Reservoir Dogs orig DVD better then new?

Hi I have the Original Bare Bones Reservoir Dogs DVD that Artisan released in like 1998. The picture quality is great and the sound is great. It was distributed by LIVE DVD. does anyone know the one I am talking about? should I get the SE even though i already own the movie?

well LIVE is called ARTISAN now.

The old DVD has certainly the better colors (black suits ARE black there, not gray as with the S.E.)

but the old dvd does NOT have the original aspect ratio of 2.35:1

I personally don’t like the new S.E. (the 4:3 thing, the colors…) but a fan should probably get it, because I don’t think any alternatives are going to be released. Maybe in Britain some day. Aussies got an identical dvd recently… yuck

fact is, that the new Australian Special Edition is the best available:

it has the same extras as the US one, it has no 4:3 version, and a much better image: blacks are indeed black.

i will get the australian one

I just watched Reservoir Dogs the first time in my life IN 2.35:1 AND ITS GREAT!

I have the australian DVD and its a great experience to view this movie in its original aspect ration and remastered picture and dolby digital or DTS audio… great stuff.

Cool. Il have to get that. Ive only got the original.

Okay, it’s not that bad. I bought the 10th anniversary edition dreading the worst. I watched it, and it really aint that bad. Sure the colors are a little drained but it does not detract from the movie. In fact, it gives Dogs a more “gritty” look, like film noir or something. I like the look, but I do admit the “Joe’s office” scenes look a bit dark.

film noir with gray instead of black, no thank you, i stay with the australian one.

the german one will probably be the best, once it comes out.

here’s the new japanese one.

CDJapan : RESERVOIR DOGS [DTS] [Initial pressing only limited release] Movie DVD

I have both US releases, the first release IS in 2.35:1, its just not anamophic (16x9 enhanced), the SE’s colors look like shit, it looks really muddy compaired to first one, which colors are richer than Bill Gates.

Damn it, still no sign of a UK SE. I won’t buy the Aussie one for fear that a prestine UK one will grace these shores someday soon (in the next year) :wink:

[quote]Damn it, still no sign of a UK SE.  I won’t buy the Aussie one for fear that a prestine UK one will grace these shores someday soon (in the next year)  :wink:[/quote]

I highly doubt that. You make nothing wrong with the aussie one. you can wait for the german one, though, coming out in 2 weeks.

[quote]

I highly doubt that. You make nothing wrong with the aussie one. you can wait for the german one, though, coming out in 2 weeks.[/quote]
Yeah, well we don’t know either way for sure. If it’s coming out in Germany, it’ll be out in the UK in some form someday soon though.

What will the difference be betwen the German version and the Australian one?

The German DVD will be about the same as the Australian one.

Differences:

• other cover
  • Additional German language track
  • additional english and german subtitles

and I heard the picture’s supposed to be sharper.

I can tell you more in one or two weeks when it’s out.

Allrighty. That would be cool. I already have the british version, which has excellent picture quality, but I’m gonna pick this one up for the extras.

Why would the Reservoir dogs special edition DVD look so bad, why would they do that if it’s an update? I would like to see this darker version because the only version i have ever seen is the 10 year special eddition. It did look kind of graney but i thought that was the intention of Tarantino, guess not.

[quote]Why would the Reservoir dogs special edition DVD look so bad, why would they do that if it’s an update? I would like to see this darker version because the only version i have ever seen is the 10 year special eddition. It did look kind of graney but i thought that was the intention of Tarantino, guess not. [/quote]

I prefer the s.e, I don’t know why…

Starkey: if you want the right colors, go for either the british, the australian or the german DVD :wink:

https://wiki.tarantino.info/index.php/Reservoir_Dogs_BluRay

More details are emerging and the official covers are known. Here is the Best Buy exclusive one for example: