Come Drink With Me

According to this source, QT is set to remake an old Shaw Bros flick, possibly being his next project.

<LINK_TEXT text=“http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/con … c3e7732bf0”>http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/news/e3ia76075fe469ef9a48e8bb6c3e7732bf0</LINK_TEXT>

Hope this isn’t true, that’s all I’m gonna say.

There will be A LOT of angst in this world if he makes anything but Inglorious Bastards next. Everybody and I mean EVERYBODY - even the fucking haters - want him to make IB next. He said so himself, he’s done his little fun project, now is mountain climbing time.

Tarantino's next is...

QT knows that people want him to do IB next. I really hope he saves this project for the thing he does AFTER IB. But really, would I not go see this if he did? Of course not. But I really need a break from the kung fu type stuff. Ive seen so many of those kinds of films in the past few years. Id like him to go somewhere else next.

Let me guess; Uma Thurman will play Cheng Pei-pei’s role ;D

A bit surprising choise of film I have to say. I would’ve expected a a venoms film instead. But then again, we all know Tarantino’s love for women kicking ass.

Original HK poster

French dvd cover

Cheng Pei-pei

pictures from

http://www.shaolinchamber.com/shawbros_posters_a-f.html

Hong Kong Cinemagic - Come Drink With Me

Have you seen the original movie Hung?

Oh by the way: QT doesnt do remakes, he writes original material. I really hope he writes his own kung fu film and forgets this remake thing.

IB and then his westerns projects are far more exciting than this project. As far as remakes are concerned I’d rather see him redo Lucio Fulci’s The Psychic as he intended to do at one point than this one…

I really hope QT just continues doing his own work and lets other directors handle remakes. He has plenty of awesome sounding ideas for future films.

[quote=“PopeyePete”]
I really hope QT just continues doing his own work and lets other directors handle remakes. He has plenty of awesome sounding ideas for future films.
[/quote]

beside if he wants to stop directing at 50/55 he doen’t have much time to waste :slight_smile:

Actually, I’ve just read the Hollywood reporter and one line reads pretty interesting:

"Titles that the fund is expected to handle include Wong Kar Wai’s “My Blueberry Nights,” the opening-night film at the Festival de Cannes, and a remake of the Hong Kong martial arts movie “Come Drink With Me,” directed by Quentin Tarantino."

Obviously, this text is based on a press release. To me, it seems more than likely that “a remake of come and drink with me by QT” was a project listed in the development schedule of the Weinstein Co. to facilitate the creation of the fund and convince financeers to put $$ in that venture. It is very common to do this in the industry and by the end of the day, it doesn’t mean much. at least that is my guess and boy do I hope I’m right :wink:

Yeah i hope that whole thing is just BS. I dont want QT doing remakes of martial arts classics. He doesnt need to do that kind of stuff.

[quote=“Scarface”]
Have you seen the original movie Hung?
[/quote]

of course ;D It’s a nice little film although not the kind of blast as say One Armed Swordsman. Also shouldn’t be compared to 70’s stuff because martial arts cinema developed really fast and Come Drink With Me can’t possibly compete against those later films in terms of action and choreography. But it’s a nice history lesson. The first half drags a bit but the second is very good with all the stunning trademark Shaw Bros. set ups etc.

But I do feel Tarantino would be more home with crippled avengers type of source material

[quote=“Hung Fist”]
The first half drags a bit but the second is very good with all the stunning trademark Shaw Bros. set ups etc.
[/quote]

i quite don’t agree with that :slight_smile: the scenes in the inn are very western-like and the directing is very precise and enjoyable. it is not a crazy bloody slapstick like the late Chang Cheh’s nor a perfect martial art film like it’s sequel Golden Swallow (again directed by Chang Cheh…) still King Hu was quite an impressive director…

[quote=“tonyanthony”]
i quite don’t agree with that :slight_smile: the scenes in the inn are very western-like and the directing is very precise and enjoyable. it is not a crazy bloody slapstick like the late Chang Cheh’s nor a perfect martial art film like it’s sequel Golden Swallow (again directed by Chang Cheh…) still King Hu was quite an impressive director…
[/quote]

I know the film is generally considered a great classic and “drag” was maybe a bad choise of word but I do recall enjoying the second half notably more than the first. Which doesn’t mean I didn’t enjoy the first of course. But I’m hardly the Shaw expert of the board, I’ve only seen a handful of Shaw films actually.

by the end of the day i agree with you nothing beats the (new) one-armed swordsman :wink:

[quote=“tonyanthony”]
by the end of the day i agree with you nothing beats the (new) one-armed swordsman :wink:
[/quote]

oh yeah, The One Armed Swordsman is so kick ass, the sequel is great too and The New One Armed Swordsman is the best of them all and one of my definitive Shaw favourites. The poster is so fantastic too: <LINK_TEXT text=“http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v716/ … rdsman.jpg”>http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v716/HungFist/NewOneArmedSwordsman.jpg</LINK_TEXT>

Sorry for off topic, we better get back to Quentin and Come Drink With Me. If the movie ever gets made it will be very interesting to see who he’s gonna choose for the leading role. Hopefully no half american half asian actress. He should look for some totally unknown young chinese actress who doesn’t speak a word of english… someone with a ballet dancer background preferrably ;D

when he was talking about doing his kung-fu film after kill bill I heard that he wanted to cast the French/Chinese actress who is in Eric and Ramzy’s spy spoof “Agent Zero” (which is dogmeat by the way)

tarantino said in my interview, that if he’s doing something before IB, then it’s because he’s not ready for it. coward. hahaha, but well, he likes his shaw brothers

[quote=“Sebastian”]
tarantino said in my interview, that if he’s doing something before IB, then it’s because he’s not ready for it. coward. hahaha, but well, he likes his shaw brothers
[/quote]

the whole “if you see me doing smg else than IB…”? it does ring a bell :slight_smile: