QT´s FAvorite Movies - Topic

General Quentin Tarantino talk
MiaWallace

Re: QT´s FAvorite Movies - Topic

Post by MiaWallace » Wed Jul 07, 2004 11:58 am

I saw an interview when QT said, if I had to take only 3 movies with me to go to live in a desert island, i'd choose:

1-Blow Out   2-Rio Bravo   3-Taxi Driver.

This interview took place at the Video Archives in the beginning of the nineties, if I remember well.
So this is quite the same list as QTfightclub's.

DirkDiggler

Post by DirkDiggler » Sat Jul 10, 2004 8:58 am

i read or heard somewhere recently, that QT says the good bad and the ugly, is the best directed movie of all time.

AJCrane

Post by AJCrane » Fri Jun 03, 2005 5:12 pm

The Directors' Cut: Film-Makers Choose Their Favourite Movies

1. The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (Leone, 1966)
2. Rio Bravo (Hawks, 1959)
3. Taxi Driver (Scorsese, 1976)
4. His Girl Friday (Hawks, 1939)
5. Rolling Thunder (Flynn, 1977)
6. They All Laughed (Bogdanovich, 1981)
7. The Great Escape (J Sturges, 1963)
8. Carrie (De Palma, 1976)
9. Coffy (Hill, 1973)
10. Five Fingers of Death (Chang, 1973)

Johny_Exhale

Post by Johny_Exhale » Fri Jun 03, 2005 5:19 pm

how right he is, pretty much matches mine  8)

Dillon

Post by Dillon » Fri Jun 03, 2005 5:20 pm

I own them all except:
Rolling Thunder (Flynn, 1977)
They All Laughed (Bogdanovich, 1981)
Five Fingers of Death (Chang, 1973)

Bleach
Fucking Professional

Post by Bleach » Fri Jun 03, 2005 5:37 pm

Oh god. I know only two of them, I've seen only one. I can't get what's so great about The Good, The Bad and The Ugly?? It was entertaining, okay, but it wasn't so stylish like many films are, it wasn't chic, it was only entertaining and "cool". The best parts were when Tuco escaped of the train, when Tuco first appeared, when Tuco shot the follower through water and when Tuco and Eastwood were in the shootout. The film was interesting in every minute. BUT - the war sucked (too unbelievable), the desert scenes too.
[img width=500 height=66]http://i41.tinypic.com/9sqlpu.jpg[/img]

FilmGuy
Real McCoy

Post by FilmGuy » Fri Jun 03, 2005 6:43 pm

Are you sure QT made that list? Because I remember him saying several times that Blow Out was one of his top 3 favorite movies and it's not even on this list.

Johny_Exhale

Post by Johny_Exhale » Fri Jun 03, 2005 7:04 pm

Bleach wrote: Oh god. I know only two of them, I've seen only one. I can't get what's so great about The Good, The Bad and The Ugly?? It was entertaining, okay, but it wasn't so stylish like many films are, it wasn't chic, it was only entertaining and "cool". The best parts were when Tuco escaped of the train, when Tuco first appeared, when Tuco shot the follower through water and when Tuco and Eastwood were in the shootout. The film was interesting in every minute. BUT - the war sucked (too unbelievable), the desert scenes too.
haha too bad, my friend, thats the best movie thats ever been made, the best piece of cinema known by man, trust me, you should look deeper, if you think the best part is when Tuco escapes from the train youre in a for a big surprise when you find out the artistic achievements this movie put forward, the only film that makes me smile after seeing it,no matter how shitty i feel, and ive felt pretty shitty in my days, the war was too unbeleivable?? a film doesnt have to be beleivable man, G,B&U isnt trying to be beleivable ether, sit back and watch it again, still dont like it? too bad, than its not your cup of tea, no hard feeling, but atleast try to look further than the action, this isnt some american 'quick and the dead' type movie you know, near the ending when the dead unknown soldier is dying and Blondie puts his cigar in his mouth, he takes a drag and dies with smoke coming out of his mouth is such an intense scene it makes the hair on balls reach for the sky

Clinton Morgan
Real McCoy

Post by Clinton Morgan » Fri Jun 03, 2005 7:11 pm

AJCrane wrote: 1. The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (Leone, 1966)
2. Rio Bravo (Hawks, 1959)
3. Taxi Driver (Scorsese, 1976)
4. His Girl Friday (Hawks, 1939)
5. Rolling Thunder (Flynn, 1977)
6. They All Laughed (Bogdanovich, 1981)
7. The Great Escape (J Sturges, 1963)
8. Carrie (De Palma, 1976)
9. Coffy (Hill, 1973)
10. Five Fingers of Death (Chang, 1973)
For Sight and Sound magazine  Quentin gave a Top Twelve that included...

Dazed and Confused (Linklater)
Hi Diddle Diddle (Stone)

But yes, he did once say his three favourite movies were, "Taxi Driver, Rio Bravo and Blow Out" this was in a conversation with Brian De Palma featured in the film book Projections 5  But as we age our aesthetic tastes often change and develop.  
Arbeit ist Scheisse

Johny_Exhale

Post by Johny_Exhale » Fri Jun 03, 2005 7:16 pm

i like Blow Out, but theres no sense in calling it one of your three favorite movies considering its the the biggest Hitchcock ripoff ever been made, the story is pure Hitch, so are most of the shots, Depalma just included some more crane shots and cross-over shots to cover it up, dont get me wrong though, ive got the dvd, seen it 20 times, love it, but you cant praise a copy, a copy will always stay a copy, the original will always be the original

Bleach
Fucking Professional

Post by Bleach » Fri Jun 03, 2005 7:17 pm

Haha okay man, fair enough. My kind of films are Lynch, Hitchcock, Tarantino, Kubrick. I hate war movies and westerns, it was the first Spaghetti Western I had ever seen, actually first western, I never watched those american bullshit cowboy films, SO I didn't know the difference before, but it was so great and suprising, STILL I didn't have any wish to look deeper than action and so on.
Actually I'd never pick a western as my favourite movie either.
Anyway it is in my favourite movie top 10 list.
[img width=500 height=66]http://i41.tinypic.com/9sqlpu.jpg[/img]

FilmGuy
Real McCoy

Post by FilmGuy » Mon Jun 06, 2005 5:33 pm

Johny_Exhale wrote: i like Blow Out, but theres no sense in calling it one of your three favorite movies considering its the the biggest Hitchcock ripoff ever been made, the story is pure Hitch, so are most of the shots, Depalma just included some more crane shots and cross-over shots to cover it up, dont get me wrong though, ive got the dvd, seen it 20 times, love it, but you cant praise a copy, a copy will always stay a copy, the original will always be the original
I think the title of "Biggest Hitchcock Ripoff" goes to Dressed to Kill.

miawallace
Fucking Professional

Post by miawallace » Mon Jun 06, 2005 5:46 pm

hi everybody!

I'm so proud!
I'm italian and I love sergio leone's movies....good chice quentin!

kisses from italy  :-* :-* :-*

I WANNA DANCE, I WANNA WIN AND I WANT THAT TROPHY, SO DANCE GOOD.

Jot

Post by Jot » Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:38 am

Im glad 'They All Laughed' is in there....I was begining to think i was the only one who liked this film!
and Five Fingers of Death is one cool kung-fu (Although its been a while since I seen it, and then it was called 'Hand of Death')

But no matter how much I try I can never get through The Great Escape without falling asleep....I know its meant to be a classic and what not, but it just never dsoes it for me....

I havent seen any of the others on the list, though I should probably get around to at least checking out The Good, the Bad and the Ugly and Taxi Driver.....

Clinton Morgan
Real McCoy

Post by Clinton Morgan » Tue Jun 07, 2005 9:20 am

Ooh, yes. Check out 'Taxi Driver' but also check out 'Diary of a Country Priest' directed by Robert Bresson as it was the inspiration for Paul Schrader's screenplay. Both films are quite similar even though from the outset they appear to be quite different. Quentin Tarantino has said that 'Taxi Driver' was the best first-person character study he has ever seen.
Arbeit ist Scheisse

Clinton Morgan
Real McCoy

Post by Clinton Morgan » Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:21 pm

List to be featured in a book called 'Halliwell's Top 1000' as featured in this article

Interestingly enough the number one film in that book is not 'Citizen Kane' but a rather good and zen-like work of art entitled 'Tokyo Story' directed by Yasujiro Ozu. Students of cinematography will be interested to know that he breaks the 180 degree rule quite frequently.
Arbeit ist Scheisse

Mr_BG

Post by Mr_BG » Fri Jun 10, 2005 3:30 am

I thought Star Trek II was one of his favorite movies (with Rio Bravo).

JackRabbitSlim

Post by JackRabbitSlim » Tue Jun 14, 2005 1:54 am

i have seen them all except for coffy which ive never even heard of...of course im young....

mr. Crazi
Hard Drinker

Post by mr. Crazi » Fri Jul 15, 2005 5:21 pm

Jot wrote:But no matter how much I try I can never get through The Great Escape without falling asleep....I know its meant to be a classic and what not, but it just never dsoes it for me....
You can't be serious. The Great Escape is just so intense ans exciting. All the way the movie I'm goin in my head "Are they gonna get caught? Are they gonna get caught? Are they gonna get caught? Oh shit, now tey rally most gonna get caught."

