True Romance - final monologue

Hey…I’m new here.

I happen to love this piece of dialogue. I think it caps it off well and it’s emotional to boot. Does anyone know if Tarantino wrote it? I know he probably had already sold the script, but I’m curious as to how much he was consulted about the changed ending.

Alabama: Amid the chaos of that day, when all I could hear was the thunder of gunshots, and all I could smell was the violence in the air, I look back and am amazed that my thoughts were so clear and true, that three words went through my mind endlessly, repeating themselves like a broken record: you’re so cool, you’re so cool, you’re so cool. And sometimes Clarence asks me what I would have done if he had died, if that bullet had been two inches more to the left. To this, I always smile, as if I’m not going to satisfy him with a response. But I always do. I tell him of how I would want to die, but that the anguish and the want of death would fade like the stars at dawn, and that things would be much as they are now. Perhaps. Except maybe I wouldn’t have named our son Elvis.

According to what i’ve seen on the special feature DVD of True Romance, this part was writen by the director, not Quentin (althought i’m not 100% sure on this)

What i know 100% sure is there were two separates endings produced, in “any” case:

1-Normal one: Clarence make out of the hotel alive with Alabama thus giving us the sequence you were talking about.

2-Quentin’s one:—Spoiler warning---- Clarence gets kill and Alabama find herself alone, without him, without the money and without the drugs.

Actually, In the screenplay Clerence dies, and Alabama does get the money. She shoots a couple of dudes on the way out. Here is a link to the screenplay written by Q.T. It jumps around a little more time wise (Ala “Pulp”). It’s a great read for any “True Romance” fan.

http://www.tarantino.info/screenplays.htm

I think it would have been cool if they had put both endings on the SE DVD. That would have been cool to watch.

PULP DOG

i think i remember reading somewhere they paid laurence bender about $1000 to rewrite the end but i’m not too sure if this is accurate

[quote=“Cap. Peachfuzz”]
I think it would have been cool if they had put both endings on the SE DVD. That would have been cool to watch.[/quote]

The “QT ending” wasn’t shot, was it?

yes it was shot

Oh, so ok, then it would have been very cool seeing it on the DVD. I am very interested in it.

it is on the DVD. the director’s cut has the “good end” (tony scott) and the other end was also shot.

Yeah QT ending is on the dvd but its not completly finish, but still good and worth watching.

[quote=“The Seb”]
it is on the DVD. the director’s cut has the “good end” (tony scott) and the other end was also shot.
[/quote]

O fuck. Sorry. I am not informed about the foreign TR DVD that well. I own the bad german (uncut) Version. I think about buying the british one. Or is the american more worth buying? Or are they the same?

almost the same. get the british one, its cheaper