Surf music

i don’t know if this has been brought up yet, but anyone looking for other music by the “centurians” who did the sweeet haunting surf music while travolta was shooting up wont find anything. thats because all the cds, even the new ones that are special edition are missprints. you’d think they’d catch that. its the CENTURIONS. and they have a couple of cd’s you can buy.

does anyone have a favorite surf song from any of his movies? i think i might by partial to “surf rider” at the end of pulp fiction, or “out of limits”

Hey, austinmiller, have you heard of The Atlantics? They’re an Australian band and were one of the first bands to play surf music. I really like their stuff. Here’s a link to their website, if you’re interested http://www.theatlantics.com/

I love surf music too. Some other great classic surf bands to check out:

The Lively Ones

Dick Dale and his Del Tones

The Ventures

The Surfaris

The Marketts

Link Wray

Duane Eddy

check out www.sundazed.com they put out all kinds of very cool surf bands from the 60s. the best re-release record label ever. way better than rhino… minus the mst3k dvds/ramones.

my favorite surf bands are

dick dale

tornadoes

eddie and the showmen (lead guitarist from belairs new band)

actually the best surf stuff out there usually is small 1 hit wonders who only put out maybe 1 record. check out sundazed “legends of surf guitar” series, its the best surf compilations ever made. and im dead serious. EVER!

Thanks for the link, it’s a cool site.

I don’t really have any other favourite surf bands. I just listen to this compilation album that I have.

Also check out “Monte Carlo Nights” by Elliot Easton’s Tiki Gods from the Jackie Brown soundtrack. Awesome song, it’s as good as “Misirlou” and “Surf Rider” from Pulp!

[quote]I love surf music too. Some other great classic surf bands to check out:

The Lively Ones

The Ventures

The Surfaris

The Marketts

Link Wray

Duane Eddy
[/quote]
alright toothpick! dido, dick dale and his del tones are a great band. i like the song misirlou a lot. they rock!

For recent stuff, check out The Red Elvises (They did most of the songs for the cult flick, Six-String Samurai)

Yeah, Surf sounds kick.

I just got the Dick Dale album “TRIBAL THUNDER” His new shit is better than his old. The song Nitro kicks so much ass.

[quote]For recent stuff, check out The Red Elvises (They did most of the songs for the cult flick, Six-String Samurai) [/quote]

Hah! I was just going to say them. They also do a cover of ‘Miserlou’ entitled ‘Surfing In Siberia’. You can download their music at their site http://www.redelvises.com

Im a huge fan of The Misfits and Samhain and other horror based music and awhile ago i just found this band, Gein and the Graverobbers, they’re a band that mixes the old horror feel of The Misfits with the style and sound of The Ventures its soooo great.

Check em out at Geinandthegraverobbers.com

doh, sorry about that im not sure how to link here, but i guess youll just have to quit being so lzy and manually type it in.

I like wierd covers of surf music.

Michael Viner’s Incredible Bongo Band’s “Apache” is worth checking out if you like old school rap and hip hop. The opening beat (and break) has been sampled more than Chuck D’s "Bass! How low can you go?"

Anthrax’s speedmetal version of “Pipeline” kicks total ass.

The other side of the coin: Fat Boys and Beach Boys “Wipeout” should be sent down a memory hole.

this topic hasn’t been touched in a while, i found this little bit whilst browsing through a web site for Boyd Rice:

Q: “Is it true that Boyd Rice was responsible for the appearance of surf music in the film Pulp Fiction?�

A: Yes and no. When making Pulp Fiction, Quentin Tarantino decided that he wanted the soundtrack to be composed mostly of old surf songs – but he didn’t know anything about surf music. While discussing this with fellow director Allison Anders, she suggested he contact Boyd Rice, who she told him knew quite a bit about surf music. So, Rice made Tarantino a mix-tape of what he considered to be some of the best surf songs; and many of those songs, including Dick Dale’s “Miserlou,� appeared in the film – which then sparked a massive revival of interest in surf music.

[quote=“Toothpick_Vic_Vega”]
I love surf music too. Some other great classic surf bands to check out:

The Lively Ones

The Ventures

The Surfaris

The Marketts

Link Wray

Duane Eddy

[/quote]

Duane Eddy rocks!!! Thanks toothpick.

Tarantino should use one of his songs. His version of Ghost Riders in the Sky is very cinematic music.

I love surf music since pulp adn especially Bullwinkle part 2, but other than that I don’t like much from them. Really turned me on to the whole genre though. Quentin was right, it’s basically Morricone with a twist.

You don’t like the Beach Boys? WTF is wrong with you?