[Reviews] Volume 1 DVD Review collection topic

Kill Bill DVD and video section, also deals with version comparisons
Joe_Banana

Re: Kill Bill Vol1 DVD Review topic

Post by Joe_Banana » Fri Apr 09, 2004 7:09 am

Call me old fashion, but I don't buy DVD's for the extras, I buy it for the movie.. if they have interesting features I consider it a bonus. how some of you people survived the Vhs era I'm not entirely sure..
Why would I pay 60 bucks for two movies, when eventually I'd be able to buy both UNRATED movies with tons of extras and commentary tracks, for about the same price?

Scarface
Fucking Professional

Post by Scarface » Fri Apr 09, 2004 6:13 pm

Ok, I just managed to rent the dvd and took a quick look at it. Here are the answers to your doubts:

- The 22 minute Kill Bill Featurette is the exact same one that was shown on Bravo and which can be found at the moviebox for quite some time now (the one which is divided in four downloadable parts for those of you who don't remember).

- The 5,6,7,8's performance lasts about 5 minutes. The performance was most probably directed by Quentin himself, as the band is seen playing in the House of Blue Leaves in front of people dancing to their tunes, just like in the movie. At one point, you can even see O-Ren, GoGo and company passing in the background, which was actually pretty cool.

- The trailers compromise all of QT films, including the Kill Bill Vol. 1 theatrical and bootleg trailer, and the Vol.2 teaser.

- The interactive menu is really cool, having Twisted Nerve and Battle Without Honor playing in the main menu and other songs on subsequent menus.

- The Languages options are English, English DTS, and French.

- The Subtitles options are English, Spanish, Japanese, Korean and Traditional Chinese.

- From the few scenes I've seen, the picture quality is crystal clear and the audio is pretty good too.

There you go, I think I covered just about everything.
Last edited by Scarface on Fri Apr 09, 2004 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ringo

Post by Ringo » Fri Apr 09, 2004 8:15 pm

sweet!

superflyTNT
Hard Drinker

Post by superflyTNT » Fri Apr 09, 2004 8:31 pm

- The 5,6,7,8's performance lasts about 5 minutes. The performance was most probably directed by Quentin himself, as the band is seen playing in the House of Blue Leaves in front of people dancing to their tunes, just like in the movie. At one point, you can even see O-Ren, GoGo and company passing in the background, which was actually pretty cool.
That's awesome. I thought the 5,6,7,8's performance was just some crappy video clip or something. But to be able to see the entire songs from the HOBL scene performed unedited is something i'd have expected in the special edition, as it really falls under the extra footage/deleted scenes category...
"you have a destiny: forget joy, forget sorrow, forget love and hate, forget everything except vengeance." -- Lady Snowblood

superflyTNT
Hard Drinker

Post by superflyTNT » Sat Apr 10, 2004 8:56 am

What songs do the 5.6.7.8.'s play?
"I'm Blue" and "I Walk Like Jane Mansfield".
"you have a destiny: forget joy, forget sorrow, forget love and hate, forget everything except vengeance." -- Lady Snowblood

Cottonmouth

Post by Cottonmouth » Sat Apr 10, 2004 1:36 pm

- The trailers compromise all of QT films, including the Kill Bill Vol. 1 theatrical and bootleg trailer, and the Vol.2 teaser.

- From the few scenes I've seen, the picture quality is crystal clear and the audio is pretty good too.
-5,6,7,8's perform "I'm Blue" in the actual movie, do we see Gogo searching for the Bride and Bride hanging from the roof or do we just see the band performing the song?

-When you say theatrical trailer, you mean the one that's on the official vol.1 site?

-Someone said in an earlier post that the subtitles suck. How good do you think the subtitles are?

Scarface
Fucking Professional

Post by Scarface » Sat Apr 10, 2004 8:22 pm

5,6,7,8's perform "I'm Blue" in the actual movie, do we see Gogo searching for the Bride and Bride hanging from the roof or do we just see the band performing the song?
Nope. All we see is O-Ren and her gang walking in the background and climbing up the stairs. The camera is basically always focused on the 5,6,7,8s.
When you say theatrical trailer, you mean the one that's on the official vol.1 site?
Yes.
Someone said in an earlier post that the subtitles suck. How good do you think the subtitles are?
I agree. The subtitles are a major pain in the ass. They are included on the black parts of the screen, and their font is very small. They pissed me off pretty badly actually.

JDK

Post by JDK » Sat Apr 10, 2004 10:26 pm

You can just watch it w/o the subtitles since you should already know what they mean.

FastEddie

Post by FastEddie » Sun Apr 11, 2004 2:02 am

Strange...when I watched the German rental DVD, the subtitles are clearly in the frame, just like in theater.
BTW: Of course the aspect ratio is correct, as I said before, not 1;85:1 as they announced here in Germany. Just BS.

sprouticus
Kiddo

Post by sprouticus » Sun Apr 11, 2004 2:06 am

I GOT IT!!!

my sister's friend works at blockbuster and got us each a copy.

yeah, i know this is a very meaningless post, but dude i'm fucking stoked. bwa hahaha!
ok ramblers

lets get ramblin'

Scarface
Fucking Professional

Post by Scarface » Sun Apr 11, 2004 5:08 pm

I made a slight mistake in my previous post. I meant to say that the Vol. 1 teaser trailer is included, not the theatrical one. Not that it's very important, but I wanted to clear it up anyway. And the botleg trailer fucking rocks, it was the first time I had seen it.

Scarface
Fucking Professional

Post by Scarface » Mon Apr 12, 2004 1:43 am

Sorry to double post, but I just found out that the Kill Bill dvd is currently number 1 on Amazon's Top Sellers list. Thought I'd share.  8)

Toothpick_Vic_Vega

Post by Toothpick_Vic_Vega » Mon Apr 12, 2004 2:15 am

Sorry to double post, but I just found out that the Kill Bill dvd is currently number 1 on Amazon's Top Sellers list. Thought I'd share.  8)
Man, only 2 days until that DVD is in our hands!  Awesome!

Hey young master: FUCK YOU. Who the fuck asked you about anything?

IL_Buono

Post by IL_Buono » Mon Apr 12, 2004 3:52 am

I made a slight mistake in my previous post. I meant to say that the Vol. 1 teaser trailer is included, not the theatrical one. Not that it's very important, but I wanted to clear it up anyway. And the botleg trailer fucking rocks, it was the first time I had seen it.
Are both the bootleg trailers included? They kick serious ass, but those bastards at killbill2.net took them down.

Man I hope that I can still get this on Tuesday without already having to pre-order. If I don't watch Volume 1 again before I see Volume 2, it's not gonna be as cool.

sidewinder572

Post by sidewinder572 » Mon Apr 12, 2004 5:54 am

I was all excited to get the Japanese version of Tuesday. Only to find out it doesn't come out until Thursday. So it probably won't arrive until Saturday if I'm lucky.

Dammit I can't take it
Last edited by sidewinder572 on Mon Apr 12, 2004 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

young_master
Hard Drinker

Post by young_master » Mon Apr 12, 2004 6:04 am

Hey GearBox, what the fuck?? I'm not even a part of this topic!!! You got something to say to me, quote me in the appropriate thread! Grow some fucken balls you fudge-packin' coward! I think it's time to go Jay and Silent Bob on your ass!
Last edited by young_master on Mon Apr 12, 2004 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
"How'm I gonna get a scar like that eating pussy?"

Galapogos

Post by Galapogos » Mon Apr 12, 2004 7:29 am

Yeah, the bootleg trailer on the DVD is awesome, but it has a lot of volume 2 footage.  Just a warning to all the soon-to-be owners.

Puck

Post by Puck » Mon Apr 12, 2004 7:36 am

Hey GearBox, what the fuck?? I'm not even a part of this topic!!! You got something to say to me, quote me in the appropriate thread! Grow some fucken balls you fudge-packin' coward! I think it's time to go Jay and Silent Bob on your ass!
"Sounds like somebody hasn't gotten laid in a while. This is forum about the DVD, if you don't want to participate leave the fucken room!  If you critisize everyone who complains in this forum then every topic would be useless."

You could have at least looked back a page to see what he was referring to.  ::)

Sebastian
Inglourious Basterd

Post by Sebastian » Mon Apr 12, 2004 5:01 pm

here in germany we have the rental version in videostores since april 9th

Toothpick_Vic_Vega

Post by Toothpick_Vic_Vega » Mon Apr 12, 2004 5:20 pm

here in germany we have the rental version in videostores since april 9th
Yeah, but guess what movie I'm going to BUY and OWN tomorrow. :)

IL_Buono

Post by IL_Buono » Mon Apr 12, 2004 11:32 pm

re

Yeah, but guess what movie I'm going to BUY and OWN tomorrow. :)
Love Actually?  ::)

