Weinstein Co.'s "Dragon Dynasty" label (with QT)

Hoxes, rumors, gossip, goings-on, scoop, links, tv, banter....
Hung Fist
Fucking Professional

Re: Weinstein Co.'s "Dragon Dynasty" label (with QT)

Post by Hung Fist » Sat Jul 21, 2007 3:10 pm

Brief info on DD titles so far. This is what I’ve read and heard and can remember, I don’t own any DD titles myself.

Tom Yum Goong: Orig. Version should be fine. Avoid the US cut. Both versions are included. Thai and UK discs should be fine as well. French release appears to be Besson crap once again.

Seven Swords: Uncut, probably fine. HK disc should be fine as well. Avoid the UK disc, it’s a shorter cut.

Police Story: The transfer is worse than the HK disc by IVL. Original mono may be out of sync (IVL is for sure). HKL is fine, but not outstanding. The transfer is less â€

Hung Fist
Fucking Professional

Post by Hung Fist » Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:44 pm

Review for John Woo's masterpiece Last Hurrah for Chivalry:
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDRevie ... ivalry.htm

gonna wait for HKL vs DD comparison.

me
Fucking Professional

Post by me » Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:53 pm

DD's Hard Boiled looks really good(love the menus)

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDCompar ... boiled.htm

me
Fucking Professional

Post by me » Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:43 am

City Of Violence:  http://www.dragondynasty.com/films/show/96

Is COV any good?

Hung Fist
Fucking Professional

Post by Hung Fist » Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:18 am

me wrote: City Of Violence:  http://www.dragondynasty.com/films/show/96

Is COV any good?
slightly mixed reviews but I haven't seen anyone calling it a masterpiece. The trailers however look very good. The film is directed by Ryoo Seung-wan who did the totally over-rated Crying Fist and the pretty decent Arahan. The guy is a very talented action chroreographer but at least in Arahan much of the action was ruined with bad use of Matrix slow-mo (which never worked in The Matrix either)

topic here: http://www.tarantino.info/forum/index.p ... 953.0.html

Angel
Fucking Professional

Post by Angel » Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:16 am

Australia's Dragon Dynasty line launches August 15th: http://www.dragondynasty.com.au with:

The Protector (Tom Yum Goong)
My Young Auntie
36th Chamber Of Shaolin
One-Armed Swordsman
King Boxer (Five Fingers Of Death)
Seven Swords

Hung Fist
Fucking Professional

Post by Hung Fist » Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:29 pm

Interesting. I wonder if they'll bother doing proper pal transfers. Of course you'd expect it from a company like DD but it's not like in the HKL days when they could just port the uk disc over to au...

Hung Fist
Fucking Professional

Post by Hung Fist » Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:14 am

City of Violence DD trailer:
http://www.dragondynasty.com/films/show/96

SPECIAL FEATURES

* Disc 1
    * Feature Audio Commentaries by Director and Star Ryoo Seung-Wan and Hong Kong Cinema Expert Bey Logan
    * Disc 2
    * Deleted Scenes Alternate Scenes and Bloopers
    * Blow By Blow: A Behind -The-Scenes Exploration of the action sequences from The City of Violence
    * Two Against The Rest: The Making of The City of Violence
    * 5 Behind-The-Scenes Featurettes on the production of The City of Violence
    * Interview and Commentary on the movie's action sequences with action Director and Star Jung Doo-Hung
    * Interviews with the cast of The City of Violence
    * And much more!
Last edited by Hung Fist on Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hung Fist
Fucking Professional

Post by Hung Fist » Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:53 pm

Al Edwards / dvdmaniacs wrote: Looks like The Killer is getting a release on November 6th.

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.a ... ovie&BAB=E
- http://www.dvdmaniacs.net/forums/showth ... post486817

me
Fucking Professional

Post by me » Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:01 pm

I knew it was getting released but not this soon. Great find.

FilmGuy
Real McCoy

Post by FilmGuy » Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:31 pm

Nice! I've been waiting forever for The Killer to come out on DVD again. All I could get was a crappy DVD copy with horrible out of sync audio.

KILL BILL vol.3
Real McCoy

Post by KILL BILL vol.3 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:36 am

just bought Hard Boiled, but haven't watched it. Can't wait for The Killer, probably Woo's best. Hopefully DD will have more John Woos films like a bullet in the head and a better tomorrow. DD is doing good so far. Can't wait for more releases.

me
Fucking Professional

Post by me » Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:15 am

From what I have read DD will be releasing bullet in the head and a better tomorrow.

