True Romance movie references thread

has any one seen “amos and andrew” with nic cage and sam jackson.if so has any one noticed that the name of the dog “rommel” is also the name of Cliff Worleys (dennis hopper) dog in true romance.(and both movies have sam jackson in them.

And as side note amos and andy is also mentioned in pulp fiction when buddy holly asks Mia if see want her shake martin and lewis or amos and andy

[quote]has any one seen “amos and andrew” with nic cage and sam jackson.if so has any one noticed that the name of the dog “rommel” is also the name of Cliff Worleys (dennis hopper) dog in true romance.(and both movies have sam jackson in them.

And as side note amos and andy is also mentioned in pulp fiction  when buddy holly asks Mia if see want her shake martin and lewis or amos and andy[/quote]

Yeah ive seen it. I dont remember liking it very much.

I havent seen it enough to know the dogs name is Rommel. Interesting connection tho.

Amos & Andy was a comedy team on the radio in the fourties. That was the reference in PF, I believe.

[quote]Amos & Andy was a comedy team on the radio in the fourties. That was the reference in PF, I believe. [/quote]

Yeah they were two black guys, thats why Buddy Holly asks Mia if she wants her shake Martin and Lewis (vanilla) or Amos and Andy (chocolate). She says “martin and Lewis” and she gets the vanilla shake. Although youd think she wouldve picked “Amos n Andy” since shes married to Marcellus. :slight_smile:

[quote]

Yeah they were two black guys, thats why Buddy Holly asks Mia if she wants her shake Martin and Lewis (vanilla) or Amos and Andy (chocolate). She says “martin and Lewis” and she gets the vanilla shake. Although youd think she wouldve picked “Amos n Andy” since shes married to Marcellus. :slight_smile: [/quote]

Just cause her husband is black doens’t mean she has to like chocolate shakes!

[quote] Just cause her husband is black doens’t mean she has to like chocolate shakes! [/quote]

I WAS JOKING!! JOKES, ya know? Things people with senses of humor tell.

[quote]

I WAS JOKING!!  JOKES, ya know? Things people with senses of humor tell.
[/quote]<br/>

Ok wiseguy

heh heh!

Allright, since True Romance will get its own forum category once we get the new software, I’ll start a True Romance references thread right now. There’s tons of references to other movies in True Romance. I’ll start of naming a few. Please rewatch this movie and watch out for posters hanging in the background etc.

• A Better Tomorrow 2 (plays in Clarence’s living room)
  • The Mack (plays in Drexl’s joint)
  • My Blood runs cold (poster hangs in Dick Richie’s house)

• Highway 301 (yet another poster in Dick’s appartment, a film from 1950)

• The Streetfighter
  • Sister Streetfighter
  • Return of the Streetfighter

(those play in the theater’s triple feature)

• Doctor Zivago (they talk about it, camoeing the coke)
  • Mr Majestik (Drexl calls Clarence Mr Majestik)

Now we dont wanna just list them, we wanna explain them. even a bit more than I just did.

I doubt there will be as many references in this film to others as the other QT movies do because this wasn’t directed by him.

- Apacoplypse Now (After “Apocalypse Now” I think it’s the best Vietnam movie ever.)

How could you forget The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly??

[quote]How could you forget The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly?? [/quote]

i did not “forget”, i just typed down a few while watching the movie with QT’s audio commentary on. feel free to rewatch the film and name a few others

Nobody mentioned Badlands? The whole film is practically a rip-off/homage to Badlands (even using the main theme from that flick).

1 -Isnt their a poster for Reflections in a golden eye in dick ritchies apartment?

2- Clarence mentions mad max, rio bravo and something else i cant remember when taking to lee donowitz

3- Coming home in a body bag is a reference to platoon i think (used apocalypse now stock footage for the faux dailies though)

4- mafia guy does his whole travis bickle taxi driver thing.

oh yeah… i read somewhere before that lee donowitz is just one big piss take on joel silver

here’s one I thought of, keep posting!

when Drexl plays with the lamp hangin’ fron his ceiling and makes it swing around Clarence’s face…they do exactly the same shit in Once upon a time in the West, in the bar scene at the beginning!

Thats a great one Tris! 8)

yeah I was eating dinner and looked up at the ceiling lamp, it reminded me of two scenes at the same time!

I’m sure there’s a lot more!

street fighter movies.

[quote=“Jjp”]
street fighter movies.
[/quote]
daaaaamn of course I don’t believe I fuckin’ missed that one!

Jailhouse rock, of course!

apocalypse now.