HellHound

Post by HellHound » Tue Apr 13, 2004 3:30 am

here's the latest news

Tarantino has big plans for Kill Bill - still. Volume 2 is finished now and will be in theaters this week. Some months after, there will be normal DVD releases like with Volume 1 (where Japan got an extended cut).

this is what davisdvd.com reports:

Filmmaker Quentin Tarantino has some major plans for his latest opus, Kill Bill . While promoting the second volume of the series, opening theatrically on April 16th, Tarantino revealed that he plans to recut both films together for a special theatrical release later in the year. "We did a special version [of Volume 1] for Japan that's only been shown in Japan and Hong Kong, and I kept the rights to that," Tarantino said. "I'll put the Japanese version together [with Volume 2] like I would if it was one complete movie, and then I'll release that throughout America and Europe in arthouse engagements."

Tarantino also promises more extensive DVD plans for the revenge films. "I'm going to do a special collector's edition of both of them once I'm finished with both of them," he said. Also in the talking phase, Tarantino is considering the possibility of releasing stand-alone supplemental discs. "One of the things that I saw that I liked... was what the American Pie guys did with their 'Beneath the Crust' documentaries. I want to do the same thing [for Kill Bill]." Thanks to Tom for the scoop.

there you go right there, why shell out $20 for tis dvd when they are gonna release the japanese version along with vol 2 together? makes no sence

jonny_d

Post by jonny_d » Tue Apr 13, 2004 4:09 am

So you can watch it over and over again NOW!!! :o :D ;D

Plus im gonna get every version he relises!

Toothpick_Vic_Vega

Post by Toothpick_Vic_Vega » Tue Apr 13, 2004 4:12 am

Filmmaker Quentin Tarantino has some major plans for his latest opus, Kill Bill . While promoting the second volume of the series, opening theatrically on April 16th, Tarantino revealed that he plans to recut both films together for a special theatrical release later in the year. "We did a special version [of Volume 1] for Japan that's only been shown in Japan and Hong Kong, and I kept the rights to that," Tarantino said. "I'll put the Japanese version together [with Volume 2] like I would if it was one complete movie, and then I'll release that throughout America and Europe in arthouse engagements."
What I'm hoping is that QT releases Kill Bill The Complete Epic during the summer so we can see it at drive ins. It would rock if that happened. 8)

JKiller

Post by JKiller » Tue Apr 13, 2004 4:33 am

I had no problem with buying both volumes and then getting the box set, but the extras-only DVD is a BAD idea.  That's taking it too far with the $ thing.  They should just include those extras in the box set and stop being greedy bastards.

Man_from_Okinawa

Post by Man_from_Okinawa » Tue Apr 13, 2004 3:19 pm

I'm going to buy the american RC1 releases of Volume 1 and 2 (Volume 1 will come today into my letterbox, fresh shipped from USA :) ) and then the big Deluxe Edition DVD Set with Volume 1 in his japanese uncut version cut together with Volume 2 into the big 4 hour epic. :)

IL_Buono

Post by IL_Buono » Tue Apr 13, 2004 3:57 pm

What I'm hoping is that QT releases Kill Bill The Complete Epic during the summer so we can see it at drive ins. It would rock if that happened. 8)
Or we could watch Volume 1 followed by Volume 2.........

and what drive ins do you know of? there's an outdoor cinema series at my local art museum but no drive ins

Toothpick_Vic_Vega

Post by Toothpick_Vic_Vega » Tue Apr 13, 2004 4:49 pm

Or we could watch Volume 1 followed by Volume 2.........

and what drive ins do you know of? there's an outdoor cinema series at my local art museum but no drive ins
Well Kill Bill is one movie, thats what I meant by the complete epic (vol 1 and 2)

I have lots of drive ins nearby. Theres probably 3 or 4 in a 10- 20 mile radius. I'd love to see it in that atmosphere, thats as close to a grindhouse experience as I can get around here.

Sebastian
Inglourious Basterd

Post by Sebastian » Tue Apr 13, 2004 9:20 pm

http://newyorker.com/critics/cinema/?040419crci_cinema
full of spoilers. and the author doesnt know much....

Mr_Blonde_is_cool

Post by Mr_Blonde_is_cool » Tue Apr 13, 2004 9:27 pm

http://newyorker.com/critics/cinema/?040419crci_cinema
full of spoilers. and the author doesnt know much....
I read that. They said it had little spoilers. So this article fucked it up for me. Now I know everything.