*G*
Fucking Professional

Post by *G* » Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:18 am

bullet in the head seems like an awesome movie from just the title.

ailemrac07
Real McCoy

Post by ailemrac07 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:41 am

'City of Violence' looks pretty decent, a blatant QT rip off, but non-the less, pretty decent, I'll have to check it out.
Last edited by ailemrac07 on Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

diceman
Basterd

Post by diceman » Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:58 am

It's everything but a QT-Rip-off, so I heard. More of a buddy-action-movie, actually.
The showdown is supposed to be pretty insane.

Hung Fist
Fucking Professional

Post by Hung Fist » Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:56 pm

ailemrac07 wrote: 'City of Violence' looks pretty decent, a blatant QT rip off, but non-the less, pretty decent, I'll have to check it out.
I don't see any QT connection

No Mercy for the Rude coming in November.

And they're also releasing Dragon Heat next month. But it's not Dragon Heat. It's actually Dragon Squad and not the Eric Kot film starring Shu Qi and Ekin Cheng. The idiot Weinsteins strike again.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/ ... italbit-20

ailemrac07
Real McCoy

Post by ailemrac07 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:24 pm

Hung Fist wrote: I don't see any QT connection
Did you see the directing style?(minus all the fighting scenes)

Hung Fist
Fucking Professional

Post by Hung Fist » Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:35 pm

ailemrac07 wrote: Did you see the directing style?(minus all the fighting scenes)
No, I didn't see the movie

moviemike
Real McCoy

Post by moviemike » Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:27 am

Isn't Quentin completely in charge of Dragon Dynasty?  So why would the "idiot" Weinsteins be blamed?  A lot of movies share the same title. 

What the fuck ever happened to Snake and Crane Arts of Shaolin?  That was supposed to come out and it didn't.  Damn it.  Must have been a rights issue.
Last edited by moviemike on Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hung Fist
Fucking Professional

Post by Hung Fist » Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:02 pm

moviemike wrote: Isn't Quentin completely in charge of Dragon Dynasty? 
You're joking, right?
moviemike wrote: So why would the "idiot" Weinsteins be blamed?  A lot of movies share the same title. 
Why can't they release films with their original titles.
moviemike wrote: What the fuck ever happened to Snake and Crane Arts of Shaolin?  That was supposed to come out and it didn't.  Damn it.  Must have been a rights issue.
Probably coming later. My guess is they're having problems with the Fortune Star dickheads (btw, DD is the only company Fortune Star hasn't screwed over yet)

moviemike
Real McCoy

Post by moviemike » Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:05 pm

If you listen to the commentaries, Quentin chooses all the films that end up on Dragon Dynasty.  If it wasn't for Quentin, not only do I think that every film on this line would be cut to hell like the Weinsteins used to do, but there probably wouldn't be a Dragon Dynasty line at all.  I'm not denying that the Weinsteins started it for Quentin, but I'm sure they did it and have left it under his control.  Handed it over to him, as it were.  They have bigger problems right now.  Like running the fucking Weinstein Company.

Dragon Heat seems to me like the only one that had its title altered.  I'm sure there's a perfectly logical explanation for it.   

I guess Quentin's the only one Fortune Star really trusts. Not to mention they must get paid BIG for their films.
Last edited by moviemike on Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hung Fist
Fucking Professional

Post by Hung Fist » Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:40 pm

moviemike wrote: If it wasn't for Quentin, not only do I think that every film on this line would be cut to hell like the Weinsteins used to do,
Maybe because their survey tells them people hate them because of what they've done, and Shaolin Soccer flopped because everybody importend the original version from overseas (their own words). And because the two biggest threats for asian movie markets in the US are bootlegs and imports (of which both beat the old weinstein / miramax / disney crap). Interestingly DD doesn't care about the bootlegs, or at least are not taking any action even after the problem has been directly pointed out to them.
moviemike wrote: I'm not refuting that the Weinsteins started it for Quentin, but I'm sure they did it and have left it under his control.  Handed it over to him, as it were.  They have bigger problems right now.  Like running the fucking Weinstein Company.
I'm still not sure if you're joking or not but QT is a film director. He does not run dvd companies. He may own one or tow, though. I'm not sure who does run DD but Brian White would be pretty high up. He probably brough a few other from the HKL team with him. That would also explain why they keep making the same mistakes as HKL did back in the days (now HKL is doing much worse actually, they've become Fortune Star's lapdog.
moviemike wrote: Dragon Heat seems to me like the only one that had its title altered.  I'm sure there's a perfectly logical explanation for it. 
S.P.L, Tom Yum Goong... the latter being especially interesting considering The Protector is a well known Jackie Chan film. And a Fortune Star film, too. They may end up releasing it. Wonder what it'll be called.
moviemike wrote: I guess Quentin's the only one Fortune Star really trusts. Not to mention they must get paid BIG for their films.
Now that's the joke of the day.

moviemike
Real McCoy

Post by moviemike » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:02 pm

NO, I am not joking around.  No, Quentin is not just a filmmaker.  He's a producer and a distributer. 

Bey Logan expressed on the commentary for The Protector/Tom Yum Goong: Quentin presents films that otherwise would not receive American distribution without his input.  He also explains why certain things that were cut out of the American release were cut, and talks about the RZA soundtrack.  And yes, The Protector is also the title of a Jackie Chan film.  I'm aware.  On the commentary Bey explains the thought process behind choosing the American title for Tom Yum Goong.  He even offered his own title for the film:  Red Scarf.  That was nixed and it became The Protector. 

On the commentary for Kill Zone/Sha Po Long, Bey Logan describes Quentin's input in the DVD line;  that he was responsible for bringing the team over that manage it in his absence.  That he chooses the films for the entire line.

On the commentaries for The One-Armed Swordsman, My Young Auntie, 36th Chamber of Shaolin, and/or King Boxer, either Dave Chute or Andy Klein will make mention and wonder why Quentin chose these four films to be the first Shaw Brothers films to be released through Dragon Dynasty. 

He did the same thing when he was the driving force behind the Rolling Thunder video collection.  He distributed Chungking Express, Switchblade Sisters, The Beyond, Sonatine, Detroit 9000, The Mighty Peking Man, Curdled, and Hardcore Logo.  He had plans to release Fist of Legend that time around, but something happened and it ended up going through Miramax and was cut and botched up.  He has gotten a second chance to release it the way it deserves to be released in America and abroad with Dragon Dynasty. 

If the Fillipinos respect Quentin enough to give him a Lifetime Achievement Award for his respect for Fillipino cinema, than I am positive that he is respected by many different studios and video distributers.  This might explain his relationship with Fortune Star.
Last edited by moviemike on Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hung Fist
Fucking Professional

Post by Hung Fist » Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:15 pm

You know more about Quentin's participation than I do, I see.

But I have to warn you about Bey Logan, he's a very nice guy but doesn't get nearly all the "facts" right on his commentaries. And him defending the US cuts (already before DD existed) also hurt his reputation.

But like I said, kudos to DD for being only company so far that has managed to get correct source materials from Fortune Star every time and not the crap everyone else has been receiving from time to time (even the great HK Video was fooled once)

moviemike
Real McCoy

Post by moviemike » Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:45 pm

When it comes to trivia, I know Bey may  not be 100% right, but he's close it.  For example, he did get a little, and I say little, help from Kirk Wong on Crime Story.

Hung Fist
Fucking Professional

Post by Hung Fist » Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:51 pm

He lost some of his fans after Bullet in the Head commentary where he apparenty got half of the big facts wrong, including which is Woo's preferred version. But, if you can get past things like that, his commentaries are very entertaining. And he's a nice guy too. I actually emailed him once and got a very friendly reply, too.

moviemike
Real McCoy

Post by moviemike » Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:57 pm

When it comes to the way the company is run, I can only say someone involved in the business should know how it's run, but... having said that... I saw a documentary called the Art of Action, narrated by Samuel L. Jackson.  There was a moment where Lau Kar Leung demonstrated the use of weapons, which included a spear with a red mesh under the tip he called a bloodguard.  When you pierce your opponent, the mesh is supposed to keep the blood out of your face.  On the Last Hurrah for Chivalry disc, there is a featurette where Bey does the same thing, but when he gets to the spear, he just mentions the mesh is there to disorient an opponent.  Its safe for me to say that it can do both, but I would have wished he could have cleared what Master Leung said. 

Angel
Fucking Professional

Post by Angel » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:40 am

Hung Fist wrote: S.P.L, Tom Yum Goong... the latter being especially interesting considering The Protector is a well known Jackie Chan film. And a Fortune Star film, too. They may end up releasing it. Wonder what it'll be called.
I personally think that Killzone sounds stupid. There wasn't any reason to change the title. EE just released it as SPL and it worked well enough. ....And the Protector... I don't get it. Why?
ailemrac07 wrote: Did you see the directing style?(minus all the fighting scenes)
I saw it on the cinema screen and I didn't see the big Tarantino connection. Pretty much all crime films since Dogs have Tarantino influence in them whether they try to copy him or not. City On Violence is a pretty different film though. It's pacing is nothing like QT.
Last edited by Angel on Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.