I remeber reading in some QT-interview that he thinks it's the shortest three-hour-movie.
That's right.

QT Fan

Post by QT Fan » Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:19 am

Quentin knows thousands of movies. Im sure he doesnt have just one favorite. He is Quentin fuckin Tarantino.

Mr._Red

QT's 100 Favorite Movies

Post by Mr._Red » Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:17 am

I remember once, somewhere, I read a list of Quentin's 100 favorite movies. I don't know where I saw this list, but do any of you have the list, or a link to a website with it?

CPS
Fucking Professional

Re: QT's 100 Favorite Movies

Post by CPS » Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:59 am

Mr._Red wrote: I remember once, somewhere, I read a list of Quentin's 100 favorite movies. I don't know where I saw this list, but do any of you have the list, or a link to a website with it?

I merged your topic with this one!
DREAM AS IF YOU`LL LIVE FOREVER, LIVE AS IF YOU`LL DIE TODAY
Scarface: Don't go all Sigmund Freud on my ass.

Angel
Fucking Professional

Post by Angel » Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:09 pm

Tokyo Story is a masterpiece

Clinton Morgan
Real McCoy

Post by Clinton Morgan » Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:50 pm

Anybody read Quentin's article on Monte Hellman on the Pulp Fiction SE DVD? You can get R2 DVDs in the UK of two of the movies he mentioned here...
Arbeit ist Scheisse

Toothpick_Vic_Vega

Post by Toothpick_Vic_Vega » Thu Aug 18, 2005 4:40 pm

Johny_Exhale wrote: i like Blow Out, but theres no sense in calling it one of your three favorite movies considering its the the biggest Hitchcock ripoff ever been made, the story is pure Hitch, so are most of the shots, Depalma just included some more crane shots and cross-over shots to cover it up, dont get me wrong though, ive got the dvd, seen it 20 times, love it, but you cant praise a copy, a copy will always stay a copy, the original will always be the original
DePalma happens to be one of my favorite directors and Blow Out is one of my favorite films. You call it a Hitchcock rip off, but what films by Hitch does it rip off specifically? Did you know Blow Out is influenced by several films? What about Blow Up and The Conversation? Also, havent you learned that DePalma is a master visual stylist, not a mere "rip off" of Hitch? The guy has been making movies for over 30 years and has influenced as many or more directors than Hitch ever did at this point. You gotta do more homework on DePalma, the Hitchcock ripoff thing is what the most ignorant people say to label him and put him in a single box. Hes much more than that.

I personally like DePalma more than Hitchcock. I also still believe what QT said years ago and I quote "Great Artists dont do homages, they fuckin steal other movies blind". That goes not only for DePalma, but for Scorsese, Spielberg, etc etc etc etc.
Last edited by Toothpick_Vic_Vega on Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Toothpick_Vic_Vega

Post by Toothpick_Vic_Vega » Thu Aug 18, 2005 4:58 pm

FilmGuy wrote: I think the title of "Biggest Hitchcock Ripoff" goes to Dressed to Kill.
Dressed To Kill is a masterpiece. DePalma took the film Psycho and reinvented it in his own great style/humor. DTK also happens to be a great American made giallo, another reason I love it.

Now, if you love Tarantinos movies, you know that like DePalma QT does the exact same thing. Is he only ripping off other movies or is he reimagining them and twisting certain ideas and adding his own style/humor as well? Thats not called "ripping off" that is called ART.

Cmon guys, wake up and smell the popcorn.

CPS
Fucking Professional

Post by CPS » Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:01 pm

Holy Shit!
Pete is in da house  ;D ;D ;D ;D
Good to see you here!
DREAM AS IF YOU`LL LIVE FOREVER, LIVE AS IF YOU`LL DIE TODAY
Scarface: Don't go all Sigmund Freud on my ass.

Toothpick_Vic_Vega

Post by Toothpick_Vic_Vega » Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:08 pm

CPS!! Hey kid! Good to see ya! Thanks for the reply! :)

Scarface
Fucking Professional

Post by Scarface » Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:11 pm

Hey dude, you've been in hibernation or something?  :)

Toothpick_Vic_Vega

Post by Toothpick_Vic_Vega » Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:15 pm

No ive been working on side projects/working alot and things like that. But Ill try to stop in here more often. Good to see ya!