Quentin Tarantino Presents: The Protector

I was just watching a commercial for Tony Jaa’s new film The Protector and it said Quentin Tarantino Presents: Tony Jaa in The Protector. Now about a week ago I saw a commercial for it and there was no mention of QT presenting it. Are the Weinstein’s using QTs name just to draw more people to these movies? I dont have a problem with it really, but it seems like they throw QTs name on every Asian action film that comes out these days. Weird.

Well… it’s not really that weird. QT’s name has become really valuble when it comes to marketing. But yeah, I think it’s a bit annoying that they use his name for commercial purposes on a movie that he has nothing to do with in the first place.

It’s more annoying for the director who made the movie than it is for the general public really. I’d be highly pissed if I directed a film and my name was written in a font ten times smaller than QT’s.

[quote=“mushroomcloud”]
Well… it’s not really that weird.[/quote]

Sorry, I meant it was weird that his name wasnt used on the first commercial I saw. Suddenly it was added at the last minute it seems.

What pisses me off is that as someone who works in a video store, you get people who think that Tarantino directed Hostel and such. They say things like, “well, it is Tarantino” and “Tarantino’s new film”. I find it totally fucking annoying. They must think that Tarantino is extremely prolific. Plus, no offense to the other directors, but their films tend not to be as groundbreaking or as good as Tarantino’s. That doesn’t stand for all of the ones he has presented, but for most.

But I do feel sorry for Avery with his Killing Zoe dvd case. Tarantino’s name is all over the thing. All he wants is to be his own director. It must be very annoying.

it’s because the Weinstein Co is publishing it, and I guess they have a deal with QT where they can put his name on it if its an indie/asian film.

just ignore that people, and watch tony jaa kick some major as in what is also called “tom jum goong” or something like that

[quote=“Angel”]
What pisses me off is that as someone who works in a video store, you get people who think that Tarantino directed Hostel and such. They say things like, “well, it is Tarantino” and “Tarantino’s new film”. I find it totally fucking annoying. They must think that Tarantino is extremely prolific. Plus, no offense to the other directors, but their films tend not to be as groundbreaking or as good as Tarantino’s. That doesn’t stand for all of the ones he has presented, but for most.
[/quote]

Hahahahahahahaha, WOW…they must be retarded. WOW.

This movie is going to rock! Ong Bak is easily one of the best martial arts movies ever made. Someone said its as good as 80’s hk action, well I’d like the names of these films if thats so because I truly doubt that. I love the fact that they actually hit people. Thats bleeding for your art.

Ong Bak was great in that I, as an asian action film fan, found it thoroughly exciting and also a friend of mine, who is into martial arts, really enjoyed it too and he always gets roped into those crappy films like Pit Fighter that are just there too showcase an individual’s martial arts skills. Ong Bak managed to have gritty realistic martial arts while still being an entertaining film. Sounds easy, but nowadays it is quite rare.

[quote=“Mr. Blonde’s Accomplice”]
Hahahahahahahaha, WOW…they must be retarded. WOW.
[/quote]

Not nearly as retarded as the people who think that Hero was a Quentin Tarantino film. It’s in Chinese for Christ’s sake.

Somebody said that Once Upon a time in Mexico was QT to me once. I stared at them blankly and then said do you get out much?

And I hate it when they blah blah presents blah blah. You would think the DIrector of the movie presents it right? lol

Quentin Tarantino Presents Pulp Fiction

Quentin Tarantino Presents Reservoir Dogs

Quentin Tarantino Presents Kill Bill

Quentin Tarantino Presents Jackie Brown

I like that more than

Quentin Tarantino Presents a movie he had nothing to do with.

Yeah, but most of the time Quentin has a part in getting the film here as it was and he did do some small things on Hostel. But, it still doesn’t make any real sense.

The film’s name is actually Tom Yum Goong, while The Protector was some Jackie Chan American flick from the 80’s with Danny Aielo. But Harvey hates Asians, so he hopes to ruin their films, either through crappy names or through crappy ad campaigns. In this case, he appears to have done both, since he advertised the film at the last minute.

[quote=“WinslowLeach”]
Sorry, I meant it was weird that his name wasnt used on the first commercial I saw. Suddenly it was added at the last minute it seems.
[/quote]

I was wondering the same shit.

Wow, the trailer for this one fucking rocks. I hope the movie lives up to it.

Speaking of this, I just got an older Tony Jaa film called Spirited Killer on DVD. Looks cool. Ã?

[quote=“GATSU”]
The film’s name is actually Tom Yum Goong, while The Protector was some Jackie Chan American flick from the 80’s with Danny Aielo.
[/quote]

Yeah, when I saw the thread title I immediately thought of the Jackie Chan one. They’ve played it on SBS a couple of times. The chinese track with subtitles.

[quote=“Scarface”]
Wow, the trailer for this one fucking rocks. I hope the movie lives up to it.
[/quote]

Me too.

Jackie Chan’s Protector had to be his worst action kung fu movie. I’d rather watch The Medallion again. The only good part is when he flip kicks the lightbulb.

Dude, I liked the Protector. Nowhere near his best at all, but it entertained me.

I live in Thailand so I saw this almost a year ago now, I met Tony Jaa or Jaa Panom as he is called here, such a great guy. Ong Bak was better though. He is currently shooting the sequel, Ong Bak 2 which he himself is directing. Also check out Tabunfire or “dynamite warrior”, a thai indie actioner coming out december 5th here, distribution rights for north america has been bought.