Why KB bare-bones DVDs from Miramax [diskussion]

I’ll admit it, I’ve not bought them… they’re just crap aren’t they? I mean, you’d have to have a big boner for these movies to by the sets as they are. How many actually have them and why? I’d wait for the inevitable full scale release(s). Why support Miramax, they’ll only do it again if you bought vol1 and are buying vol.2 in there current states.

Once Upon a Time In Mexico isn’t a perfect release but at least it has some decent things on it. Couldn’t Quentin have done even a couple of worthy things to prepare people for the goodness to follow on? hmm. hhmmm indeeed.

hey man, don’t knock miramax. they’re part of the reason why we have QT movies. Okay, Miramax has fucked us in the ass on many occasions, (10th year anniversary of reservoir dogs, pulp fiction ultimate collection…) But most of the movies they’ve produced have turned out to be good. So lets support them, they’re doing a good job.

But i do have to agree with you. wait till the full boxed version of Kill Bill, it’ll have a lot more extras.

1) Miramax has NOTHING to do with Reservoir Dogs

2) Thousands of releases these days are bare bones. The Kill Bill DVDs have decent picture and sound quality, have trailers and some minutes of extras. That’s more than the average DVD from MGM or Paramount

Your kidding right? Miramaxe are a bunch of fuckheads. The only good thing they’ve done is let QT make his movies. But as far as companies go they suck badly. Do you even know the shit theyve done to asian movies in the US and other parts around the world? fuck Miramaxe.

[quote]Miramax has NOTHING to do with Reservoir Dogs [/quote]my bad, sorry Seb. i just associate miramax with all of qt’s movies

Fuck MGM and Paramount!

slowly, cowboy

MGM is one of the greatest hollywood studios alive. they usually release bare-bones DVDs but some of the hottest Special Edtions the past some years came from MGM

• the great escape
  • the good bad and the ugly
  • raging bull

etc

Paramount also
  • once upon a time in the west

etc…

no studio is bad all together. but miramax seems to be especially FUCKED up when it comes to ruining asian movies, thats right.

[quote]1) Miramax has NOTHING to do with Reservoir Dogs

2) Thousands of releases these days are bare bones. The Kill Bill DVDs have decent picture and sound quality, have trailers and some minutes of extras. That’s more than the average DVD from MGM or Paramount[/quote]

1) You're wrong, Sebbie. Mirimax has everything to do with Reservoir Dogs. Hence the "A Mirimax film" tag on the front. It's distributed by Artisan, but its 100% Mirimax's.

2) Wrong again, Sebster. You'll rarely find a dvd release that is bare bones. Nowadays it's a standard to have some kind of extras on the disc, whether it be a commentary or behind the scenes shit. Dvd's will always have some kind of extras these days, they outnumber bare bones releases like ballpark 25:1 if not more.

the Kill Bill vol 1 and 2 releases arent even bare bones for that matter they have behind the scenes footage and shit

Well I will say prowdly I now love both volumes of Kill Bill. I have bought the Volume 1 bare bons and will buy the volume 2 bare bones DVD on August 16th. I like the films too much to have to wait months or even a year or more for a ‘special edition’ DVD. Saying that, I will also buy those special editions. I mean the money i spend on the bare bones would have gone towards some other shit anyway so!

[quote]Saying that, I will also buy those special editions. I mean the money i spend on the bare bones would have gone towards some other shit anyway so![/quote]
Yeah, like some decent discs …

[quote]

1. You’re wrong, Sebbie. Mirimax has everything to do with Reservoir Dogs. Hence the “A Mirimax film” tag on the front. It’s distributed by Artisan, but its 100% Mirimax’s.

2. Wrong again, Sebster. You’ll rarely find a dvd release that is bare bones. Nowadays it’s a standard to have some kind of extras on the disc, whether it be a commentary or behind the scenes shit. Dvd’s will always have some kind of extras these days, they outnumber bare bones releases like ballpark 25:1 if not more.

the Kill Bill vol 1 and 2 releases arent even bare bones for that matter they have behind the scenes footage and shit
    [/quote]

1) Miramax is just the distributor. They didnt have much to do with the Film, it was a Live Entertainment and Dog Eat Dog production.

2) everything that has just a trailer and a little featurette is a bare bones release to me. and really there are still a lot of discs that dont have more than a fistful of extras.

yeah, you are right, in this respect, the kill bill discs aren't bare bones at all. i mean, fuck, look at the first editions of pulp or dogs or so... they were bare-bare bones

[quote]
Yeah, like some decent discs …[/quote]

I doubt that very much seen as all the DVDs I want, I have. Although I do have a keen interest on the new Enter The Dragon Special Edition DVD.

Miramax ain’t the only company that’s re-hashing classic movies to beef’ed-up “DvD Boxed-Sets”. Look at Scorsese’s new ones coming out again (“Goodfellas”, “Mean Streets”) and even “The Lost Boys” is getting the re-hash treatment by Warner Bros.

Miramax is an excellent film company, look at “Chasing Amy”, “Trainspotting”, “The Crow” (actually “Dimension”, a side-track to Miramax), “Four Rooms”, and many more.

well this is a topic in the KB board for the DVD stuff.

But this Miramax thing is really more than interessting.

Do you think I should open a topic about Miramax in the Chat board, so we can discuss our opinion about the company?

I bought Vol. 1 when it came out, and Vol. 2 the day it was released as well. I know that Miramax will release a full-blown DVD with the two volumes combined, and I’m sure I’ll buy that one too. But the reason I bought the DVD’s as separate volumes is that when the combined version is released, it will be edited slightly differently, with some new footage, some footage taken out, etc. While that will be an exciting new way to experience the movie, my initial impression of the “Kill Bill” saga was the way it was presented in theaters, in two separate versions, and I wanted to be able to experience the film that way as well.

I understand, of course, that many people will find it pointless to buy both volumes AND a combined feature version later in the year, so to those people I would say… don’t buy them. Doesn’t hurt my feelings any! :wink:

Ya know, we have really been spoiled by DVD’s. Remember when just getting the movie and nothing else on VHS was great? We still do buy DVD’s for the movies right? Don’t get me wrong, extra’s for something as great as Kill Bill would be awesome, but c’mon, the movies speak for themselves and until something better comes out (and trust me I can’t wait till it does), I will treasure my Kill Bill Volume 1 and 2 DVD’s cause it’s a great film that doesn’t really need anything else to improve it.

[quote=“sickboy_xl”]
Ya know, we have really been spoiled by DVD’s. Remember when just getting the movie and nothing else on VHS was great? We still do buy DVD’s for the movies right? Don’t get me wrong, extra’s for something as great as Kill Bill would be awesome, but c’mon, the movies speak for themselves and until something better comes out (and trust me I can’t wait till it does), I will treasure my Kill Bill Volume 1 and 2 DVD’s cause it’s a great film that doesn’t really need anything else to improve it.
[/quote]
That’s what I was thinking. What ever happened to buyimg a movie for the MOVIE. Who really cares if we don’t get half a day of Quentin doing the same interview, but with different scenes from the moive spliced into the “documentary”. Who really cares if we don’t get several hours of the cast saying “Oh…there’s something about Kill Bill and QT…it’s great”. Most of the people complaining about the lack of these extras already know everything that would be said anyway.

I enjoy watching extras, but it’s not what makes me buy a dvd in the first place. If it’s got extras then great! If not, who cares? I want to watch the movie!

[quote=“Evilio”]
That’s what I was thinking. What ever happened to buyimg a movie for the MOVIE. Who really cares if we don’t get half a day of Quentin doing the same interview, but with different scenes from the moive spliced into the “documentary”. Who really cares if we don’t get several hours of the cast saying “Oh…there’s something about Kill Bill and QT…it’s great”. Most of the people complaining about the lack of these extras already know everything that would be said anyway.
[/quote]
Well man usually ether people rent or go to the theature to see before buying. Besides imagine kev Smith’s DVD’s without commentary,It is fun to learn there influences and the making of. Sometimes it is fun to watch your favorite movies to get a king’s treatment on DVD.

(just a side question)

isn’t dog eat dog Michael Moore’s company? I think it is because like it appears on his films and I have not seen it on any other films. If I am wrong feel free to correct me

[quote=“cinemanut”]
(just a side question)

isn’t dog eat dog Michael Moore’s company? I think it is because like it appears on his films and I have not seen it on any other films. If I am wrong feel free to correct me
[/quote]

Yes it is Michael Moore’s production company :slight_smile: