QT to present a retrospective on Spaghetti western at Venice Film Festival 2007

<LINK_TEXT text=“http://www.labiennale.org/it/cinema/mos … 609.4.html”>http://www.labiennale.org/it/cinema/mostra/it/20609.4.html</LINK_TEXT>

[i]Hello everybody, this is Quentin Tarantino and I’m proud to represent this Retrospective of “Spaghetti westernâ€

Off topic: I was watching EWSTN - a western movie channel on Dish network last night and they were previewing a “European Western Marathon”. All of the movies were obviously “Spaghetti Westerns” and yet they didn’t call them that. What’s up with calling them “European Westerns”? Is that the new term they are using now?

No, I think EWestern(Encore) just dont what the hell they are talking about.

It had all of the Eastwood/Leone films and even Quigley Down Under was in the list. I couldn’t believe that Quigley Down Under was included…I hated that one so much. Besides…it was shot in Australia wasn’t it?

Hmm never seen it so i wouldnt know.

Anyway thats a great list of movies(wish I could be there)

On his Nürburgring promo trip for DEATH PROOF QT mentioned, that he hasn’t got only one favorite website, but one of his favorites is defintely the Spaghetti Western Database.

[quote=“William Cutting”]
On his Nürburgring promo trip for DEATH PROOF QT mentioned, that he hasn’t got only one favorite website, but one of his favorites is defintely the Spaghetti Western Database.
[/quote]
I HEARD THAT QT DIDN’T LIKE COMPUTERS AND REFUSED TO USE THEM

[quote=“Kilgore Trout”]
Off topic: I was watching EWSTN - a western movie channel on Dish network last night and they were previewing a “European Western Marathon”. All of the movies were obviously “Spaghetti Westerns” and yet they didn’t call them that. What’s up with calling them “European Westerns”? Is that the new term they are using now?
[/quote]

In all fairness, Italians weren’t the only ones that made them over there. There were Brit/Turkish/and Czech-produced westerns as well (God’s Gun with Lee Van Cleef is one example) But I’ve seen the preview you’re talking about and those all looked like Italian westerns to me.

I’ve always wondered if Tarantino liked the comic spaghettis (Trinity,etc) but judging by those selections at the festival, not so sure.

EDIT-mahbad. Trinity is indeed in the list. Post English titles, please 8)

QT announcing it himself - YouTube

He definitely is familiar with the comedic SW films. I’ve heard him mention some as ones he likes (can’t recall name off top of my head). Several of the titles at Venice are SW films he has already screened at his QT Fests. Outside of the Leone films he has screened there I think Day of Anger and Arizona Colt (which certainly has some fun humor) were my favorites, though neither are screening here. Very nice diverse list of SW films. The Tonino Valerii film is one that has escaped me and I definitely want to check out now (I know Wild East has it out).

The best thing about this for me is that hopefully now several of these SW titles not already out with a proper home video release will now get one (at least ones without any complicated rights issues).

QT likes all types of Spaghetti Westerns. Personally, i don’t think that he chose a great group to show. I’m just a little surpised at some of the ones he picked, but i guess he is trying to give life to some that haven’t had a good release yet. Not the best group of Spags, but a fair group.

Any new articles or videos?

There are, where?!?!?

:o

[quote=“Biohazard”]
There are, where?!?!?

:o
[/quote]

If I had a hammer …

any feed backs on the event?? i wish i was there goddamit even though i’ve seen almost every films on the selection… every year there is a bunch of dvds that are released for the occasion, so watch out!

Do any of you know the title of the first western ever made in a snowy climate? I’ve been trying to locate that movie, just don’t know the title.

there is a andre de toth film with Robert Ryan called Day of the outlaw it was made in the late 50s…

[quote=“Biohazard”]
Do any of you know the title of the first western ever made in a snowy climate? I’ve been trying to locate that movie, just don’t know the title.
[/quote]

You might be thinking about The Great Silence directed by Sergio Corbucci

[quote=“Movie_Villain”]
You might be thinking about The Great Silence directed by Sergio Corbucci
[/quote]

no day of the outlaw was before

QT wasn’t even there. No wonder there weren’t any articles.

Midnight Eye on Takashi Miike’s press conference in Venice:

[quote]But first, the press conference. Why does a director known for his violent scenes put so much comedy into his new film, asks a lady from Hong Kong. “In Japan I’m seen as a man who makes children’s films.” What was it like working with Tarantino, asks another, and by the way, where the hell is he? The film’s special guest star - and ‘godfather’ of the spaghetti western retrospective conveniently taking place elsewhere at this same festival - has yet to show his face in Venice. “Back pains” is the official word that arrives instead. He won’t make it to Italy at all. Eli Roth is sent in to take over ceremonial duties for a day, looking somewhat out of place in a round table discussion that features two fistfuls of graying Cinecittà regulars, but he is already on his way back to L.A. by the time Miike, Roth’s special guest star in the Tarantino-produced Hostel (you could call it an exchange of favours, but Miike did his bit for free, QT didn’t), arrives in town.[/quote]