Tarantino cut of True Romance?

With the True Romance Special edition out I think someone should make a Tarantino Cut of the movie. Tony Scotts version is very close to the Tarantino script but there are also differences. You just need to include the deleted scenes from the DVD (another Christopher Walker scene, the ending where Clarence dies and so on) and to rearrange some scenes so the movie plays with Time just like Tarantinos script. This would be the ultimate version of True Romance then. Or does this version already exist as a bootleg and is available for download ? :slight_smile:

Mehā€¦a lot of the extra scenes were unneeded. Clarence should have died, and the ā€œPussy eatingā€ conversation and Clarence almost backing out of the meeting in front of the hotel should have both been left in, but everything else that got cut (particularly the Walken scene) was really unneeded, and probably would have eventually been cut by Tarantino himself if he had been the director.

I would like to have seen the movie reordered like Tarantino planned, but only as a gag. I think the story actually benefitted from being structured in sequential order.

I have the Tarantino cut of the movie. Its called the Unrated Directorā€™s cut edition! Tarantino said in his commentary that the way True Romance is right now is the way he wants it. He couldnā€™t even imagine the movie any different than the way it is now. He only mentioned his original script had it out of order, and Clarence dies. But in the end, this is exactly how he wanted it. Itā€™s already the Tarantino cut, technically.

[quote]I have the Tarantino cut of the movie. Its called the Unrated Directorā€™s cut edition! Tarantino said in his commentary that the way True Romance is right now is the way he wants it. He couldnā€™t even imagine the movie any different than the way it is now. He only mentioned his original script had it out of order, and Clarence dies. But in the end, this is exactly how he wanted it. Itā€™s already the Tarantino cut, technically.[/quote]

Not entirely. He mentions, I think, at least once or twice having wanted the entire ā€œpussy conversationā€ included as well as the scene where Clarence acts like heā€™s going to leave, but then turns around and goes back in, anyway. The dialogue in that scene, which was cut, actually plays a part into Alabamaā€™s rant in the Tarantino ending - the whole ā€œI told you I could walk awayā€ line or whatever it was.

True Romance to me is the best and favorite of QT screenplays. I have read the original screenplay to True Romance (the one with the story structure like that of Pulp Fiction).

And I love this type of act/story structure jumping all over the place. Havin said that. I wouldnā€™t want to see another cut of True Romance to be re-edited to fit the original version of the screenplay.

dude, it is NOT a Tarantino movie. Tony Scott is the director,so the only directorā€™s cut there can be, is a cut that HE wants. And if Tarantino sais he likes that then you as a fanboy should agree to that.

what sense does it make to cut a movie so much around that it resembles what the writer wanted? the director makes a movie. period. if you dont like the movie the way it is, get some editing software and make yourself your own bootleg, but youā€™ll be the only one watching that stuff then

[quote]And if Tarantino sais he likes that then you as a fanboy should agree to that.
[/quote]

Uh no, we shouldnā€™tā€¦thatā€™s ToothPickVicVegaā€™s jobā€¦to do NOTHING but agree on what Tarantino says and does.

This is BS, just cause Tarantino says something WE as FANS have to agree? No. thats shit. I donā€™t agree on everything Tarantino says and I doubt anyone truely deep down does. And if you do, then you have no personality and have become a tool of society.

If someone doesnā€™t like the way True Romance was edited (depsite Tarantino thinking it was good) they can say whatever the FUCK they want about it.

[quote]

Uh no, we shouldnā€™tā€¦thatā€™s ToothPickVicVegaā€™s jobā€¦to do NOTHING but agree on what Tarantino says and does.

This is BS, just cause Tarantino says something WE as FANS have to agree? No. thats shit. I donā€™t agree on everything Tarantino says and I doubt anyone truely deep down does. And if you do, then you have no personality and have become a tool of society.

If someone doesnā€™t like the way True Romance was edited (depsite Tarantino thinking it was good) they can say whatever the FUCK they want about it.
[/quote]

Agreed. I'm pretty much satisfied with the way it's cut. Besides the fact that HALF OF THE PUSSY EATING SCENE IS CUT OUT, THOSE BASTARDS. Funniest scene ever.

i donā€™t think a ā€œtarantino cutā€ would make it much different.

it was pretty good to begin with, but it wouldnā€™t have been that much better with new editing.

to have tarantinoā€™s true vision of the movie, heā€™d have to direct it. that way the cinematography, actors, plotline, AND editing would be through his vision.

