Aliases in QT Films

I’m doing a group presentation on themes throughout QT’s films which make him an auteur. One thing that is proving hard to research is QT’s use of aliases for his characters. The Mr. White, Mr. Orange, etc of Reservior Dogs, Honey Bunny and Pumpkin of Pulp Fiction, and Cottonmouth, The Bride, etc of Kill Bill. Does anyone have insights as to why QT would include this element in his films? Maybe as a tribute to a particular genere?

Also, we’ve got most of our presentation together, but if anyone wants to contribute, our other themes we are showing is that of Chaos Theory in his films (the characters live most of their life by chance and rather go with the flow - anything can happen) and Unconventional narration (lots of flashbacks, chapter format, end to beginning rather than start to finish). I know there are also tons of trademarks throughout his films we could mention, but our presentation can only last so long. :slight_smile:

are you looking for the films he got the inspirations from or are you looking for a reason why he does it?

[quote=“AnnaMilla”]
The Mr. White, Mr. Orange, etc of Reservior Dogs[/quote]

Check out Sam Peckinpah’s “The Taking of Pelham 1,2,3”

[quote=“The Seb”]
are you looking for the films he got the inspirations from or are you looking for a reason why he does it?
[/quote]

Mainly reasons why he does it. I know that the bleeping out of the Bride’s name in Kill Bill 1 is a tribute to another film. Are the rest of the aliases tributes as well?

edit: Oh okay, I just located Sam Peckinpah’s “The Taking of Pelham 1,2,3” and figured out that the colors are tributes.

Yeah, I prefer to refer to them as “Homages” but whatever floats your boat.

[quote=“j_c”]
Check out Sam Peckinpah’s “The Taking of Pelham 1,2,3”
[/quote]

what did Packinpah have to do with that film?

haha. Shit. I knew that post was gonna bit me in the ass. I duno why.

Joseph Sargent’s "The Taking of Pelham 1,2,3"

It was late and I was extremely tired.