QT´s FAvorite Movies - Topic

General Quentin Tarantino talk
Toothpick_Vic_Vega

Re: QT´s FAvorite Movies - Topic

Post by Toothpick_Vic_Vega » Thu Aug 18, 2005 4:58 pm

FilmGuy wrote: I think the title of "Biggest Hitchcock Ripoff" goes to Dressed to Kill.
Dressed To Kill is a masterpiece. DePalma took the film Psycho and reinvented it in his own great style/humor. DTK also happens to be a great American made giallo, another reason I love it.

Now, if you love Tarantinos movies, you know that like DePalma QT does the exact same thing. Is he only ripping off other movies or is he reimagining them and twisting certain ideas and adding his own style/humor as well? Thats not called "ripping off" that is called ART.

Cmon guys, wake up and smell the popcorn.

CPS
Fucking Professional

Post by CPS » Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:01 pm

Holy Shit!
Pete is in da house  ;D ;D ;D ;D
Good to see you here!
DREAM AS IF YOU`LL LIVE FOREVER, LIVE AS IF YOU`LL DIE TODAY
Scarface: Don't go all Sigmund Freud on my ass.

Toothpick_Vic_Vega

Post by Toothpick_Vic_Vega » Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:08 pm

CPS!! Hey kid! Good to see ya! Thanks for the reply! :)

Scarface
Fucking Professional

Post by Scarface » Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:11 pm

Hey dude, you've been in hibernation or something?  :)

Toothpick_Vic_Vega

Post by Toothpick_Vic_Vega » Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:15 pm

No ive been working on side projects/working alot and things like that. But Ill try to stop in here more often. Good to see ya!

Seth_Gecko
Fucking Professional

Post by Seth_Gecko » Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:45 am

Return of a legend!

just happy to see you re posting again!  8)
Hey Paul! *Wields axe* Try getting a reservation at Dorsia now you fucking stupid bastard!

Toothpick_Vic_Vega

Post by Toothpick_Vic_Vega » Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:53 pm

Hey now!! Nice to see ya Tarantino Is God! Thanks man!

Johny_Exhale

Post by Johny_Exhale » Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:50 pm

WinslowLeach wrote: DePalma happens to be one of my favorite directors and Blow Out is one of my favorite films. You call it a Hitchcock rip off, but what films by Hitch does it rip off specifically? Did you know Blow Out is influenced by several films? What about Blow Up and The Conversation? Also, havent you learned that DePalma is a master visual stylist, not a mere "rip off" of Hitch? The guy has been making movies for over 30 years and has influenced as many or more directors than Hitch ever did at this point. You gotta do more homework on DePalma, the Hitchcock ripoff thing is what the most ignorant people say to label him and put him in a single box. Hes much more than that.

I personally like DePalma more than Hitchcock. I also still believe what QT said years ago and I quote "Great Artists dont do homages, they fuckin steal other movies blind". That goes not only for DePalma, but for Scorsese, Spielberg, etc etc etc etc.
lol influenced by blow up? its a remake of it, they just changed vision to sound

and i like depalma, dont get me wrong, he was even in my top 10 i posted a while ago

movies i thought of while watching Blow Out: Touch of Evil, The Man Who Knew too Much, North by Northwest, Saboteur, To Catch a Thief ..

and the difference between steeling and 'homaging' will always be unanswerd, i dont really mind but think it should be pointed out

ive done my homework in depalma, dont worry

Toothpick_Vic_Vega

Post by Toothpick_Vic_Vega » Tue Aug 23, 2005 5:23 pm

Well Hitchcock stole, DePalma stole and Tarantino stole etc etc. Thats all Im trying to say. Thats cool you like DePalma.  You sorta sounded like you were dissing the guy. Hes a post modern auteur, so if you see references to other films, thats part of the whole post modern movement. QT is a post modern director as well.

Blow Out: Its not exactly the same as Blow Up. Its really its own film and theres actually use of photographs and sound in Blow Out. Its a masterpiece imo.

One more thing to think about as far as stealing: What about Fistful of Dollars and Yojimbo? What about all the French New Wave directors taking American crime films and redoing them in their own way?

Theres lots of stealing going on in films. It aint just DePalma.

FilmGuy
Real McCoy

Post by FilmGuy » Tue Sep 06, 2005 5:00 pm

Rum Punch is such a good book. I'd like to see QT turn it into a movie.

Clinton Morgan
Real McCoy

Post by Clinton Morgan » Tue Sep 06, 2005 6:12 pm

The Shinning wrote: Taxi Driver is such a good movie,  id like to see qt and deniro do a movie.
Arbeit ist Scheisse

The Shinning

Post by The Shinning » Tue Sep 06, 2005 6:13 pm

i totally forgot lol , my mind is not with me today, i even own the dvd
Last edited by The Shinning on Tue Sep 06, 2005 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bad Max
Fucking Professional

Post by Bad Max » Wed Sep 21, 2005 12:06 pm

From IMDB:

''Two of Tarantino's favorite films are 'Manos' the Hands of Fate (1966) (which he owns a 35mm copy of) and Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan (1982), which he references in Kill Bill: Vol. 1 (2003)''
The German will be sickened by us, the German will talk about us, and the German will fear us.

CopperHead
Basterd

Post by CopperHead » Tue Sep 27, 2005 3:01 am

FilmGuy wrote: Rum Punch is such a good book. I'd like to see QT turn it into a movie.
I wonder what he would call it... ha

Flintof1234
Cowardly Lion

Post by Flintof1234 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:33 pm

My favorite movies are:

1. Terminator
2.Transformer trilogy
3. Pirates of the carribean

jonitapani
Real McCoy

Post by jonitapani » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:16 pm

Flintof1234 wrote:My favorite movies are:

1. Terminator
2.Transformer trilogy
3. Pirates of the carribean
Well, GZ.
Like you're a real person.
ÄLÄKÄ KOLISE!

AdrianRWD
Cowardly Lion

Post by AdrianRWD » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:46 pm

People seem so divided over 90's Quentin and 2000's Quentin. Like you either LOVE all the shit he's be doing after his post-Jackie Brown Hiatus, or you just absolutely hate it, find it immature, exploitation, bad dialogue, unrealistic, etc etc. At least that's the kind of opinions I get at my film school.

I just love all his works, form Dogs to Basterds. I do see that he's been having more "fun" with Kill Bill and onwards, but what the hell is wrong with that? Yeah, basterds is a FUN movie, an insane cinematic ride, but it's also deeply profound and ingenious.
http://www.ReservoirWatchDogs.com
Your daily source of Tarantino news, stories,
interviews, videos, artwork and more!