Even though Tarantinoā€™s thorougly satisfied with the movie, it WOULDā€™VE been different if he directed it. Everything would be pretty much the same but the thing that would stand out most would be the fact that itā€™d be out of order like Pulp and Kill Bill. The ā€œfeelā€ would be different.

probably better music, tooā€¦no problem with the ā€˜badlandsā€™ theme but I hate that ā€œWounded Birdā€ song that is playing the first time Clearnce and Alabama have sexā€¦it just ruins the scene for me

Donā€™t forget the shitty ass 80ā€™s rock music. That drum shit they were playing during the final shootout scene was fuckinā€™ annoying too.

1 Like

What are you talking about? I loved the music in True Romance, all of it.

[quote]What are you talking about? I loved the music in True Romance, all of it.[/quote]

That's maybe because you grew up with 80's music and you liked it. I'm guessing your a bit older than I am.

I love TR as it isā€¦but I think it would rock if QT had made itā€¦hearing him talking about the cut he would have madeā€¦it sounds just really goodā€¦

but like he saysā€¦what done is doneā€¦scott did it in his own way and did a fucking great jobā€¦ 8)

Has anybody seen this?

The Pirate Bay - The galaxy's most resilient bittorrent site

A fan re-edited the entire movie to resemble Tarantinoā€™s original script! Iā€™ve been wanting to see this for ages, finally gave up looking, and then just happened to stumble onto it at a screenplay forum I frequent.

Iā€™m downloading it right now but itā€™s got about an hour to go just for the first half so I probly wonā€™t get around to watching it tonight. When I do Iā€™ll make sure to give a little review.

Great find Dex, and thanks for the heads up! Iā€™m downloading it right now

weā€™ve had this discussion before but here we goā€¦

I think this is total B.S.

out of what justification/reason does someone takes somebody elseā€™s perfectly fine movie and re-edit it to fit what they think is what Tarantino intended, just because according to their version now the sequence of scenes roughly fits the original script? Thatā€™s ridiculous, totally ridiculous. whoever made this ā€œtarantino cutā€, which by itself is a description that makes me vomit, has to get it into their fucking head that Tarantino sold this script and somebody else made the movie, and Tarantino not only approved of the final product he also likes it. period. end of story. everything elseā€¦ ridiculous. who cares about this fan edit, seriously, itā€™s NOT a ā€œTarantinoā€ cut, because it just isnā€™t

I canā€™t think of a good reason not to watch it, it can be fun

edit: I watched it (skipped some parts) and I didnā€™t enjoy it as much as I thought I would. I guess because I watched the original movie so many times I just canā€™t bear watching a re-cut version made by a fan. And it may respect the scenes order as they appear in the script, but there are a lot of QT stuff that was never shot or edited. I have to say Iā€™m pretty sure True Romance wouldnā€™t have looked anywhere near that fan made version if QT had directed it.

[quote=ā€œSebastianā€]
weā€™ve had this discussion before but here we goā€¦

I think this is total B.S.

out of what justification/reason does someone takes somebody elseā€™s perfectly fine movie and re-edit it to fit what they think is what Tarantino intended, just because according to their version now the sequence of scenes roughly fits the original script? Thatā€™s ridiculous, totally ridiculous. whoever made this ā€œtarantino cutā€, which by itself is a description that makes me vomit, has to get it into their fucking head that Tarantino sold this script and somebody else made the movie, and Tarantino not only approved of the final product he also likes it. period. end of story. everything elseā€¦ ridiculous. who cares about this fan edit, seriously, itā€™s NOT a ā€œTarantinoā€ cut, because it just isnā€™t
[/quote]

DJā€™s make remixes of songs all the time, comic book artists draw other peopleā€™s character and put them in their portfolio, why canā€™t that be done with movies? Especially with advances in consumer technology. Itā€™s not like this guy is getting rich off somebody elseā€™s work. Fan edits like this are actually becoming quite common in film schools. I kind of think of it as FanFiction for editors.

Heā€™s not calling it the Tarantino cut because itā€™s what the film would look like if Tarantino directed it. Heā€™s calling it that because it was his attempt to put the movie into Tarantinoā€™s ā€œnon-linearā€ storytelling format and match the script as best he could.

I donā€™t think this is something to be taken overly seriously though. Itā€™s a kid with too much free time who read the script and wondered what it would like as a film. Instead of just wondering he went out and did his best to make it happen.

I love it when new versions of movies I love come out. Even the chronological order cut of Memento which kind of sucked. The original cut will always be there, the new version is just an opportunity to see a the film through a different lens.