it a bit much.

When I get my hands on it I’ll buy both dead famous and Popcorn in English (have only read them in Swedish)… I remember that I liked them both…

I am over halfway through the book - it is a bit less Natural Born Killers now. Still really good though.