Tarantino and the Weinsteins

Nice article about Harvey Weinstein: <LINK_TEXT text=“http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/enter … 133082.ece”>http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/entertainment/film-tv/news/article3133082.ece</LINK_TEXT>

[quote]…He drops the names of his starry friends nonchalantly. “When Quentin Tarantino came into my life, my love of world cinema became even more pronounced. We had many exciting Saturday nights. I remember when we put on A Touch of Zen, a beautiful martial arts movie, that led to me acquiring all these great catalogues from China - Jet Li, Jackie Chan and Stephen Chow.”

There is some tactical game-playing in this talking up of his relationship with Tarantino. After Grindhouse tanked in the US, he ordered the film to be split into two: Death Proof and the forthcoming Planet Terror, in part for the American DVD release. Tarantino hated the idea, and their relationship was under strain. The fact that Death Proof did terribly at the box office as a single feature did Weinstein no favours.

Now, he is clearly making concessions to Tarantino and taking all the blame for the film’s failure. “With Grindhouse, I want to make it perfectly clear that I’ll take all the shots aimed at the film. It was my idea to make it two films. We’ve bought a library of classic grindhouse films to release on DVD, so we’re not giving up on the idea of grindhouse yet.”

With Tarantino and others, Weinstein is aware that his company would have no product without its directors, and his favourites are treated extremely well. [/quote]

Thats good news.

This shit happens in the film industry. Even a Michael Bay movie flopped hard two years ago. And that one had a much wider target audience than Grindhouse. It was a brave experiment that succeeded artistically but failed financially.

[quote=“Scarface”]
This shit happens in the film industry. Even a Michael Bay movie flopped hard two years ago. And that one had a much wider target audience than Grindhouse. It was a brave experiment that succeeded artistically but failed financially.
[/quote]
I was just thinking…what kind of music do people on this forum like? Brittany Spears? The Beatmeat boys? Shit no! we like artsy-fartsy shit that is played by people who don’t make much money - commecailly unsuccessful people. I don’t look at Tarantino any differently than a musician or any other kind of artist - if he were mainstream and commercially successful I probably wouldn’t fucking like him.

[quote=“Kilgore Trout”]
I was just thinking…what kind of music do people on this forum like? Brittany Spears? The Beatmeat boys? Shit no! we like artsy-fartsy shit that is played by people who don’t make much money - commecailly unsuccessful people. I don’t look at Tarantino any differently than a musician or any other kind of artist - if he were mainstream and commercially successful I probably wouldn’t fucking like him.
[/quote]

You’re right. I’d rather listen to an old Jewish woman singing in her kitchen than the top grossing artists of today. How much a movie makes at the box-office won’t affect my judgement at all. However, the comparison to the music industry is fair, but not accurate. Unlike a movie, an album does not cost $50 million to produce. There’s much more pressure for a movie to be successful with all that cash spent on its production.

[quote=“Scarface”]
You’re right. I’d rather listen to an old Jewish woman singing in her kitchen than the top grossing artists of today. How much a movie makes at the box-office won’t affect my judgement at all. However, the comparison to the music industry is fair, but not accurate. Unlike a movie, an album does not cost $50 million to produce. There’s much more pressure for a movie to be successful with all that cash spent on its production.
[/quote]
an old Jewish woman sounds better than Brittany Spears or the blowjob boys

Its gotta be a tough thing to walk that line between being an artist and being #1 every time out of the box. QT has to keep that artistic integrity going until he stops working. Thats probably the toughest obstacle when youre in the biz. We also cant expect every film he does to be a smash hit either, thats just unrealistic. Especially when a guy like QT is making films. Hes never going to play by standard Hollywood rules. I think he’d quit before selling his soul to stay in the biz. I know he wants his legacy in film to be something he can be proud of when hes 85 years old.